Why Do People Who Live Here Always Go Out Of There Way To Say How Good It Is ?

dave30

I'm really glad you started this thread, I've asked myself the same question a 100 times. I've been here over five years, and in my experience, people love to proclaim their love for Thailand for the following reasons:

1) Most are uneducated/undereducated and come from a blue collar background. Because of this, they feel closer to the types of Thais that interact with foreigners (i.e. poor undeucated peasants from Issan). They are able to overlook Thai people's lack of motivation and proclivaty towards failure because most of these expats came here because they were failures and were looked down upon back home.

2) Most men that come here were losers with women back home. They come here, toss some baht around and are treated like they are a sex symbol. They forget that back home the defintion of a GIRLFRIEND is someone you have sex with and DON'T have to pay, here it's completely reversed. These types continue to walk around with satrs in their eyes until the money runs out.

3) Most are drunks, especially from Europe. They're the ones that drink 18 hours a day and whine about not being able to eat spicy food. These types live in a self-delusional, drunken fantasy world where truth is as distasteful as phet-phet.

4) Many are naive and gullible (why?...see #1). I don't know how many times I 've met a bar girl in Pattaya with 4 or 5 "boyfriends" that are all sending her some money from back home so she doesn't have to work in the bar anymore. So...why is she still working in the bar?

5) Concerning English teachers (I used to be one), the ones who loved Thailand were unmotivated, usually didn't have the proper credentials, couldn't care less about lesson planning, loved to screw-off, loved to drink, and didn't expect anything of themselves. The ones that lasted a couple months were hard working, motivated individuals that spent a lot of time preparing for class and expected their students to at least do the bare minimum. These bright people realized they were fighting a losing battle, cut their losses, and moved on.

'Most men'? 'Many men' quite possibly. I've met many expats over 8 years steer clear of about 20 percent of them for reasons you've posted.

Not too impressed with your calling people from Isaan 'peasants'. Not necessary.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really glad you started this thread, I've asked myself the same question a 100 times. I've been here over five years, and in my experience, people love to proclaim their love for Thailand for the following reasons:

1) Most are uneducated/undereducated and come from a blue collar background. Because of this, they feel closer to the types of Thais that interact with foreigners (i.e. poor undeucated peasants from Issan). They are able to overlook Thai people's lack of motivation and proclivaty towards failure because most of these expats came here because they were failures and were looked down upon back home.

2) Most men that come here were losers with women back home. They come here, toss some baht around and are treated like they are a sex symbol. They forget that back home the defintion of a GIRLFRIEND is someone you have sex with and DON'T have to pay, here it's completely reversed. These types continue to walk around with satrs in their eyes until the money runs out.

3) Most are drunks, especially from Europe. They're the ones that drink 18 hours a day and whine about not being able to eat spicy food. These types live in a self-delusional, drunken fantasy world where truth is as distasteful as phet-phet.

4) Many are naive and gullible (why?...see #1). I don't know how many times I 've met a bar girl in Pattaya with 4 or 5 "boyfriends" that are all sending her some money from back home so she doesn't have to work in the bar anymore. So...why is she still working in the bar?

5) Concerning English teachers (I used to be one), the ones who loved Thailand were unmotivated, usually didn't have the proper credentials, couldn't care less about lesson planning, loved to screw-off, loved to drink, and didn't expect anything of themselves. The ones that lasted a couple months were hard working, motivated individuals that spent a lot of time preparing for class and expected their students to at least do the bare minimum. These bright people realized they were fighting a losing battle, cut their losses, and moved on.

If there was a winning post this would get my vote, apart from calling people from Isaan peasants shame on you!

Some of what you say is a little harsh, but on the whole I think you are fairly close to the truth. I've met so many here that really do not realise that 'having so many girlfriend' here is an unreal situation. I was talking to a 55 year old guy who after 20 years here was bamboozled when he went back to the Uk and none of the young girls wanted to go clubbing with him. 'The Uk has changed!' he said 'I could never live there again!'. :):D

Its the same sh#t just different faces in any country you decide to call home

Colino

Ps in answer to the OPs question ,easy its called pride, some people moan about the Thais and losing face well alot of farangs here are just the same they dont want to admit they messed up and go home dreding hear the words I told you so from friends and family that have let them sleep on the sofa. colino

Edited by colino

If there was a winning post this would get my vote, apart from calling people from Isaan peasants shame on you!

It wins the 'I've hung around bars, and think I know the real Thailand, because I laugh at the errors the newbies make' award... :) .

It wins the 'I've hung around bars, and think I know the real Thailand, because I laugh at the errors the newbies make' award... :) .

"Newbies"?

I wonder where you spend 100% of your "free" time :D

"Newbies"?

I wonder where you spend 100% of your "free" time :D

And if I'd called them milk bottles.......would that mean I spent my time at the beach?...... :D

Title was a bit misleading - thought it is normally the other way guessing on the moaning that is normally here on TV.

Been coming here for since 1991, and lived here since 2005 - Thailand - it's not perfect, but then nowhere is. I still can't complain - if it's so bad for the OP, then there is a simple answer - look elsewhere.

Hold on... Where did i say Thailand so ' so bad ' ??? I never did i said Thailand was on about a even with living back in the UK

I guess it is wrong of me to say anything bad at all about Thailand. Thailand is the great country in the world. I hope that makes you all happy.

Farangs who live in Thailand are the most touchy and childish people there are.

:):D:D:D Absolute classic! Your 2nd post! A1 rant dude! Jeeez are you touchy and childish. Not a farang living in Thailand are you?

I am and I love it. Adapted very well thank you and hope I die here.

1st post...bait. 2nd post...touchy and childish from a farang in Thailand. 3rd post...must be a work in progress.

Aimed at creating disagreements between TV members.'Troll', I believe you're known as. Good one Dave30!

Game over.

Anyone else got this impression?

Well, this topic certainly attracted a lot of attention!

Sorry, but don't feel I have to read all 8 pages to add my 5 cents, because I'm one of those who always tell everyone I know how great it is.

However, for me it's probably true to say that while there are a lot of problems with LOS, and I lost the rose colored glasses long ago, I prefer LOS to any western country, as they are all becoming identical quasi police states, and certainly way too politically correct. For example, I made the mistake of telling a western female friend that my Thai TGF wears sexy clothes for me because I asked her to, and the reaction was totally out of order!

I have been back in my western country for a few months now, and it's really not that great. While the infrastructure is pretty good, there's no corruption, and it's probably not as overly hot and wet as LOS, I find the people to be not very friendly, overly concerned with status symbols, and quite boring, as their idea of a good night seems to be staying at home and watching telly. Certainly, I doubt many would be into getting dressed up at 9pm, and heading out for the night life. Also, they seem very narrow minded, thinking that Tiger Woods is a really bad person because he chose to indulge in a bit of the you know what. I'm sure most Thais were wondering just what the fuss was all about!

Finally about my western country, I'd hate to be really poor here, as there don't appear to any facilities for people to survive on very low incomes. ie houses and rental accomodation are really expensive, and food is very costly. Even going to the doctor costs a bundle, and forget about dentists if you aren't loaded.

I suppose I should finish by giving a few things I really like about LOS.

It's HOT- lovely.

Women like to look "girly", and it's rare to see them dressing like pseudo men.

While Thai women are definitely "larger" than 10 years ago, they have yet to become the "lard buckets" that wobble around western cities.

If you want to, it's easy to live really cheaply.

Dental care is quite cheap, and very good ( usually ).

You can get most medicines from the pharmacy without having to pay to go see a dr.

Most locals that I see out and about seem happy, certainly compared to the west, where everyone looks as though the end is nigh.

Bratty children are not in evidence.

Feral youths don't roam the cities terrorising the public.

I feel safer walking around Bangkok than I ever did in London.

They don't pay fit young people to do nothing.

They don't pay young girls to keep their bastards.

Nightlife is more "fun" in LOS. It's certainly cheaper, unless you want to spend a lot.

And lastly, if I asked a western woman my TGF's age to go out with me, she'd probably call the PC police! ( just because I'm old doesn't mean that I want to go out with someone who looks like my grandmother. )

Edited by thaibeachlovers

What a load of rubbish!

I would hate to meet those you obviously have to state that 'most men' are covered by the above. Whilst i agree there are a number of foreigners that are covered by the above descriptions, and these do generally stand out from the crowd, MOST of the foreigners i have met don't come even close to this.

Do you pigeon-hole all foreigners before you have met them, for instance which category includes me? I am interested to know as you know nothing about me and my background, yet I love my life in Thailand, therefore i must be one of the above.

It really is as simple as 'horses for coures'. If an individual doesnt like to live in Thailand, why do it? Move away from here and stop depressing everyone you meet with your stories of despair - Simple!

Concerning English teachers (I used to be one), the ones who loved Thailand were unmotivated, usually didn't have the proper credentials, couldn't care less about lesson planning, loved to screw-off, loved to drink, and didn't expect anything of themselves. The ones that lasted a couple months were hard working, motivated individuals that spent a lot of time preparing for class and expected their students to at least do the bare minimum. These bright people realized they were fighting a losing battle, cut their losses, and moved on...

and then they became CEOs of Fortune 500 companies living in pemthouses located in New York, London, Tokyo and Rome happily ever after; their happiness only once in a while interrupted when they curse Thailand. those who did not make it to CEO live on welfare in their home countries craving for some good time in the Land of Smile which they can't afford now.

:)

to become english teachers? :)