Hid Bi-xenon 55 Watts

Cobrabiker

Hi, I would like to ask again where I can get the 55 watts HID xenon H4 bulbs in Thailand? Has anyone intall one in LOS?

Hey CB,

I may have found someone. Check out www.th.farnell.com/xenon. This mob do show H4 55 12v Xenon's. I'm submitting the web address from memory via my phone. Let me know how you go. I'm not in Thailand until next month, so I can't chase it up myself.

cheers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

One of my colleagues has an R6 with HID lights, a kit from Japan that was already installed when he bought the bike here in LOS. And he is cursing the lights, now having them replaced by original ones.

Reason? he said every single day he is stopped AT LEAST once by the BIB and has to cough up 200 Baht tea money because of his "too bright" lights.

And i can only verify that they (BIB) are using "lights" as one of their many excuses to extract some money from you - i was stopped and had to pay for my additional headlights which had blue "angel eyes" in them - comment from the cop "only white or yellow light allowed, not blue". I duly modified them to produce only white light (white LED's in fact) and was promptly stopped at the very same place again, this time "it is not allowed to have extra lights at all, only police bikes can have them". Lucky that time i had my Thai boyfriend with me who told them in not too gentle words where they could stick it and what was explained last time (couple of weeks earlier) at the same spot.

So if you run HID, always keep a few 100-Baht notes handy, you'll need them. In Bangkok at least.

Best regards.....

Thanh

I love the BIB, make up the rules as fits the scenario. Mental note, carry tea money at all times.

Mind you, I don't see the factory BMW cars with their bluish lighting being nabbed. Oh the horror of it all. How can I go on.

• 2 weeks later...
bi-xenon has one major disadvantage. when switching from low beam to high beam, it takes seconds before high beam ignites/lights up. most cars with bi-xenon also have halogen high beams to cover this gap of darkness.

55 watt xenon low beam are available with halogen high beam, all in one unit.

heat from 55 watt xenon is identical to heat from 55/60 watt halogen in projector. Ballast also provides some heat. ballast is usually splash proof, but not waterproof

I dont like it too blue and sure not yellow, so I prefere approx 4500-4800 Kalvin

looking forward to see Ninja xenon. HD, let us know how it works

Got my spare front headlight yesterday at Korat 3070bhat, not bad really...tonight i went to the pub of all places, to borrow/use their pizza oven, nice and big and has an asbestos type base in it so no direct contact to the metal in the oven, preheated it to 210 degrees F and popped the light assembly in for 9 minutes, checked it and then a further 3 minutes to really soften the glue/goaw..with the help of my teelak, split the glasses off the unit, fitted the BI-Xenon Projectors offered up the glasses when done and back in the oven for 9 minutes to soften the glue and then pushed the glasses back on....

not really a hard job at all....

i`ve left the original normal reflectors as they were and not painted/sprayed them black like i`ve seen done...will post a pic later.....next step, waiting for my oem look handlebar switch and posi-taps/locks to arrive from japan, as i want to be able to switch the hi and lows off and only have the blue halo rings on at times powered from the running lights,

and while i`m at it i`ve got a power lead to wire in for my garmin zumo, which i`m waiting for a waterproof inline power plug so i can take the zumu AND the base off the bike while not attended, i`m sick of having to charge the batteries...... :D

For those interested, these bi xenon projectors come with the new digital ballasts, which are instant AND the low beam remains on when the Hi beam is applied, so no issues with switching time AND you get the benifit of both hi/low on both sides when on high beam...HD :D :D

I went with the 6000k, not overly blue but with a hint and not yellow which i hate..... :)

Edited by husskydog

At the motorshow HID kits for cars were on sale for 2,990-3,499 in the accessory hall. Plastic suitcase-like case with bulbs electronics and harness.

I saw single halogen bulbs for m/bikes at Raybrig stand for 950 Baht.

Edited by VocalNeal

At the motorshow HID kits for cars were on sale for 2,990-3,499 in the accessory hall. Plastic suitcase-like case with bulbs electronics and harness.

Do you remember the name of the company with the car kits?

Do you remember the name of the company with the car kits?

Gary,

Sadly no. I'll ask my salesman he might remember but that is a big ask. He did remember the 2,999 baht tho as I asked before posting. As the thread was for bikes and the kit was for cars I didn't think to get a card. I guess in retrospect one car is simply two bikes.

My edits in blue.

I love the BIB, make up the rules as fits the scenario. Mental note, carry tea money at all times never pay corrupt cops for such a thing. Insist upon getting a ticket & then take the matter to court.

Mind you, I don't see the factory BMW cars with their bluish lighting being nabbed. Oh the horror of it all. How can I go on.

Hi.

BAD advise! Court will verify what the cop said - modification to lighting system is and remains illegal. You'll spend a ton of money on the case and lose in the end. Better pay the bribe and be on your way. Even better - keep the lights stock, no bribes required.

BMW etc won't get nabbed as they come out of the factory with the HID lights - that is the difference.

Best regards.....

Thanh

bi-xenon has one major disadvantage. when switching from low beam to high beam, it takes seconds before high beam ignites/lights up. most cars with bi-xenon also have halogen high beams to cover this gap of darkness.

55 watt xenon low beam are available with halogen high beam, all in one unit.

heat from 55 watt xenon is identical to heat from 55/60 watt halogen in projector. Ballast also provides some heat. ballast is usually splash proof, but not waterproof

I dont like it too blue and sure not yellow, so I prefere approx 4500-4800 Kalvin

looking forward to see Ninja xenon. HD, let us know how it works

Got my spare front headlight yesterday at Korat 3070bhat, not bad really...tonight i went to the pub of all places, to borrow/use their pizza oven, nice and big and has an asbestos type base in it so no direct contact to the metal in the oven, preheated it to 210 degrees F and popped the light assembly in for 9 minutes, checked it and then a further 3 minutes to really soften the glue/goaw..with the help of my teelak, split the glasses off the unit, fitted the BI-Xenon Projectors offered up the glasses when done and back in the oven for 9 minutes to soften the glue and then pushed the glasses back on....

not really a hard job at all....

i`ve left the original normal reflectors as they were and not painted/sprayed them black like i`ve seen done...will post a pic later.....next step, waiting for my oem look handlebar switch and posi-taps/locks to arrive from japan, as i want to be able to switch the hi and lows off and only have the blue halo rings on at times powered from the running lights,

and while i`m at it i`ve got a power lead to wire in for my garmin zumo, which i`m waiting for a waterproof inline power plug so i can take the zumu AND the base off the bike while not attended, i`m sick of having to charge the batteries...... :D

For those interested, these bi xenon projectors come with the new digital ballasts, which are instant AND the low beam remains on when the Hi beam is applied, so no issues with switching time AND you get the benifit of both hi/low on both sides when on high beam...HD :D:D

I went with the 6000k, not overly blue but with a hint and not yellow which i hate..... :)

most interesting light solution. looking forward to see your pics

BTW there is a classified here in TV selling H4 (Vigo), H7(Ninja) and 9004 (Fortuner) HID/Xenon in Phuket at 2990 baht. anyone checked them out?

• 2 weeks later...

Well they are fitted, and what can i say a huge improvement, i also fitted a switch on the low beams..I can have just the markers and the angel eyes for daytime use, saving the life time hours on the Hid`s, BUT i left the hight beams as was so i can still flash oncoming suicide pilots with the passing/flash switch (and yes they are instant)..the 3 pics show them off, markers/angels and also low beam hid......i can post more daytime pics if needed... oh and i also hard wire my zumo lead in with an inline waterproof socket and plug, and i fitted 2 bleepers for my indicators, to get the attention of the foot soldiers and helmetless locals, as a safety improvement..regards HD

post-53496-1271076132_thumb.jpg

post-53496-1271076171_thumb.jpg

post-53496-1271076223_thumb.jpg

OT

I am happy with my PIAA type XTreme white H4 which give 110/100w equivalent light for 60/55w input. My bike is old so does have a large generator.

I paid 2500 baht many years ago from Riders Club but they should be available at Off road shops and probably cheaper.

I checked the link. Tis a pity I bought Narva white H4's....if I'd only known about the PIAA H4's a bit sooner I probably have gone for them!

Hello,

Would you have a pic of the Zumo lead in, and did you purchase in Bangkok.

... oh and i also hard wire my zumo lead in with an inline waterproof socket and plug

Any info provided would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Edited by Newguy70

Hello,

Would you have a pic of the Zumo lead in, and did you purchase in Bangkok.

... oh and i also hard wire my zumo lead in with an inline waterproof socket and plug

Any info provided would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Have a look here , this guy is in japan but posts to thailand. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Pr...ower_cords.html

I have the zumo with the ram mount and cradle , and i got the standard power lead with an inline fuse with it when i bought it, all i did was wire in the power lead to the battery feed it up under the usual, tank etc and cut it with about 10 inches left at the cradle end, wired in the waterproof inline socket/plug from this guy and now i can remove the cradle and zumo at the same time as i was worried about my cradle going missing while left unattended, he has the zumo cables on his site to fit the cradle. and inline fuse holders and waterproof conectors..have a look, i will post a pic of my set up soon, songran and all that...HD

Well they are fitted, and what can i say a huge improvement, i also fitted a switch on the low beams..I can have just the markers and the angel eyes for daytime use, saving the life time hours on the Hid`s, BUT i left the hight beams as was so i can still flash oncoming suicide pilots with the passing/flash switch (and yes they are instant)..the 3 pics show them off, markers/angels and also low beam hid......i can post more daytime pics if needed... oh and i also hard wire my zumo lead in with an inline waterproof socket and plug, and i fitted 2 bleepers for my indicators, to get the attention of the foot soldiers and helmetless locals, as a safety improvement..regards HD

looks great HD. what was your total cost for the projectors/HID kit.

looks great HD. what was your total cost for the projectors/HID kit.

Here is the kit i bought, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

H7 is req`d for ours (650r), the total cost was $145 + $15 postage, and $25 for the optional OEM look handlebar switch from easternbeaver.com, but i added the cost of a spare headlight assembly 3070bhat incase i f.....ed it up, but it`s really not an issue taking the classes off and on, so up to you..

I looked at all the projectorless HID kits, but i didn`t want to risk them as their dispensing of heat could be an issue in the standard headlight casing, most of the heat on mine is contained in the HID projectors so NO heat issues, and you get 4 beams on on hi beam and 2 on low beam + the choice of the coloured angels which you don`t get with the standard HID kits, and i state again no more single light for low beam, and the improvement is HUGE....HD

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Hussky, yours is definitely cool with the angel eyes, I was wondering how much brighter you are getting now compare to the original halogen bulbs?

Well put it this way cobrabiker, i now feel like a car on the road and not a bike, a very big improvement, and one area i was surprised too is that when you get to that bad time of the day just as the daylight is fading i seem to get the light down on the road quicker if you know what i mean, before you kinda had to wait for the sun to set fully before seeing your low beam, but now it`s more seamless day to night...so glad i made the switch, only thing that scared me at first was i was adjusting them straight and not crossing them over, i then had my brain cleared and realised the highbeam before was on the left and the low beam was on the right....duh

Another big improvement is the center of the road on low beam, before with only the one light you were left with a dark area in the center, but now i can see the dark clad foot soldiers who stand in the center of the highway waiting to cross....living here, you know the ones i mean..HD

How long does the low beam stay on when you put on high beam? Btw, where did you get switch to turn on/off lights, mine stays on and can't turn it off, I am riding Yamaha fz1. And also, looks like a big hassle to install the projector lights, will it fit on mine?

How long does the low beam stay on when you put on high beam? Btw, where did you get switch to turn on/off lights, mine stays on and can't turn it off, I am riding Yamaha fz1. And also, looks like a big hassle to install the projector lights, will it fit on mine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT or easternbeaver.com for the switch..

Bi-xenons projectors work with a solenoid flap/shutter inside each projector, when on low beams the shutter/flap is down..and when on high beams the shutter/flap goes up...it`s one beam/bulb in each and the top of the beam is cut off on low beam.......long story short you dont loose any low beam it stays on when you switch to high, and the flaps reveal the rest of the beam in high mode...very strong lights..great

Have a look on here http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=53770 and you will see what is involved in the fitting, well worth the effort, one question about the fuzzy i dont know if you are on H4`s or H7`s ,bulbs that is..but the kit comes with the choice of bulb , specifiy when ordering...

For switching your current low beam off if your lights are standard at the moment, you will need to put one of these switches in series with the positive low beam switch wire going to your low beam(possibly a relay req`d` depending on the current draw) or when using the switch with the bi-xenon kit, no relay is req`d as the kit has its own relays, and only uses your original switch wires as signal wires to fire up the HID`s .....I dont know where you are located but i`m in Issan, you could allways pop in for a look and explanation...HD

post-53496-1272799700_thumb.jpg

Hi Hussky, thanks for all those links and details, I think I will skip the projector type and just go ahead with the hid kit, my preference will be the bixenon 55watts 4300k, seems brighter, this should allow me see every toad crossing the road at night.

For those worrying about getting stopped by police, you may consider installing on one side and get a on/off switch which Hussky has laid out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT or easternbeaver.com for the switch..

Bi-xenons projectors work with a solenoid flap/shutter inside each projector, when on low beams the shutter/flap is down..and when on high beams the shutter/flap goes up...it`s one beam/bulb in each and the top of the beam is cut off on low beam.......long story short you dont loose any low beam it stays on when you switch to high, and the flaps reveal the rest of the beam in high mode...very strong lights..great

Have a look on here http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=53770 and you will see what is involved in the fitting, well worth the effort, one question about the fuzzy i dont know if you are on H4`s or H7`s ,bulbs that is..but the kit comes with the choice of bulb , specifiy when ordering...

For switching your current low beam off if your lights are standard at the moment, you will need to put one of these switches in series with the positive low beam switch wire going to your low beam(possibly a relay req`d` depending on the current draw) or when using the switch with the bi-xenon kit, no relay is req`d as the kit has its own relays, and only uses your original switch wires as signal wires to fire up the HID`s .....I dont know where you are located but i`m in Issan, you could allways pop in for a look and explanation...HD

katabeachbum finally understands why there is no delay from low to ignite high. bulb is always lit highbeam, but shielded with a shutter making low beam pattern when on low beam. brilliant :)

does the shutter also provide an azymetric leftsidedrive pattern when on low beam?

katabeachbum finally understands why there is no delay from low to ignite high. bulb is always lit highbeam, but shielded with a shutter making low beam pattern when on low beam. brilliant :)

does the shutter also provide an azymetric leftsidedrive pattern when on low beam?

I dont think so, i would need to pull the fuse on one bi-xenon and check ti against a wall, these are universal and not handed and presume used in any country lefthand drive or righthand drive...it`s really how you aim them that counts..fair question, but we need to remember that your original reflectors are still in place but no longer throw the light pattern....HD

Hi Hussky, thanks for all those links and details, I think I will skip the projector type and just go ahead with the hid kit, my preference will be the bixenon 55watts 4300k, seems brighter, this should allow me see every toad crossing the road at night.

For those worrying about getting stopped by police, you may consider installing on one side and get a on/off switch which Hussky has laid out.

Cool, no worries...not sure what you mean tho, you state above that you`ll` skip the projector type that i understand, but they wont be bi-xenons unless projectors, as i dont think you can get bi-xenon bulbs, just xenon single fillament(correct me if i`m wrong)..and two things spring to mind, i presume you dont want twin lows as with single fillament xenons you will just be like before but brighter, one lowbeam and one highbeam....which is why i changed out mine , i hate the single low beam on bikes..looks like something is broken..

The major worry to with just fitting hid`s is the thought of melting your light housing..Regards..HD

Wells some have shutters and some have solenoids that move the bulb inside the projector..HD

Yes Husky, from the ebay site you have posted, they do have bixenon kit, here

55w bixenon

I intend to keep the right as standard halogen, and the left change to xenon only for night ridding, not sure at this point yet, I don't know whether the light source is sufficient for only one xenon, has anyone done this before?