Where To Find A Guy Who Can Build A Simple Bamboo Gazebo In My Garden ?

ManilaLover

Any village builder can do that show them a photo give them the size you want and where, simple but don't expect it to last too many years as there are lots of borers and things that like to eat Bamboo.

They don't last five minutes and the fly's an bugs love the rotting bamboo. :)

They last a little longer than five minutes, perhaps a few months at best. The termites are drawn to them like a magnet!

Bamboo is grass, not wood and termites love wood. Of all the bamboo laying or growing in my garden I never saw a termite eating it.

Where is the Global House btw ???

Global House is on the ring road with all the tunnels, South of town. For example you'd go South along the Hand Dong road and then turn left at the Hang Dong Big C. Keep going on the ring road across the river, then it's on the left.

It may last a year. Even if termites don't eat it then other bugs & fungi will. :) With some repairs you can extend the life of it.

They don't last five minutes and the fly's an bugs love the rotting bamboo. :)

They last a little longer than five minutes, perhaps a few months at best. The termites are drawn to them like a magnet!

Bamboo is grass, not wood and termites love wood. Of all the bamboo laying or growing in my garden I never saw a termite eating it.

Where is the Global House btw ???

Correct, termites do not eat Bamboo.... here in thailand they have little bugs that do that instead :D

• Like 1

What eats the bamboo is a PANDA!! Sorry, couldn't resist.....

Seriously...what does in most bamboo is a small borer beatle that usually comes with the bamboo and will multiply once it is cut. It inhabits the sweet hollow of growing bamboo and matures as the bamboo matures. hard to treat it because it inhabits the insides.

Me thinks you'd better off heeding the advice ofered. Bamboo gets eaten from the inside by various borers (unless you treat it well) and won't be immediately apparent. Best off sticking with metal & concrete or teak, or if you're a real tight ass how about a mud hut with banana leaves atop? :)

What eats the bamboo is a PANDA!! Sorry, couldn't resist.....

Seriously...what does in most bamboo is a small borer beatle that usually comes with the bamboo and will multiply once it is cut. It inhabits the sweet hollow of growing bamboo and matures as the bamboo matures. hard to treat it because it inhabits the insides.

Panda's are indeed a problem here but I have pest control who come spray every two weeks.

I have a bamboo gazebo that I had built 8 years ago. It is still great :)

Here is the builders phone (Thai only) Pone 089-701-9317

Edited by LJW
  • Like 1

Me thinks you'd better off heeding the advice ofered. Bamboo gets eaten from the inside by various borers (unless you treat it well) and won't be immediately apparent. Best off sticking with metal & concrete or teak, or if you're a real tight ass how about a mud hut with banana leaves atop? :)

No problem with me- no borers at all, but every year I spray it to protect it. :D

No problem with me- no borers at all, but every year I spray it to protect it. :D

Why not upgrade to something similar in style but made of wood (treated profesionally of course for termites)?

• 11 years later...
On 3/23/2010 at 9:52 AM, LJW said:

I have a bamboo gazebo that I had built 8 years ago. It is still great :)

Here is the builders phone (Thai only) Pone 089-701-9317

That’s right....they last a lot longer than 5 minutes to a year even with just natural bamboo....not sure why these guys feel the need to throw out info like they do and almost any and every subject!

spend some extra baht and have them build you what you want with treated bamboo and they’ll do well for you!

On 3/16/2010 at 4:36 AM, jackr said:

Surely on a small structure one could drill a small hole on each segment and spray inside the bamboo? That's what I'd do.

However, an unoccupied house across the road from me had every piece of wood destroyed by termites- window sills, door frames, everything.

Might be worth looking at getting it made from steel. Simple job.