Register For Marriage To Thai National

paul3404

Hello,

I am gettimng married in june to a thai national, i understand that before i do this i must go to the british embassy in bangkok and register to marry and fill out some sort of paperwork.

Has anyone out there been to the embassy and done this before, i was wondering what i need to register and also how much it will cost and also how long it is likely to take.

Any information would be really helpful.

Thank you in advance

Paul

Think hard before doing this, marry in the village means nothing financial wise, marry in the Tessabahn and she cops for 50% of everything in Thailand, marry at the Embassy and all you have. Why marry one, they are not for marrying but just to rent untill you get bored or see a better model.

Wise up..

Think hard before doing this, marry in the village means nothing financial wise, marry in the Tessabahn and she cops for 50% of everything in Thailand, marry at the Embassy and all you have. Why marry one, they are not for marrying but just to rent untill you get bored or see a better model.

Wise up..

Have you forgotten your medication today?

You go to the local branch of your UK Embassy/consulate with the completed printed form "Affirmation of freedom to marry"

download http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache%3AbsW...hl=en&gl=uk

(at the bottom of the form you must change the name of Embassy/consulate to the place you go)

If divorced you must suppy the original divorce decree and you must give the names and addresses of 2 referees living in your country of origin (but they don't check with them). I would not advise registering the marriage in the UK as they require the original Thai marriage certificate to be handed in. Your Thai marriage certificate is valid in the UK for all legal purposes.

The "Affirmation of freedom to marry" must be signed by your consulate notary (3000bht approx signed overnight)

You must then have this document translated into Thai script by a registered translation service and stamped and countersigned by the "Ministry of Foreign Affairs" in Bangkok. This complete translation and stamp costs approx 2500bht. ONLY pay the translation service a deposit, pay the rest when the translation service hands you the Original affirmation (stamped on the back) and their translation (stamped on the back) by the ministry of foreign affairs. This document must be used within 3 months of the Ministry date stamp, else start again.

Please note, some foolish people have paid upto 30k bht to the translation companies, I beat them down to 2,500bht.

(including translation, posting to ministry and all ministry fees, returned to my hand within 7 days)

Then you just turn up at any local Amphur office with the documents and your passport, the Thai lady and her ID card. Cost 70bht

PS

The translation must be completely Thai, only our numbers are allowed, this document will give you your official Thai name so make sure the translation service have any preferences for the Thai spelling of your name noted well, once stamped you are stuck with their spelling of your name for all Thai documentation.

PPS

When your Thai wife changes her ID card to your surname (needs Tabian ban blue book at her registered Amphur office) you get to choose the spelling of her christian name and her ID card will have her new name in Roman and Thai lettering. Cost 30bht

PPPS

I believe a former poster to be in error, funds transferred into Thailand after the official wedding may be considered joint assets, purchases made after the wedding are joint assets, so buy that condo/motorcycle/car in you name before the wedding. Engagement gifts are required under Thai law to be returned if the wedding does not happen.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Wise up..

Have you forgotten your medication today?

Actually he was never on meds. Thats the problem.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ister-marriage/

If you go to the brit embassy site as above it will detail exactly what you need to do

Also has a template of typical letter you need to write, if married before is essential

you bring original decree nisi. You can take care all of this without the need to use the

services of a local agent, aside from translation of affirmation.