Tethering Iphone On True

nikster

I see. I guess I will need to wait for the next OS version then. I've heard that 3.1.2 (what I have) kind of broke the custom carrier settings you'd get at help.benm.at, but that they work yet again under 3.1.3 and up. Then again these don't include settings for True, I only found AIS and DTAC there. But I want the jailbreak too so I can't verify this right now.

Now supposedly BlackRa1n / Sn0w can re-enable tethering. It kinda sorta worked for me today, but I then ended up spending 2 hours trying to make it really work. I got the phone to enter tethering mode, but never got a real internet connection going.

Anyway, what a shame, and I am just going to end this once and for all and get a cheapo prepaid USB data card. Costs 1600 baht + free SIM + 150 baht for 50 hours on DTAC.

Also annoying: Even though CAT's supposed to have bought out Hutch, and Hutch now offers EVDO USB cards and services, CAT CDMA still doesn't work on the Hutch network. Argh.

My understanding is that it is not supported on any carrier in Thailand without modification. ie Jailbreak :)

I dont think this is 'true'!! I can only speak for DTAC but tethering is enabled and free with your normal data program. It is not necessary to jailbreak. Obviously with DTAC you are only tethering with an EDGE connection.

Where in settings?

Settings->General->Network->Internet Tethering

I see it too on True, just not working yet, undoubtedly they need to do something to the phone during activation or something, will get it to work shortly. If you buy the phone at True and get the plan right away they'll do that for you no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

You can enable tethering on any carrier without jailbreaking your iPhone. Using your iPhone and Safari, go to help.benm.at and follow the instructions.

Having done that, I'm able to use tethering via USB or Bluetooth on my AIS service.

Edited by bubba

You can enable tethering on any carrier without jailbreaking your iPhone. Using your iPhone and Safari, go to help.benm.at and follow the instructions.

Having done that, I'm able to use tethering via USB or Bluetooth on my AIS service.

Hi Bubba..Do you have the same problem I have ? Every time I try the tethering by enabling internet sharing in settings ( AIS as well ), I end up having to reconnect to that site and redo it all, and then I loose my MMS option, I have to re modify the settings ( "internet " to "multimedia" ) to get MMS back . But the tethering is working fine...

Phil

I think it doesn't work on 3.1.2 anymore, at least didn't for me. Possible that something is screwed up on my phone too. Still haven't switched to true, running down the minutes on my AIS first...

Hi Bubba..Do you have the same problem I have ? Every time I try the tethering by enabling internet sharing in settings ( AIS as well ), I end up having to reconnect to that site and redo it all, and then I loose my MMS option, I have to re modify the settings ( "internet " to "multimedia" ) to get MMS back . But the tethering is working fine...

Phil

I had to edit the settings just once and everything has worked since then without any further changes, both tethering and MMS. I am using 3.1.3

The settings that I have for AIS are:

APN: internet (in the APN fields for both Cellular Data and Internet Tethering)

MMSC: mms.mobilelife.co.th

MMS Proxy: 203.170.229.34:8080

Phil

I had to edit the settings just once and everything has worked since then without any further changes, both tethering and MMS. I am using 3.1.3

Oh of course, I should have figured that you have 3.1.3. I still use some jailbreak programs so can't upgrade even though I have an unlocked phone.

So tethering via the website you mentioned above was broken in 3.1.2. It worked in versions prior, and it works in 3.1.3, and presumably on from that.

Phil

Oh of course, I should have figured that you have 3.1.3. I still use some jailbreak programs so can't upgrade even though I have an unlocked phone.

So tethering via the website you mentioned above was broken in 3.1.2. It worked in versions prior, and it works in 3.1.3, and presumably on from that.

Mine was working in 3.1.2 as well.

If you have a factory unlocked phone, you can jailbreak 3.1.3. You just cannot unlock 3.1.3 (so far).

If you have a factory unlocked phone, you can jailbreak 3.1.3. You just cannot unlock 3.1.3 (so far).

No you cant. 3.1.3 cannot be jailbroken.

That's funny. I didn't have any trouble jailbreaking mine (an iPhone 3G).

Google is your friend, negreanu. Go have a look for yourself, maybe even before you post such definitive replies. I'll even give you some hints:

blackra1n

PwnageTool

Sn0wbreeze

All of the above applications can jailbreak iPhones using the 3.1.3 firmware. No problems at all with iPhone 2G and 3G with FW 3.1.3, and it takes maybe 10 minutes to simply do it yourself. For the 3GS (only), you would need to downgrade the baseband back to 05.11.07. Or just go to MBK and let them do it for you.

Sorry let me clarify i was referring to the 3GS.

If you buy a NEW iphone 3GS with 3.1.3 firmware today from True, Dtac or anywhere else - You cannot Jailbreak

If you had a iphone 3GS and upgraded to 3.1.3 through itunes - You cannot jailbreak. (unless you had it previously jailbroken and used cydia to save your shsh).

So basically any new iphone 3GS you buy today with 3.1.3 firmware and the new baseband cannot be jailbroken. EVEN if you take it to MBK with 3.1.3 they will not be able to jailbreak it for you.

Every new iphone 3GS coming out from Apple is now 3.1.3.

This also applies to MC serial Ipod Touch with 3.1.3

Edited by negreanu

Bubba,your settings helped with tethering. The tethering option suddenly appeared once I input those settings.

Now, how to mms? I do not see that option when writing messages.

Thanks!!!!!!

When you create a new message, if MMS is working, you should see a small camera icon next to the SMS text input field. Tap that and you get a choice of 'Take Photo' or 'Choose Existing'. One you have the photo, you can add some text if you want and click 'Send'.

Hope that works....

Yeah, I googled it and I was able to do it. Some sites state to put ais on username and ais on password and others do not. I could not get it to work without it.

Now it works like a charm.

Thanks again.

So you entered 'ais' as username and password, and MMS doesn't work without them? I've always left those fields blank and it worked. AIS even specified leaving those blank. Weird!

Yeah, strange!!!

And to stay on topic, sort of....

I asked a True rep at Big C (Downstairs by the double doors) about their reach around Phuket. He was quite honest with it and said Patong, Kamala and Rawai are the only areas where service is available. So I am stuck with AIS until they improve. Will test the tethering then. But DTAC is advertising locally with huge billboards with Iphones.