The Worst Is Yet To Come

whistleblower

With the red shirt rally numbers dwindling rapidly and the city almost back to normal, don't start breathing a sigh of relief just yet. The worst is yet to come.

Thats right Songkran is nearly upon us. The masses of uneducated rent a mob red shirts will soon be replaced on the streets by another (more dangerous) group of child minded buffoons.

Pissed on cheap whisky or Lao Kao they will be driving around the streets of Bangkok in pickups bringing misery on everyone they encounter by pelting them with water and powder etc, whether they want to participate or not. Trying to knock motorcyclists off their bikes by hiding around a corner then throwing a bucket of water at them completely taking by surprise and (in many cases) causing them to crash.

Flocking onto main streets like Sukhumvit and Silom for 3 -5 days hindering people who want to get to work or go out for a nice meal at night by drenching them no matter what they are wearing, even if they clearly point out they dont want to take part.

Drink related traffic deaths and injuries will go through the roof again, and while the entire population of Thais will be on the street wasting millions of gallons of water, the newspapers will reporting once again about the severe droughts in the north of the country!

These people are by far worse than the red shirts.

You are a miserable old so-d, aren't you? What would you do if you didn't have something to moan about?

I know that you are utterly distraught that the latest round of protests hasn't resulted in carnage on the streets, but do try to lighten up and enjoy life a bit.

Come on! What's wrong with you, for Buddahs sake! You obviously havn't been living here long enough. It's all good fun of a slightly different cultural kind! They are not morons, no. Just because hundreds of people are maimed and killed by ice water throwing jesters don't try to put a downer on it. Of course those jolly, smiling pi**ed drivers will add to the final figure. It's all good thai fun that you western, capitalist, wrapped in cotton wool type nancy don't understand.

Should I get my coat?

Come on! What's wrong with you, for Buddahs sake! You obviously havn't been living here long enough. It's all good fun of a slightly different cultural kind! They are not morons, no. Just because hundreds of people are maimed and killed by ice water throwing jesters don't try to put a downer on it. Of course those jolly, smiling pi**ed drivers will add to the final figure. It's all good thai fun that you western, capitalist, wrapped in cotton wool type nancy don't understand.

Should I get my coat?

Be better of with a Mack

:)

I had totally forgotten about Songkran until I saw this, I remember now it is such a terrible event a whole three days of the year when I cannot go about my daily business in the normal manner and have to adapt a bit to what is happening in whatever manner I deem fit. I am already a right quandary trying to decide whether to:

1) Stock up on beers, food, pizza delivery numbers, phone credit and videos then sit it out.

2) Mount an industrial water cannon, of the likes seen on the top of airport fire engines, on the roof of the house and pick off passers bye at will.

3) Buy a pathetic water pistol for 39 baht and wander around with a bottle of Sang Som watching the worlds biggest wet t-shirt competition.

4) Acquire a 200L water barrel and fill it with a 50/50 mix of ice and water, stand on the road and attempt to assassinate passers bye with my ninja bucket.

5) Sit at home on the internet and complain to anyone who I think is interested about how terrible it is, whilst counting the daily death toll.

6) Leave the country for a few days.

7) Join in for the fun on day one, a few of hours day two, stay at home on day three...I've had enough now.

Last year I went out on my motorbike to the local 7/11 to pick up the essentials at around 7.30 a.m. and was genuinely suprised to realise that lots of locals were completely pissed and working up towards throwing lots of water - even so early!

I understand and appreciate the festival, but throwing water at motorbikes! Hardly safe by any stretch of the imagination

I had totally forgotten about Songkran until I saw this, I remember now it is such a terrible event a whole three days of the year when I cannot go about my daily business in the normal manner and have to adapt a bit to what is happening in whatever manner I deem fit. I am already a right quandary trying to decide whether to:

1) Stock up on beers, food, pizza delivery numbers, phone credit and videos then sit it out.

2) Mount an industrial water cannon, of the likes seen on the top of airport fire engines, on the roof of the house and pick off passers bye at will.

3) Buy a pathetic water pistol for 39 baht and wander around with a bottle of Sang Som watching the worlds biggest wet t-shirt competition.

4) Acquire a 200L water barrel and fill it with a 50/50 mix of ice and water, stand on the road and attempt to assassinate passers bye with my ninja bucket.

5) Sit at home on the internet and complain to anyone who I think is interested about how terrible it is, whilst counting the daily death toll.

6) Leave the country for a few days.

7) Join in for the fun on day one, a few of hours day two, stay at home on day three...I've had enough now.

I'll do a little bit of all of them, except number 6! :)

This is going to be an extra long one again, but I can't remember, did they say 7 or 10 days? If they start it a bit early on Saturday the 10th, it won't finish until at least Sunday the 18th.

I might do one or two days of it, but only during the day. I find it only gets miserable at night, when wet clothes combine with lots of alcohol to give you a good start on some hypothermia. You can see better during the day for the latter part of your option 3 as well! :D

My suggestion is to find a location that will allow you to hang out at one place all day, as long as you keep buying stuff from them. That way, they will probably refill your water gun for free, and allow you to hide in the back when you want a break. Then you can play as much as you want, when you want. It's less than a month away!

Ahhh, Song Kran, my favourite time of year, driving through the sois, obstacle free.

All the peasants go home, no idiots pushing rot khens with no lights on up the soi the wrong way.

Sidewalks free and unobstructed, no hawkers and sellers of crap blocking you ouside a 7-11.

Wish every day was like Song Kran.

There are three simple rules to help you to make the best of Songkran.

1) Purchase a week or two's supply of beer and sundries.

2) Return home with beer and sundries, insert into fridges and cupboards accordingly and lock door.

3) Do not unlock door until Songkran is finished and all silliness is done with.

Three simple and easy 'songkran' steps bought to you courtesy of yours truly.

You are a miserable old so-d, aren't you? What would you do if you didn't have something to moan about?

I know that you are utterly distraught that the latest round of protests hasn't resulted in carnage on the streets, but do try to lighten up and enjoy life a bit.

:)

I very enjoy Songkran time, the best in the year for me and for my Thai family. All of us are so excited for the Thai new year, and we count day days left.

Because we go away from Thailand for the yearly holiday :D:)

No not a miserable sod. I like a water fight as much as the next person. I just don't like walking down the road on my way to a restaurant to enjoy a nice meal with my wife and have some asshol_e drench me in water and powder.

No not a miserable sod. I like a water fight as much as the next person. I just don't like walking down the road on my way to a restaurant to enjoy a nice meal with my wife and have some asshol_e drench me in water and powder.

adaptation mate. don't walk down the street - take a taxi. Or do you think you can change 63 million locals :)

adaptation mate. don't walk down the street - take a taxi. Or do you think you can change 63 million locals :)

.......or come to Samui for a break as our Songkran is onlt one day :D