Mil Has Had A Stroke.

My mother-in Law has had a stroke recently and wondering if there are any shops in Bangkok that have products for disabled and a location please?

I've had a bit of experience as my own mother had numerous stroke and looked after her but not 100% sure what my mother-in-law may need for walking or toilet aids yet. Things like these:

http://www.ozwheelchair.com/walking.htm

http://www.ozwheelchair.com/toilet.htm

Probably will need advice from a physio but we are going to Bangkok to see her this week and would be good to have somewhere we could to get things that may help.

Cheers YBB

You might want to check out the health-related stores just west of Victory Monument on Thanon Ratchawithi. Although I didn't go in, when I passed by one day I looked into the windows of several shops, and was surprised at the extent of their inventories of things like wheelchairs and other large items...some related to stroke patients. I have been told by a Thai that this is where Thais go for those kinds of supplies.

Another drug store -- but its more than that -- that you might check out is the one on the ground floor of Wave Place right near Ploen Jit Skytrain station. While not as extensive as the ones I mentioned above, this is a well-equipped store, and they may be able to get more things than are on display or have good suggestions for you.

Good luck!

Agree with above, would try the shops near Victory Monument first, little English speaking tho so bring a Thai speaker or photos of what you need

Also most of the private hospitals sell or rent these things. Bumrungrad has a shop on the mezzanine floor, but will cost you more than the aforementioned shops by a good margin.

I am sure many places will have a book and will order anything you want..

Where I shop for my wholesale medication, they have wheelchairs. Walkers, crutches and different sticks in stock + can order for next afternoon delivery more or less anything.. Main High St in Bang Yai + speaks perfect English… Carrefour Bang Yai has many items [wheelchairs, crutches and different sticks in stock] but a lot more expensive, as do 'Drug Save' in a shop in Carrefour

Even the larger Lotus stores are starting to have some equipment for sale in the medical departments. Most large (real) drug stores (not the beauty cream chain type places) have a selection now. Much different that it was a few years ago.

But as said if coming to Bangkok to look the Victory Monument area is the place to go.

• 4 weeks later...