Reentry Dates On Retirement Visa - Update

Thought I would update my experience on reentry dates on my O-A Non-Immigrant (Retirement) Visa. This has been my experience since being issued a Retirement visa in April 2004:

April 8 2004 - O-A retirement visa issued via the Thai consulate in Houston Texas. “Good for multiple journeys to Thailand. This visa must be utilized before April 7 2005.”

April 26 2004 - Arrived in Thailand; visa stamped admitted until 25 Apr 2005.

Since this time, I have left and reentered Thailand 7 times. Each time, Thai Immigration stamped my passport with an 'Admitted To Date' one year after my reentry date.

For example, when I reentered the country on April 1 2005, the 'Admitted To Date' stamped in my passport was March 31 2006.

I was surprised that when I reentered Thailand May 16 2005 (after a trip to the USA) that Thai Immigration stamped my passport with an 'Admitted To Date' of May 15 2006.

At this rate, it would seem that I would never need to renew my O-A visa as long as I leave and reenter the country at least once a year, even though I know this is not logical.

Be careful...............it sounds like Immigration havn't looked at your passport too closely when you entered last. If your utilise date was April 7th 2005 and you came back in on the 16th May 2005 you were not entitled to another years stay.

I would suggest a trip to your local immigration office to rectify the mistake..........my guess is that you will have to reapply for the years extension, as to whether you/l be asked to obtain another visa (of some description) is another matter.

Thought I would update my experience on reentry dates on my O-A Non-Immigrant (Retirement) Visa.  This has been my experience since being issued a Retirement visa in April 2004:

April 8 2004 - O-A retirement visa issued via the Thai consulate in Houston Texas. “Good for multiple journeys to Thailand. This visa must be utilized before April 7 2005.”

April 26 2004 - Arrived in Thailand; visa stamped admitted until 25 Apr 2005.

Since this time, I have left and reentered Thailand 7 times.  Each time, Thai Immigration stamped my passport with an 'Admitted To Date' one year after my reentry date.

For example, when I reentered the country on April 1 2005, the  'Admitted To Date'  stamped in my passport was March 31 2006.

I was surprised that when I reentered Thailand May 16 2005 (after a trip to the USA) that Thai Immigration stamped my passport with an 'Admitted To Date' of May 15 2006. 

At this rate, it would seem that I would never need to renew my O-A visa as long as I leave and reenter the country at least once a year, even though I know this is not logical.

Shot,It seems to me that you should have gotten another "admitted until " date of March 31,2006,

since this is the last rentry you did before the visa expiration date.(april 6,2005)

I agree with Thai Flyer in that the Imm. officer failed to see that your visa had already expired when you rentered on May16,but since you had gotten your last

"legit" year's rentry on April 1,I dont see why you would have to apply for your extension of stay until just before the March 31 ,2006 date rolls around....

Please let us know how this plays out,(ill be doing my 1st multi OA recon to the U.S. in August,visa expires Feb.15,2006) All the best,the Harpman.

Another case of Immigration getting befuddled by O-A visas. At least now they're erring in our favor, to some degree at least.

My take is that Shot should have received a 30-day stamp upon his last entry to Thailand since he had no valid reentry permit (to include the expired multiple entry feature of his O-A visa). But, being safely -- and by all appearances, legally -- back in Thailand, why not just saunter down to local Immigration and apply for a 're entry permit.' This will at least clear the air -- and if somehow the sh1t hits the fan, like, things are queered and you won't be able to long extend come the time, then at least you'll be forwarned to work on plan B.

In any event, if Shot does plan to leave again before his last 'admitted until' date, he should have a "re entry permit," as being lucky twice probably won't happen.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree it's logical that I should not have been given another year 'Admitted until' date after reentering Thailand the last time.

I'll take the advice of knowledgable posters and soon visit Thai Immigration for clarification (I know, everyone's laughing :o ).

Keep in mind that I posted earlier that I went to Suan Phlu Immigration in March 2005 to ask about renewing my retirement visa. 2 different individuals there looked at my passport and both told me that I would not need to reapply for renewal until a few weeks before Jan 2006, which then was the latest 'admitted until' date stamped in my passport.

We'll see what wisdom they impart on me this next visit.

My take is that Shot should have received a 30-day stamp upon his last entry to Thailand since he had no valid reentry permit

Agreed.................i/d be a little concerned in that even if the mistake has been missed by immigration i think come the crunch the onus would be on the passport holder to ensure all stamps/visa's are in order.

Shot,It seems to me that you should have gotten another "admitted until " date of March 31,2006,

Only if he had a re-entry permit of course.

I totally agree,TF, in Shot's OP he did'nt say one way or the other whether or not he'd purchased a reentry permit to cover the time between the visa expiration date and his last(at that time) admitted until date of March 31,06....He certainly should have, as once the visa expires ,so does the multi entry feature that comes along with it. Anyway,it looks like he did'nt do so and Jim Gant is right in that case , it looks like Shot really should've gotten a 30 day entry stamp when rentering in May.I guess we shall see where the brunt of the onus will fall..as you say ,TF ,I think odds are it will fall on the passport holder,Best of luck ,anyway,Shot!

Shotover,

Your Visa expired on 7th April 2005.

So when you came to Thailand on 16th May 2005

you did not have a Visa (nor a re-entry permit?)

So on what basis did you intend to enter Thailand?

Without a re-entry Permit or an extension you lost your O-A.

You should have been entitled to just a 30 day on arrival.

When the Immigration told you that you were OK until Jan 2006

(at that time) that was on the assumption you will not leave the

Kingdom without a Re-entry Permit.

If you had obtained a Re-entry Permit it would have been

valid to 31st March 2006 and your admitted to stamp on

16th May 2005 would then have said 31st March 2006 also.

Strictly speaking you should need to start your

retirement Visa process again - what actually happens

will be of great interest. Do keep us posted.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

Please let us know how this plays out,(ill be doing my 1st multi OA recon to the U.S. in August,visa expires Feb.15,2006) All the best,the Harpman.

Hi Harpman,

Would you like to clarify what you wrote?

What do you mean by "1st multi OA recon to the US"?

Reminder for all - if your multi OA VISA will expire before

your next entry to the Kingdom - you must obtain a

Re-entry Permit which will expire on your current

"Admitted to Date". And if your return will be after

that then you need to process an annual extension

AND then get a Re-entry permit.

However annual extensions are not normally processed

more than one month prior to the current admitted to date

and it is normal to have to be in the Kingdom at that time.

Hi Shotover

Curiouser & Curiouser ...

I have seen on another thread that you asked the

Forum Members if they thought you should get a

re-entry permit ...

Several advised you to do so ...

So was there a reason for not doing so?

I think we need to clear up what new members

are regarding as confusion.

I see that you realised it was wrong to regard

an "Admitted until ..." stamp as "Re-entry Stamp"

As already stated it is of course a "Leave by"

stamp which is cancelled with your next departure stamp.

However its date can be kept "alive" with a Re-entry Permit.

Another point I would raise - in Terminolgy

- not playing with words - I consider it misleading to

refer to "Renewal" of the Retirement visa - which to me

implies a self contained one year stay.

Correct terminolgy is Extension.

The basis for my stay in the Kingdom is the

visa I obtained 7 years ago and which has

been extended annually for the past 7 years.

If at any time you leave the Kingdom without

an extension or re-entry permit - the basis of your

stay is cancelled - and you have to go back to square

one and apply for a new visa.

After continually extending for 3 years one is eligible

to APPLY for Permanent Residence.

Could I suggest that someone posts a Picture of a

Re-entry Permit here - sorry I don't know how to do it.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

Hi Harpman,

Would you like to clarify what you wrote?

What do you mean by "1st multi OA recon to the US"?

Reminder for all - if your multi OA VISA will expire before

your next entry to the Kingdom - you must obtain a

Re-entry Permit which will expire on your current

"Admitted to Date". And if your return will be after

that then you need to process an annual extension

AND then get a Re-entry permit.

However annual extensions are not normally processed

more than one month prior to the current admitted to date

and it is normal to have to be in the Kingdom at that time.

Hi Bill,1st of all I agree with your assessment of Shot's situation as lucidly explained in your previous post... Anyway,what I meant by my "recon" was just that I need to return to the U.S. to tend to some unfinished business,visit relatives,etc. Will then return to LOS around the end of October,05.. Visa still valid until Feb. 06, Will probably leave/return again in early Feb. to get my last 365 day entry before visa expiration(Feb 15) ,and purchase a rentry permit ASAP after that date to protect by last 365 days. Will be time to extend (in C.Mai) middle of Jan. 07.Anyway,that's the plan for now,the Harpman