Large Coke, No Ice Please.

tangcoral

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not about the cost of the soda, its about who is going to win. they think your plan is to get more soda, their plan is not to let you have it.

:D I have no doubt you are right.

Of course, you've also got to consider that some people just let a little bit of power and authority go to their head. The man on the coke tap was like, "I'm controlling this tap and you will get what I say you should get......I'm the coke tap man" :):D

No, you are wrong, its a measured amount whether you have ice or not, if you don't like it don't buy it, or get some cans of coke from the 7/11.

I agree that you were technically wrong, but I might have gotten angry in your situation anyway. :D

Yeah, lets grind heads on this one UG. You are absolutely right, he ordered a 'coke' and it is a measured amount, they sell it by the cup and you even get to pick which size cup you want. You order a large coke, you should get a large coke. I have never read anywhere that it is a requirement to have ice. :D You may reply, neverdie hath spoken :D:)

If look at it this way, if it was Stoly vodka and the ice took up half the space in the glass, and people normally drank it that way, I would be cheating the seller by insisting that they fill the whole thing with expensive vodka - even if the menu didn't mention anything about ice.

Of course Coke is much cheaper and if the seller was logical, they would realize that they were not losing much, but I don't expect much use of logic when in LOS. :D

I think that technically the theater people were correct. Although I've never seen it advertised as such here (but then again I don't read Thai yet), back in the States you will sometimes see prices listed in ounces, hence a couple of people mentioned that the machines actually measure the amount of soda being dispensed, and in my experience clerks often top it off.

There are places that really do try to rip you off in regard to this. Auntie Anne's lemonade...I love it...but they tend to FILL the cup with ice before pouring in a little lemonade. They have, however, always complied with my "Ice nitnoy" request.

As someone pointed out, the clerks were probably just doing their job. It's rare that I have had been with people who "made a scene", but on those occasions I have been...I walked away. Just not my style. On the other hand -- a true rip off -- bravo! I just don't think this was a true rip-off.

You won this time, but in general I think making a scene is just as apt to make you lose in Thailand. Years ago I went upcountry...maybe it was in Lampang. I walked up to the hotel desk and an American was being an ugly American. As the drama unfolded -- and it was collecting quite a little audience -- the staff maintained that "we have no room". The guy stormed out. I was next up. "May we help you?" I politely replied, "Well, I wanted a room for tonight, but I heard you say you are full. Could you suggest another hotel?" "Oh, we have many rooms available." "But I heard you tell the last man...." "Oh, we have no room for bad man. You are good man. We have room for you."

Another time I was about to be ticket for a traffic violation, and while picky, it was not an unreasonable ticket. My Thai friend was doing all the talking -- politely -- and getting nowhere. I looked at the cop (this was up near Wat Teppitakpunaram area) and just smiled. Immediately, "You can go. No fine."

Bottom line for me in your situation at the movie theater. You won a couple of extra ounces of soda. When you walked away they thought you were an asshol_e. And probably later said, "I hate rude Americans (or whatever nationality)." Perhaps a pyrrhic victory.

No, you are wrong, its a measured amount whether you have ice or not, if you don't like it don't buy it, or get some cans of coke from the 7/11.

I agree that you were technically wrong, but I might have gotten angry in your situation anyway. :D

Yeah, lets grind heads on this one UG. You are absolutely right, he ordered a 'coke' and it is a measured amount, they sell it by the cup and you even get to pick which size cup you want. You order a large coke, you should get a large coke. I have never read anywhere that it is a requirement to have ice. :D You may reply, neverdie hath spoken :D:)

If look at it this way, if it was Stoly vodka and the ice took up half the space in the glass, and people normally drank it that way, I would be cheating the seller by insisting that they fill the whole thing with expensive vodka - even if the menu didn't mention anything about ice.

Of course Coke is much cheaper and if the seller was logical, they would realize that they were not losing much, but I don't expect much use of logic when in LOS. :D

I understand your point.

Wars have started over this type of thing :D

What they need is fake ice like they use in aquariums.

That would satisfy their need to not give you more than others & your need not to have cold ice... :)

post-51988-1268788831_thumb.jpg

Edited by flying

As they now check bags, and have signs saying no food from outside, what do you do when they see the food you are taking in?

When and where did they start doing this? Last movie I saw was in January and I didn't have anyone check or see any signs, nor has it happened in any of the dozens of previous movies I've seen. I've walked in with bags from grocery stores just fine, not even trying to hide anything.

You're completely in the right, they should fill it up to the top in any combination of soda and ice that the customer wants, there is no fine print stating you are buying this percent ice and this percent soda, and they only pay like 2 baht for the soda they charge you 70. But it's not worth arguing about.

One of the best things about Thai movie theatres is that you can bring in any outside food you want. Don't even deal with their stand. Get a few cans of soda or beer, and a burger, sushi, KFC, or whatever, and enjoy your movie.

and don't forget the steak with lobster, mixed salad and a 125g tin Beluga caviar :)

The whole outcome of that incident was right from the beginning predictable.

In Phuket you can order an orange juice for 50 THB or an orange juice no ice for 90 THB, because people know the wishes of non Thais since years.

In a Bangkok cinema it isn't so, because a no ice situation happens every light year. A coke in a Thai cinema is a coke + ice. That's common knowledge and shouting at the staff is unfair to them and barbarian for the onlookers regardless the situation. So OP was triple wrong.

This happens even in the states at some places.

It's probably already been stated, but...

On machines they often have buttons programmed for different sized sodas WITH ice. You press the button and it fills to the set amount, so if you press the button and there is no ice, this means it will look like a lot less soda. This helps calculate profit and material usage, if your register shows 200sm, 400m, and 500lg cokes but your resources show that you used the equivalent of 220sm, 430m, and 525lg then you know something fishy is going on.

Not much different than the practice of having a dinner special with no substitutes.

As far as price? Come on.. We are all making way above the norm, back home it's not uncommon to drop $40USD on 2 tickets a large popcorn 2 sodas and a candy (or even less food than that!).

I know that Major used to have a deal (been a bit over a year for me) that for an extra 100B you could get a med popcorn and 2 medium drinks, not a bad deal.

I don't think you should have raised your voice at an employee who was likely only doing what she was instructed to do by her manager.

Well I was a bit irked that the lady co-worker had to butt in and save the guys shocked looked which is understandable as thais dont experience much demands.

So it was directed towards the mean faced lady.

Were you speaking in English or Thai?

Have you considered that the guy's "shocked look" could have been due in part to you speaking in English....in a raised voice? Perhaps the "mean faced lady" had more of a command of the English language and that is why she 'butted in".

Your right. I was speaking English and didn't realize the circumstances.

I need to control this western habit of mine and respect the culture. :)

No, what you need to do is respect other people regardless of where they're from. Why do you think you deserve more coke than the guy in line behind you? The ice isn't what you pay for. If you don't want to pay 70 baht for a coke, buy it at a 7-11 and sneak it into the theater. Don't go screaming your head off like some d-bag at some guy who probably hates his job because you want to be a big man in public. This kind of behavior shows lack of class back in the western world as well, and is typically an invitation to include special ingredients in your orders should you decide to return to any establishments you create a scene at, because while you may brush off the encounter as a minor inconvenience, the guy behind the counter is going to remember your face, and rightfully so.

The machine is set to fill it at that percent. Next if he did it again it would over flow. They say if u don't want ice in your drink you are gay. Witch I think you are for posting this and waisting my time.

Oh really? No ice in my drink means I'm gay? Never heard of that one before/

Don’t take it personally that you are stupid.

Pot, kettle, black... :)

The machine is set to fill it at that percent. Next if he did it again it would over flow. They say if u don't want ice in your drink you are gay. Witch I think you are for posting this and waisting my time.

Time you could put to far better use like practicing your spelling??????

hel_l no, you did the right thing. If they wanted to be so petty as to ripp off customers like that then they should have a sign clearly posted, saying "No ice XX baht extra charge" cheap ass bastards.

hel_l no, you did the right thing. If they wanted to be so petty as to ripp off customers like that then they should have a sign clearly posted, saying "No ice XX baht extra charge" cheap ass bastards.

Sadly your way is what it will take....Meaning a sign to spell out what is common sense to them but escapes or refused by a few falang.

Many things are sold by weight not volume so to speak.

The large drink price was based on with ice. If he wants it without that is what it is with out ice.

But the bottom line in any country world wide is.....

Don't like it? Don't buy it. But don't assume everyone needs a sign to explain it to you.

The OP said in his own words....

I get the logic here

Then went on to say in the end.....

I said thank you, turned around with a grin on my face.

Best sign from the west Thai's should install is

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"

Not hard to see who is the cheap @ss here.....

The machine is set to fill it at that percent. Next if he did it again it would over flow. <snip>

So how does it work at KFC? They push the button a couple of times to give me an ice-free full glass.

The machine is set to fill it at that percent. Next if he did it again it would over flow. <snip>

So how does it work at KFC? They push the button a couple of times to give me an ice-free full glass.

He's partially right, as my post above states, there are many buttons set for different quantities. But there still is the continuous flow button we are all used to.

I experimented today and asked for an iced coffee but without the ice,it was worse than going to the dentist,i settled for an expresso in the end,just to backtrack and pretend that is what i really wanted :D

I do like my iced coffee but on every occasion it really bugs me to have all that ice and no coffee left to slurp at the end :) such a waste of ice!

What many of you are forgetting is that they take the ice thing too far, it is not comparable to other countries that have settings on their drink machines. They don't just fill the cup (which is already too much ice) they seem to ENTIRELY fill the cup with ice, so when you take 2 sips, your drink is finished. This is ridiculous and at triple priced drinks I expect to get more than an unsatisfactory couple of sips.

The ones in fast food joints around are press to your satisfaction the option is not on the Major and SF Cineplex beverage machines. If they did do it for it would overflow or just take it away and let it go in the catcher part. To my knowledge too Major and SF have not a very good business relation with Coke or Pepsi or both and the syrup mix is quite expensive.

lol..Flight the power.

I think to myself if I could start any business 10 years ago I would have got in to the ice business. Even the company I work for now makes a killing of ice per date. Around 20K baht per-day more or less and this is not including the mark up on mixes Pepsi, soda and water. But I really know cinemas in Thailand are not making their profit from there snack bar.

"Boss told them to do this"??

They have some policy like this? I thought it would very very rare to have this type of request.

Didnt know thais ordered drinks with no ice :)

Wife in the background said change the 40% to 60% as I am exaggerating.

Cheers for being a cheap charlie, i am one too.

never had a problem with them not filling it up before..but i have always wondered why they insist on so much ice...

They do the same in the USA too, coke already refridgerated and a cup full of ice.

However whenever I asked for coke - no ice I still got a cup full.

I don't know why they have to have so much ice anyway, the cinema is usually only just above absolute zero anyway. As for whether you were right or wrong, it is a matter of opinion and rests on your conscience but I'd suggest buying your snacks outside the cinema as suggested.

Nope, your not wrong, they also seem to have forgotten you were saving them money on ice :) .

Considering that I'm having serious difficulties convincing others that the price on german prestige cars is in fact NOT as cheap as they claim, this topic is a real wake up call.

Edited by Forethat

To the OP.

Something similar happened to me at an izakaya (Japanese Pub) in Japan. I ordered an orange juice without ice and it came about 70% or so full. I complained about it and the staff pointed out a line in the glass marking the level before ice is dropped in. Crappy management policy as I thought it should have been filled to the top.

TheWalkingMan

What many of you are forgetting is that they take the ice thing too far, it is not comparable to other countries that have settings on their drink machines. They don't just fill the cup (which is already too much ice) they seem to ENTIRELY fill the cup with ice, so when you take 2 sips, your drink is finished. This is ridiculous and at triple priced drinks I expect to get more than an unsatisfactory couple of sips.

Never thought this would happen... I concur with you :)

Wait 5 mintues for them to blend the mix...fill a large cup with ice hand over your 70 baht and then its all over...

It annoys the 'ell out of me when i order iced coffee and two slurps later i'm sucking on iced fresh air....

Then i always think i must remember next time to ask for half a cup of ice...of course my memory capacity is in Thai mode so I instantly forget :D

Only on TV could this topic be going for so long :)

Call me a farang-kee-nok,but when i go to the cinema i will get a small bottle of drink+bag of nuts from tesco or big c

Then its a matter of only buying the smallest cup of drink at the cinema and using all that ice for refills from your bottle...

as they say on those silly phone adds before the movie....

happy happy :D

OP-Maybe you would even happier bringing your own drink with whisky in it. :D

Edited by ozzieovaseas