Do I Need A Return Ticket To Enter?

It's a long story, but I am coming to stay with my Thai fiancee in BKK and not going back to the US. I will have to get a tourist visa in my country from the Thai embassy and see if they will give me an extension and a double entry. I assume this will get me 180 days. My question is, if I fly on a one way ticket will I have a problem entering the kingdom? Will they expect a non-im visa like O or a work permit and letter of intention?

Also, if she is my fiancee can I get a non-im o visa? From reading the sticky I think I can't, we would need to be married.

Edited by lostpacket

Try for a Non immirgrant multi O visa ,this will give you 90 days at a time , then just do a visa run on the 89th day and get another 90 days its valid for a year so if you do your visa runs right you end up with 15moths in Thailand, You should get this type with ease,

Better advice wil follow ,,colin

Ps not sure about tourist visa and flying 1 way but with a multi O ,no problem

Edited by colino

Multiple entry Non-O visa may be hard to obtain in US, so if necessary will have to accept tourist visa but may be able to obtain several entries. Suggest you contact some of the honorary consulates as are often more helpful, Denver, Houston and Portland being some of the names that regularly crop up on the forum.

You can fly to the Kingdom on single ticket providing you hold a valid visa. Thailand does not issue fiancee visas, so if not married at time of visa renewal within the region you can currently obtain double entry tourist visa from Vientiane which, with extensions and a border run in the middle, would give you nearly 6 months stay. Or do a trip to Perth for 12 month multiple entry Non-O visa on the basis of visiting friends. Will need to take with you note from GF and signed copy of her passport/ID card. 90 day permission to stay on each entry whilst visa is valid; do a final border run before your visa expires to obtain new 90 day entry stretching the visa to 15 months.

Or get married and apply for 12 month extension of stay at Thai immigration as long as you meet the requirements. Financial requirements being 400k in Thai bank in your name for 2 months before first application (2/3 months for renewals - depends on immigration office) or 40k/month income.

You do not advise your age or plans, but if intending to work both Non-O visa and extension of stay can be used to support work permit application.

Multiple entry Non-O visa may be hard to obtain in US, so if necessary will have to accept tourist visa but may be able to obtain several entries. Suggest you contact some of the honorary consulates as are often more helpful, Denver, Houston and Portland being some of the names that regularly crop up on the forum.

Try the honorary consul in New Orleans. I don't think you can get the Non O multiple entry wwithout marriage license but you might try with a copy of your fiance's Thai passport. You have to call to make an appointment for New Orleans but the lady who answers the phone is very helpfull and can answer almost all your questions.

About the oneway. Legally it is NOT OK to enter with a oneway holding a tourist visa.

Practically it is very rarely heard that Thai immi officer cares about your ticket, BUT

- I am not aware about the US airlines - here in Germany the AIRLINES will be the problem.

They will not let you board with a oneway and a tourist visa.

One fairly cheap way out of this: get a cheap onward flight (e-ticket print) to a neighbouring country with visa on arrival rules. Simply dump the ticket after arrival in Thailand. So you are on the legally safe side.

Sorry for my basic english.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks guys, awesome info!!

One thing I find interesting is that if I go to Perth or Vientiane, what I am able to obtain is different. I have ready that some embassies like in Singapore are strict, but I would have thought I could acquire the same things across the board.

I live close to Chicago so maybe I can drive up there and visit the Thai embassy to see what they say.

I almost had a problem flying from bdl (USA) to bkk with a round trip ticket that return was 7 months later. I only had a tourist visa at time and the visa was not valid for the return date. They refused to let me check in, eventually called a supervisor for me. I told him my plan was to marry in Thailand and then go to Laos for a Non Immigrant visa later. He punched some buttons on ticket and gave me my bordering pass. Not sure if the original guy was giving me a hard time, or if the supervisor was doing me a favor, but whatever case I could see where it might potentialy be an issue.

If recent the supervisor checked the computer and found that it was legal for you to fly and that they would face legal action if you so desired. It is in black and white. Previously that was not the case and they could refuse boarding.

/ 18MAR10 / 0157 UTC

National U.S.A. (US) /Destination Thailand (TH)

Thailand (TH)

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months upon arrival.

Visa required, except for A touristic stay of max. 30 days:

- for holders of normal passports, being nationals of the

U.S.A.(except passports issued in the Marshall Islands);

Additional Information:

- All passports must be in good condition.

- Those travelling to Thailand with a visa issued prior to

arrival, are permitted to travel on a one-way ticket.

https://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp