My Top 3 Pros And Cons For Living In Thailand

ThailandLovr

Pros

The weather, from the almost everyday sunshine, to watching the lightning at night, over the mountains behind our house, in the rainy season.

The beautiful smiles from pretty girls, when we're out shopping. I'm happily married, and too old to be interested in them in any other way but being friendly, but it really makes my day.

Being able to sit in the garden for nearly all of our meals, watching the various lizards, chameleons, butterflies, and birds. Far more uplifting than being huddled over a fire and watching garbage TV.

Cons

No long warm summer nights, that last until almost 11pm.

A lack of easily available, decent reading material - though I'm currently investigating those computer book thingumejigs, so that may improve.

No English speaking friends who live locally. I've a hearing problem, and find learning Thai impossible. My wife does her best, bless her, but sometimes it would be nice to spend an afternoon or evening, conversing with

others, in my native tongue.

WeeGB..... Are you sure you are in Thailand... sure not the same Thailand as me...!

Absolutely certain, I'm in a wee village not far from Phetchabun. I've re-read my posting, trying to see how it could be misunderstood...perhaps living in the rural areas of Thailand is a vastly different experience from big city Thailand, but as I've only ever stayed for a few days in Bangkok, I wouldn't be able to judge. I have read on here about the "Land of Smile" not really existing in the cities, but certainly where we live, most people smile a lot, for no other reason than that they're happy, I assume. :)

I imagine your experience of Thailand must be vastly different from mine, to post the comment you did, I'm intrigued to know why.

regards

WeeGB

:D

pros:

1. no income tax

2. no income tax

3. no income tax

cons:

1. too many whining farangs who should return to their home country if they don't like it here

2. too many whining farangs who should return to their home country if they don't like it here

3. too many whining farangs who should return to their home country if they don't like it here

:)

Pro’s:

(A) Leaving Thailand every year.

(:D Having to spend as little time as possible here.

© Not having to spend too much money staying in a place where I would rather not be.

Con’s:

(A) Listening to sad falangs who are trapped here and not being able to come to terms with the fact.

(:D Listening to sad falangs who are trapped here and not being able to come to terms with the fact.

© Listening to sad falangs who are trapped here and not being able to come to terms with the fact.

• 2 weeks later...
Pros

Weather

Value for Money

Girls

Cons

Thai driving skills

Pollution

Thais who constantly lie and cheat

After many hours of deep thought on this subject...

Pro's

1. The Temples

2. The deep sense of culture

3. The ability to intergrate into Thai culture

Then I came to my senses......Girls, Girls, Girls..... :)

Cons

1. Pseudo-Thai's and Thai wannbee's

2. Even the most simple requests in either Thai or English have the ability to go completely pear shaped...

3. Thai driving skills

Pros.

Have had oppurtunitys here that would never come to me in UK, due to amount of competition.

Quality of life or disposable income when compared to Eu

Travelling around Thailand for work get to spend time with all kinds of Thais

Cons

House /business ownership laws.

Visa laws.

Alcoholic whiney expats

(above cons from experience could be said for most other countrys outside of EU/US)

Edited by stiggy

Pros

1. stress-free, non-competitive social environment (the biggest cause of stress in my environment is myeslf.. :) )

2. eye candy everywhere you go (like another poster said, I'm happily married, but seeing a glutt of pretty, smiling women every day keeps my pecker up.... if you know what I mean :D )

3. the weather (these old bones hate the cold)

Cons

1. working 24/7 (no time to enjoy the many delights)

2. health and safety standards (from everything electrical to the way food is prepared and stored)

3. carelessness (& the cultural norm that encourages lack of individual responsibility)

Pros:

1. Having money means that your life is so much easier.

2. My friends and their families.

3. Plentiful supply of people to work at low wages.

Cons:

1. Pollution

2. Having money makes you a target.

3. Lack of affordable quality products and services. (Try buying a decent washer, or mattress or clothes that last.)

Pro's:

1 - Tennis every night in near perfect conditions for the equivalent of 5 quid a month

2 - No longer dread Sundays as Monday morning blues have disappeared

3 - Being told I am handsome by many ladies who are very easy on the eye

Cons:

(struggling here...)

1 - Miss the big occasions (weddings, birthdays, stag doos etc.) from back home

2 - Less than average "customer care" at stores

3 - Too much use of the term "mai mee" (don't have / no, there isn't) instead of saying "Mae nae jai" (i'm not sure / I don't know) in order to save face.

Pros

The weather, from the almost everyday sunshine, to watching the lightning at night, over the mountains behind our house, in the rainy season.

The beautiful smiles from pretty girls, when we're out shopping. I'm happily married, and too old to be interested in them in any other way but being friendly, but it really makes my day.

Being able to sit in the garden for nearly all of our meals, watching the various lizards, chameleons, butterflies, and birds. Far more uplifting than being huddled over a fire and watching garbage TV.

Cons

No long warm summer nights, that last until almost 11pm.

A lack of easily available, decent reading material - though I'm currently investigating those computer book thingumejigs, so that may improve.

No English speaking friends who live locally. I've a hearing problem, and find learning Thai impossible. My wife does her best, bless her, but sometimes it would be nice to spend an afternoon or evening, conversing with

others, in my native tongue.

WeeGB..... Are you sure you are in Thailand... sure not the same Thailand as me...!

Absolutely certain, I'm in a wee village not far from Phetchabun. I've re-read my posting, trying to see how it could be misunderstood...perhaps living in the rural areas of Thailand is a vastly different experience from big city Thailand, but as I've only ever stayed for a few days in Bangkok, I wouldn't be able to judge. I have read on here about the "Land of Smile" not really existing in the cities, but certainly where we live, most people smile a lot, for no other reason than that they're happy, I assume. :)

I imagine your experience of Thailand must be vastly different from mine, to post the comment you did, I'm intrigued to know why.

regards

WeeGB

WeeGB,

Sounds to me like you're in the same Thailand as me, and I'm in rural Rayong.

My pro's:

1. Designed and built my own small house for less than the cost of a beach hut in the UK.

2. Eating healthly (fresh fruit and vegetables from our garden, with an occasional freshly caught fish or freshly killed chicken) outside every day, with just the circadeas and jingchooks making noise in the background.

3. Reasonably stress-free living, although as dobadoy points out its mostly self induced.

Cons:

1. No snow - yes really!!

2. Lack of quality conversations (I'm also a little deaf and have problems picking up the local lingo, and not many farangs around here)

3. Too many pretty girls smiling at me all the time.....and an intensely jealous gf....LOL

(if I can have one more it would be Thai TV)

PROS;

-cheap labor / services

-24/7 availability of pretty decent food

-friendly people that create an easy going stress-free atmosphere

CONS;

-very expensive goods - vehicles, motorcycles, brand name clothes, cameras, gps, electronics, just about everything is more expensive in LOS (vs US)

-rights and privileges that depend on your wallet and skin color - this is often a pro for most of falang

-falang community poor company, bitter, weird, or all three

Pros

Weather

Value for Money

Girls

Cons

Thai driving skills

Pollution

Thais who constantly lie and cheat

After many hours of deep thought on this subject...

Pro's

1. The Temples

2. The deep sense of culture

3. The ability to intergrate into Thai culture

Then I came to my senses......Girls, Girls, Girls..... :)

Cons

1. Pseudo-Thai's and Thai wannbee's

2. Even the most simple requests in either Thai or English have the ability to go completely pear shaped...

3. Thai driving skills

no offense to thais, BUT WHO WANNA BE THAI?

Pros

1 Its not governed by the Labour party

2 I dont pay tax if i live here

3 Available women (not bg's)

Cons

1 The cheese is crap or ludicrously expensive for good quality stuff in the few places its available.

2 No decent ham, for making cheese and ham sandwiches

3 Cant trust 1 single adult here, applies to the natives and farang!

I don't think so: No red-faced, overweight, middle-aged men in Camel shorts with sub-tabloid opinions and cheaply-purchased partners in my social circle. But perhaps that's where I'm going wrong. When's the next Thaivisa get together?

I can hardly wait - at which point I have give you the whole bottle of Heineken I owe you mate :)

I don't think so: No red-faced, overweight, middle-aged men in Camel shorts with sub-tabloid opinions and cheaply-purchased partners in my social circle. But perhaps that's where I'm going wrong. When's the next Thaivisa get together?

are you suggesting that the Thaivisa get-together reflects the stereotype you have outlined?

bit much when you are a guest on here and freely commenting with those you so obviously distain - 'cheaply purchased partners' is a real insult to some Thai girls who have little choice and is extremely disrespectful - you should withdraw and apologise.

Some pretty funny replies in this thread :)

In my eyes:

Pros

1) Nightlife and access to social interaction with people from all over the world

2) Fantastic getaways throughout the country while traveling there itself costs close to nothing

3) Food. Food everywhere. And cheap. If you have an eating disorder this country is the place for you.

Cons

1) Local alcohol and laws related to alcohol consumption. Tastes like distilled urine, for the most part. 1 or 2 brands are ok at best.

2) Traffic. Probably the worst thing about this country. 20 minute red lights and such.

3) Always too hot. Except for maybe one week in a year.

1. The time and easy access to play golf every sat and sun and sometimes during the week

2. Nightlife and access to social interaction with people from all over the world (stole that one, sorry)

3. A culture and cost basis that allows me to keep a second wife and still save money towards retirment

1. Even the most simple requests in either Thai or English have the ability to go completely pear shaped. (stole that one too)

2. The Thai tendency towards pedantic enforcement of the even the most inane rules.

3. Limited availability of American fast food, i.e. no Arby’s, no Taco Bell, no Whataburger, no chick fil a, etc (sorry, but it’s the truth.)

TH

3 more pros all related

pace of life (slow)

not neurotic people (what is the opposite of neurotic?)

calm (ie people don't honk their car horns much driving or get bent out of shape if you bump into them walking on the street)