Car "pinking"

Patriot

If we could PLEEASE move on, all I wanted as in post #1 was the Thai phrase. Powder puff then called me conceited for say that because I was a Brit I termed it "pinking". We haven't yet heard back from Powderpuff so he must be a troll in it's purest form, or an anonymous mate of mine ... Brett?!?

Now; anyone know the Thai phrase please??

I work at a technical college. Tomorrow, I will ask one of the mechanical guys about this.

Here's what Shell has to say:

Octane rating is a measure of how resistant a fuel is to detonation or "pinking"; the higher the Octane rating, the more the fuel / air mixture can be compressed without detonation happening.

Link From http://www.shell.com/home/content/aviation...2_30071515.html

I was a pilot some time ago. All of the instructors (theory) were implicit that pre-detonation has the nickname of "pinking" & not "pinging".

This is all fine; but what is "pinging", it sounds like something to do with submarine detection (in the South Pacific of course)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok smart arse.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinking

Does it realy state that pinking may refer to engine knocking.... or does it really state that pinking may refer to engine knocking?????

from the same source also

I suggest you try to understand that different countries have different words.

Seems like we're going round in rectangles here and it's all Powderpuff's fault with his "chip on the shoulder" colonial thing.

I feel sorry for the OP who recognises the cars problem, doesn't want any diagnostics and just wanted the Thai translation for Pinging/Pinking/Knocking

This is from an American site.
How to Correct a Pinging Sound From a Car's Engine 0daff170-d112-414d-a6ca-68ad1f73e172.Small.jpg Contributor By Josh Baum, eHow Contributing Writer

http://www.ehow.com/how_4576316_correct-pi...ars-engine.html

And the Thai translation is ...................................

Just find the translation for "my bloody engines rattling"

Or take a tin of nails, go to the garage, shake the tin and point at the engine. One should work. :)

That should do it Transam. The last time I looked like Michael Jackson doing "Beat It" routine, with a troupe of Mod Daeng in his underpants whilst making some strange clicking noises.

I think this thread has run it's course .... wish I hadn't bothered now, pinked out.

Still, it gave Powderpoof cause to air his zenophobic insecurities.

Bye-Bye

Some people say "pinking"...others say "pinging". The correct term is "pinking".

Pinking (or pre-detonation) is serious & should be attended to as quickly as possible.

Check quality & type of fuel as well as timing (dwell angle & valve timing).

That's funny because every time you enter the term "pinking" into Google search it randomly CORRECTS to the term "pinging", ironic that?? :)

Of course! Is there another that's relevant?? :):D

The point being made is he insists unequivocally that is the "CORRECT" terminology and it is not....It is the terminology of a tiny minority on an insignificant island located somewhere in Europe ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Of course! Is there another that's relevant?? :D:cheesy:

The point being made is he insists unequivocally that is the "CORRECT" terminology and it is not....It is the terminology of a tiny minority on an insignificant island located somewhere in Europe ..

:D :D :):D :D :D :D

Of course! Is there another that's relevant?? :D:D

oooooooooooh, bitchy that, that's moving the goal post's a bit far.

Mr. Rolls and Mr. Royce will be turning in their grave's, in their insignificant country, why, because there has been no match for their cars in near a 100 years from another very large country that now relies on the Jap's to design and make their run-a-rounds. :)

Rolls Royce? Outside of being the fugliest and most pretentious car on the road (I'll leave it there)it is the only one PARTLY made there still, the important bits are manufactured in Germany... :D:D I'd give you more credit for the Morgan making a come back though the engine is still German another pretty important bit...

Dont know the word but maybe you can use something like.

ขอปรับไทมิ่งให้หน่อยเพราะมีเสียงกรอกแกรก

Dont get too hung up on what they call things (vocab), if you can explain your way around it.

Well maybe I have shot my foot but I've yet to see any RR's winning any races or even competing for that matter and that takes a load of engineering in this day and age, even if the frame is still wood.. As they are accomplishing something in the performance/competition arena, their engines are manufactured by BMW outside of the Stateside market.. But still I was trying to give you SOME credit :) ...... JFYI it seems that if an automotive company in the UK is to survive it seems it's only option is to be sold off. Lotus Malaysia is doing well though... :D :D

I think a tranny is worth far more then a 1 out of 10 since the car can't go anywhere without it, it then becomes a fancy monument to British ingenuity and engineering in your drive way kind of like an MG..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I spoke to some people at work yesterday & today. It appears that there is no Thai 'technical term' for engine knock (detonation). The actual direct translation of 'engine knock' is - kruang yon nok.

As far as yank engines vs English engines, both got it wrong.

Notwithstanding this, the English did an incredible job with regard to properly engineered engines. E.g. Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire for one.

The yanks made 'simple' engines that were not designed to last but did perform for the time that they lived.

The japs fall between both the yanks & the poms...they make good quality engines that outperform/outlast the yank engines & are cheaper to fix than the pom engines.

A mate of mine was a mechanical engineer, who restored vintage cars for a living. His latest restored vehicle was a 1918 Delage (French). He bought the hulk for about AU$5 000.00 & after 2 years (after restoration), sold it for about

AU$80 000.00. His opinion of yanks cars (even today), "They are worthless, under-engineered pieces of junk & bear no resemblance to a decent automotive engine."

His opinion of jap cars, "They are well engineered but designed to suit a market & last accordingly."

His opinion of early pom cars (RR etc), "They are wonderful vehicles but sadly lack some obvious simplicity, which would've made them a world leader."

Well maybe I have shot my foot but I've yet to see any RR's winning any races or even competing for that matter and that takes a load of engineering in this day and age, even if the frame is still wood.. As they are accomplishing something in the performance/competition arena, their engines are manufactured by BMW outside of the Stateside market.. But still I was trying to give you SOME credit :D ...... JFYI it seems that if an automotive company in the UK is to survive it seems it's only option is to be sold off. Lotus Malaysia is doing well though... :D :D

I think a tranny is worth far more then a 1 out of 10 since the car can't go anywhere without it, it then becomes a fancy monument to British ingenuity and engineering in your drive way kind of like an MG..

Well, once again l disagree Warpy,

R/R does not or has never needed to advertise via racing to sell it's superior product, totally unnecessary with a product of this quality and the market that it is aimed at, not at boy racers. In fact l have never seen a R/R car ad.

The advertising to the "R/R mark" is a global entity that virtually the whole planet has heard of and has followed up in their parent aviation engine technology that shone way back in the 1930's with their piston engines and speed records in the air and on to today's jet's, in fact the 1940's U.S. P51 Mustang had it's U.S. engine pulled and a R/R (Spitfire) motor fitted.

The purchasers of the R/R company choose to fit their own engine as it is now their company..

As for the trans, a choice was made and the TH400 won so naff argument about going anywhere as there was a choice.

MG, l had a 1964 MGB Roadster. Never on the drive, very easy car to maintain, simple construction with a Austin/Morris 1800cc engine. Up to 65 used a 3 main bearing crank which was a bit troublesome but when the 5 bearing main engine came along problem solved. Perhaps where you come from you can't fix them, but easy stuff for me. MG stands for Morris Garages. :)

First off my answer wasn't related to advertising so do try to keep up eh?? Your challenge was about engineering and Morgan is engineering and performing against top competition of all makes, Engineering a car to be compatible with several manufacturers is problematic and when it can be done successfully as has Morgan is doing it says a lot about the end resulting product. Motorsports is as much about R&D as it is about anything else, improving the breed.. I don't see RR really doing anything to improve the breed rather they are just resting on the laurels established decades ago.. The Phantom has to be one, if not the ugliest car on the road and far from trouble free it's just that those who own one don't really care and don't want to talk about how much money they wasted on such a pretentious and expensive piece of crap just to say they owned/own one....

No one has disputed the power of the RR engines over the years nor their versatility in many applications but every major high end car maker has proven their mettle on the motorsports battle field and so could Rolls, if their engines are so fantastic just as their engineering in a series such as Lemans that produces it's own chassis primarily around the engine..

So you got one of the rare MG's that didn't have electrical problems with their 6V system and absurd grounding?? Lucky you... As for the mini yep that one I liked and still do, shame it has been appropriated by BMW and is now their step child.. Opppsss!!! Is that ANOTHER German company purchasing, reviving and improving the breed.. I guess even with all of our efforts and sacrifice in the end we still didn't manage to keep Germany from taking over the UK :D:D ...

I spoke to some people at work yesterday & today. It appears that there is no Thai 'technical term' for engine knock (detonation). The actual direct translation of 'engine knock' is - kruang yon nok.

As far as yank engines vs English engines, both got it wrong.

Notwithstanding this, the English did an incredible job with regard to properly engineered engines. E.g. Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire for one.

The yanks made 'simple' engines that were not designed to last but did perform for the time that they lived.

The japs fall between both the yanks & the poms...they make good quality engines that outperform/outlast the yank engines & are cheaper to fix than the pom engines.

A mate of mine was a mechanical engineer, who restored vintage cars for a living. His latest restored vehicle was a 1918 Delage (French). He bought the hulk for about AU$5 000.00 & after 2 years (after restoration), sold it for about

AU$80 000.00. His opinion of yanks cars (even today), "They are worthless, under-engineered pieces of junk & bear no resemblance to a decent automotive engine."

His opinion of jap cars, "They are well engineered but designed to suit a market & last accordingly."

His opinion of early pom cars (RR etc), "They are wonderful vehicles but sadly lack some obvious simplicity, which would've made them a world leader."

Well tell me is your friend informed enough to understand that the Japs obtained all of their knowledge and engineering about engines from what they pirated from both the English and America?? BTW where did I defend an American manufacturer or their engines even once in this discussion?? I've owned only 2 American cars my entire life out of dozens and never competed in any, predominantly German and Japanese.. Their Mitsu Zero engines were an Achilles heal of the Zero as it's lack of dependability was notorious...So they had nothing until post WWII when it was all available and they were the original pirates until they finally caught on..

In no way did I infer that you ever had anything to do with any kind of engine. You seem to be puting words into your own mouth.

The japs may have obtained all of their knowledge and engineering about engines from what they pirated from both England and America but what they did do was to improve on the designs...without a doubt.

My friend was very well informed & is a very good engineer (he makes his own parts...by hand).

At least Mitsubishi 'learnt' something pretty quickly...I'm not sure if GM, Ford etc has ever done that. Anyway, I'd only ever have a jap car as I've learnt my lesson about the 'other stuff'. :)

Again & for the benefit of the OP, the actual direct translation of 'engine knock' is - kruang yon nok.

In no way did I infer that you ever had anything to do with any kind of engine. You seem to be puting words into your own mouth.

The japs may have obtained all of their knowledge and engineering about engines from what they pirated from both England and America but what they did do was to improve on the designs...without a doubt. Arguable given the current recalls in place and technology on both sides has not stood still..BTW it's my job to put words in my mouth :D:) ..

My friend was very well informed & is a very good engineer (he makes his own parts...by hand). That's good but hardly an exclusive endorsement, lots of people including myself "fabricate" much of their own parts I'm a rather capable engineer myself..

At least Mitsubishi 'learnt' something pretty quickly...I'm not sure if GM, Ford etc has ever done that. Anyway, I'd only ever have a jap car as I've learnt my lesson about the 'other stuff'. :D :D No they just invented much of it and then passed on that technology to others who "learned" it quite well...

Again & for the benefit of the OP, the actual direct translation of 'engine knock' is - kruang yon nok. Left in the quote for the benefit of keeping on topic to benefit of the OP..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Aston Martin....Pinking or Pinging not allowed.

http://www.astonmartin.com/eng/thecars

For your enjoyment.

Yes.........Aston Martin is one of Fords better looking cars these days..Shame they opted to sell controlling shares to those middle eastern chaps...Sales slumping and all...

Edited by WarpSpeed

My comments in red.

The japs may have obtained all of their knowledge and engineering about engines from what they pirated from both England and America but what they did do was to improve on the designs...without a doubt. Arguable given the current recalls in place and technology on both sides has not stood still..BTW it's my job to put words in my mouth :D:) ..

The 'current recalls' have only happened once, as far as I know, in the recent past. My guess is that they were forced to follow the yank manufacturering methods (cost cutting), thus the recall.

My friend was very well informed & is a very good engineer (he makes his own parts...by hand). That's good but hardly an exclusive endorsement, lots of people including myself "fabricate" much of their own parts I'm a rather capable engineer myself..

Are you a mechanical engineer?

At least Mitsubishi 'learnt' something pretty quickly...I'm not sure if GM, Ford etc has ever done that. Anyway, I'd only ever have a jap car as I've learnt my lesson about the 'other stuff'. :D :D No they just invented much of it and then passed on that technology to others who "learned" it quite well...

Again & for the benefit of the OP, the actual direct translation of 'engine knock' is - kruang yon nok. Left in the quote for the benefit of keeping on topic to benefit of the OP..