Strange Request With Work Permit

I have just received this request to have a blood test with an application for a new work permit, never before has this been a requirement of the medical certificate, six months, yes, but not the second part.

Medical Certificate (not over 6 months period) with additional of syphilis blood test;

Has the lawyer got it screwed up or is it a new regulation we have to provide a Syphillis blood test?

True or not?

No, not true.

I have worked here for seven years and for the four years (while employed) had to submit a so called 'certificate', where they check your blood pressure, use the stethoscope to listen to your hear/lungs ..sign certificate and that was it ..100 Baht any clinic.

Last three years however, since I am now self-employed...never asked about the health certificate..go figure! :)

P.S : I renewed my WP today.

Edited by jingjingna

Now required: I renewed in October of 2009. It's been a new requirement for a few mounts.

Every year there seems to be additional requirements for both the M.V. and the Work Permit.

Note: Normally the small "clinics" must send your blood out for examination which take some time.

Best to go the hospital for the health form as they can do it in about an hour.

These new regulations are announced infrequently and I find Thai Visa quite often the only source

for this information. Rgs.

For the last few years renewing my WP, no one was interested in one so I stopped supplying one for Labor after they just handed it back to me without even looking at it. Last renewal was 5 months ago, no medical (Chiangmai). Perhaps it's just for new applications not renewals?

It has been a requirement since at least 6-2009 at Bangkok Immigration. Because I had read about it being now required on TV, I went to travel clinic at Mahidol Hospital and got it done by telling them what I needed even though their forms had not been updated. The nurses shouted VDRL test (that is medical shorthand for Syphilis test). I almost died as this was my first exposure to government medicine-no patient privacy. Fortunately the people in the waiting area did not appear to know what that meant. My department at work did not know and continued to process people's work permits new and renewal without the test. They were all kicked back requesting the test. I guess foreigners are suspected of bringing the disease into the country.

It's been a part of the medical required for a retirement visa obtained outside Thailand for a long time.

Just an incredibly simple check list for the doctor to fill in:

You do not have: elephantiasis

tuberculosis

something else very simple

AND

third stage syphilis

Always wondered what they'd do if someone had stage one or two! :)

I have had three WP's over the years and for the first one I had a blood test and Chest Xray , for the latest , about 6 months ago at a major BKK hospital, i was there for a minor ear infection and said to the Doc , i need to complete the WP doc, he looked at it, said , are you ok , i said yep and it was signed and that was that, so TIT.

I renewed my WP at One Stop in December 09 and there was no request/requierment for a medical cert, My step father however needed to supply a syphilis test when he did his mid 09 (In Chanthaburi I think), Im not school teacher, He is...maybe its occupation specific.

Edited by Spoonman

The only time I needed a medical cert. was at the time when I first applied in 1998 since then all renewals did not require it.

Will see what happens next month when I'm due again.

opalhort

No, not true.

I have worked here for seven years and for the four years (while employed) had to submit a so called 'certificate', where they check your blood pressure, use the stethoscope to listen to your hear/lungs ..sign certificate and that was it ..100 Baht any clinic.

Last three years however, since I am now self-employed...never asked about the health certificate..go figure! :)

Do not say "Not true" unless you know for sure. I just went with a pal of mine who needed a heath certificate for a work permit. They took his blood and he had to wait 2 hours for the results. The times are a changing, so do your home work before offering your advice!

I've been here over 20 years and have learned to keep my mouth shut. You guys living out in the sticks with nothing better to do but sit on the PC all day pretending to know everything, giving advice that only hurts others in the long run. do everyone favor and shut the hel_l up!

I also renewed in October 2009 (Chonburi) and was not asked any medical certificates.

What's M. V. ?

Possibly a BKK requirement. But that's the current Rq. for me.

Who knows why? 15 years in the Kingdom, I don't know why Phil.

M. V. (marriage visa) *extension of stay.

Thanks to all that have replied. My application is a new application as I am changing jobs. As you know WP's can not be transferred, unless there is something fancy out their I don't know about. As with Thailand, whatever makes the officer happy. Don't have the big S anyway, so guess will loose a little blood over it! Thank you to all again. OP_JJJJ

No, not true.

Not required for renewals, required for new registrations.

Just started my own company last year, followed the same process of health checks / syphilis tests for myself & my german partner !

Part of new regulations now.

Thanks to all that have replied. My application is a new application as I am changing jobs. As you know WP's can not be transferred, unless there is something fancy out their I don't know about. As with Thailand, whatever makes the officer happy. Don't have the big S anyway, so guess will loose a little blood over it! Thank you to all again. OP_JJJJ

WP can be transferred, if properly planned and all parties play ball, but for practical purposes its generally better to start over...

I had to get it done in Phuket, 2 months ago. A bit racist, but we are in their country, I suppose.

Why do you think its racist ??...strange comment..In almost every country I have worked in, (and there have been many) I have had to do a medical as part of the work permit process, its just part of the requirments.

The most involved one I had to do was in China many years ago, took a whole day from 07:00am till 17:00 and we had to come back the next day for a "political interview" as well as part of the WP process...