Fines For Traffic Violations

Appreciate any input based on your experiences relating to the following situation

After issue of a ticket for a recent traffic fine, the policeman offered to return my driving license at the scene and make payment on my behalf at the police station

My concern was that given the ticket has already been written, what happens if the policeman fails to make the payment on my behalf after I have given him the money?

Would the ticket still be processed by the police station and then when I apply to renew the tax for my vehicle or renew my driving license, I find that I need to pay the "unpaid" fine a second time?!

Do others have any similar experience they can provide?

Got stopped the other week in BKK Kept me there at side of the road for 30 min. As Id refused to give him the usual back hander. In the end wrote out a ticket for 500 Baht. My Thai wife. Told me I had to go to the station and pay but if I gave him 200 bt he would sort it out for me. Is that 200+500 I asked no just 200. So in the end gave him the 200 what did he do with the ticket. As we drove off he was seen ripping it up. Moral pay the back hander in the first place.

I always have 100 bth ready for these situations, and I only show that to them saying all I have and most of the time they accept it, but first they want more and tell me the ticket is for 500 bth and once in few times I will take the ticket too. But if you have your license with you the ticket is not good and they might as well rip it up

^ Me too, in my ash tray never to open my wallet in front of them as they'll sneak a peek and the fine can mysteriously increase.. But in response to the OP if the ticket is to be satisfied at the station they confiscate your license until paid at the given substation so if he did not take your license the ticket is not recorded as it is in the west, the proof that you paid roadside is the fact that you retain your license..

Got stopped the other week in BKK Kept me there at side of the road for 30 min. As Id refused to give him the usual back hander. In the end wrote out a ticket for 500 Baht. My Thai wife. Told me I had to go to the station and pay but if I gave him 200 bt he would sort it out for me. Is that 200+500 I asked no just 200. So in the end gave him the 200 what did he do with the ticket. As we drove off he was seen ripping it up. Moral pay the back hander in the first place.

Yes, backhander? You hit a cop?? :) More like under the license though, I can't get my hand behind my back while sitting in the car easily enough...... :D It doesn't work on toll booth stops though as they are being watched too closely completely different attitude with no negotiation tolerated, it is a real pain to track down the specified ticketing station too as they do not have any centralized location with which to pay the fine and retrieve your license..

Yes, backhander? You hit a cop?? :) More like under the license though, I can't get my hand behind my back while sitting in the car easily enough...... :D It doesn't work on toll booth stops though as they are being watched too closely completely different attitude with no negotiation tolerated, it is a real pain to track down the specified ticketing station too as they do not have any centralized location with which to pay the fine and retrieve your license..

I don't understand how they can take your license. Isn't it illegal to drive without it?

^ Yeah that's the contradiction and catch 22 in place as you can get another ticket if the wrong cop is on a bad day, the ticket you have is supposed to be proof and of course you are supposed to take care of it immediately so the date on the ticket is what your judged on but in theory you can get another ticket from the wrong cop.. Oh the webs they weave..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Ahh, that explains why they asked me to move away from the toll booth then. So I drove 50m further down the road so he had to walk. Then got told that pick ups can only go through the first 3 booths. New one to me, although this was after I had disagreed that I was speeding, and driving in the right hand lane. So that must have been the last resort, "pick up can only go booth 1 2 3 ..... you not see the sign?"

"NO"

"OK I take licence and give you ticket"

"OK"

"You have to pay fine police station"

"OK"

"1,000 Baht"

"OK"

"You not get license for 7 days"

"OK"

"You have to drive long way to police station"

"OK, please give me a ticket so I can go"

"You want to drive to police station to pay fine, for drive through booth 4 in pick up?"

"Yes"

(long pause)

"What football team you support?"

"Liverpool"

"OK, drive safe, don't forget, only booth 1 2 3 for pick up"

"Thank you, I will not forget"

............. priceless

If you have not done anything wrong, stick to your guns, they will get bored in the end. Especially if it is some made up charge

"What football team you support?"

"Liverpool"

"OK, drive safe, don't forget, only booth 1 2 3 for pick up"

"Thank you, I will not forget"

............. priceless

If you have not done anything wrong, stick to your guns, they will get bored in the end. Especially if it is some made up charge

Well that sucks! When I was asked which football team I said Miami Dolphins and I got a ticket :D:D . I guess being Thai he didn't understand real football :D ... It may have been warranted though as they have sucked of late. :) ..

Edited by WarpSpeed