End Of Dulwich College

Sir Burr

We have all seen the ads for houses in the Gazette claiming only x amount of minutes from Dulwich. Do you think these houses might be difficult to sell now?

Also have heard from a friend in the real estate business that the major market for Phuket property is from Hong-Kong and Singapore. Apparently, one of the main reasons they have been buying was that Phuket had a proper international school with good facilities. My friend reckons that a large portion of this market may now disappear due to the end of Dulwich.

What do you think?

Edited by Sir Burr

Hello, please can you update me on Dulwich college? Why is it the "end of Dulwich" They were only advertising for staff several months ago. Where has this information come from? I was under the impression (from their web pages) that the Dulwich brand was expanding. Am I wrong?

Jonnie

Also have heard from a friend in the real estate business that the major market for Phuket property is from Hong-Kong and Singapore. Apparently, one of the main reasons they have been buying was that Phuket had a proper international school with good facilities. My friend reckons that a large portion of this market may now disappear due to the end of Dulwich.

See the phuket gazette postings (I can also find a Dulwich related Blog later)..

In short the old headmaster grassed up the Thai owner for developing problems and was then immediately sacked.. Dulwich reps from London got involved and it seems the owner wanted to hold all the strings and call all the shots and Dulwich are not happy..

Dulwich have pulled thier name from the shcool and will not be overseaing the curriculem etc any more..

The Dulwich affair reminds me of Asian University - Chon Buri (near Pattaya). A similar story - the university signs an agreement for cooperation with Imperial College, London, this works for several years, but the Thai side desides that they want to pull all the strings, and that they know more about running a university than Imperial... so the relationship is quite rocky now, and Imperial may pull out of the co-operation...

Hello, please can you update me on Dulwich college? Why is it the "end  of Dulwich" They were only advertising for staff several months ago. Where has this information come from? I was under the impression (from their web pages) that the Dulwich brand was expanding. Am I wrong?

Jonnie

The school is said to be continuing under another name.

The school will be known as British International College of Thailand from the end of this term, which is when the franchise agreement officially ends. They say they are going to continue with the British curriculum and it will be business as usual but there are a lot of very unhappy people there.

I heard tonight from K***** F**** that its a right pig's breakfast in Phuket, real estate wise.

Phuket Land stopped paying salaries/commissions to staff 4 months ago - after William Pinsent got his house in Kalim trashed by the tsunami.

4 local brokers have shut up shop in the last fortnight, and Andrew Park is pulling out.

I heard tonight from K***** F**** that its a right pig's breakfast in Phuket, real estate wise.

Phuket Land stopped paying salaries/commissions to staff 4 months ago - after William Pinsent got his house in Kalim trashed by the tsunami.

4 local brokers have shut up shop in the last fortnight, and Andrew Park is pulling out.

Sounds grim.

The change from Dulwich College to the British International College of Thailand will require some time to see if it is a workable solution. It is probably difficult to replace the curriculum and the reputation of the Dulwich College (UK) is not easy to duplicate, without knowing the real educational backing of the alleged support from another UK school. I don’t believe the statements from the real estate brookers are true, they were just seeking and excuse.

The educational fees at the British International College of Thailand, will remain a fraction compared to the international schools in Singapore and Hong Kong, not to mention the quality of life for the wifes and the kids. We can only hope that Thai owner got the wink, when it comes to international education. If not, well the doomsayers may be proven right.

Cheers kandt :o

We have all seen the ads for houses in the Gazette claiming only x amount of minutes from Dulwich. Do you think these houses might be difficult to sell now?...What do you think?

Observing the real estate market in Phuket I believe there will be always some "investors" who think that they made a bargain - regardless which price they have to pay (unles the price is higher than in their home country).

Dear oh dear where do you get your information??

I think 4 new brokers opened shop, and as for Phuket Land.... you are so far off base they could theoretically have you for libel!

The problem with forums like these is that you always have those who shout loudest, unfortunately those are usually the ones with least to say (or more damagingly, say the first thing that enters their head) - Please check your facts!!!

Edited by Phuket Insider

We have all seen the ads for houses in the Gazette claiming only x amount of minutes from Dulwich. Do you think these houses might be difficult to sell now?...What do you think?

Observing the real estate market in Phuket I believe there will be always some "investors" who think that they made a bargain - regardless which price they have to pay (unles the price is higher than in their home country).

I think that the properties for sale near Dulwich/BIST have at least a secondary value in that their central location makes them equidistant from just about anywhere on the island.

Personally I live in the south and the drive anywhere is a pain, likewise for those in Laguna/Surin - 40 minutes to the Tesco anyone??

From a central location, it's a realistic 20 mins to the airport, 10 mins to shopping & 15 mins to golf and beaches.