Overheating Dsl Gateway/router

DaveBKK

I'm having an issue with overheating DSL gateway / wireless routers. Previously Linksys, now Netgear. The thing heats up and starts dropping packets and disconnecting. Have to unplug it, let it cool down for a bit and then it's fine for a while. Have to unplug it and let it cool for like 15 minutes 2-3 times a day.

Anyone else experience the same? Any other options for modem / routers that are heat resistant?

Perhaps better to just get separate modem and wireless router?

I had similar issues with my router, cooked up and stopped.

I took the brute force approach involving a hole saw and 50mm fan (all I had at the time). There was 12V available inside the router to power the fan.

Not pretty but it's not stopped since :)

Try cleaning the fan or the air slits. Move the router to a better ventilated location. Don't put it close to other devices that radiate heat. Just pointing a fan at the device to remove the excess heat from around the router will help, too.

Of course, cutting a hole in the enclosure and adding a fan is the geek way of doing it and my absolute favorite, Crossy! :)

Edited by welo

Geek ^^^ Me? 555 :)

All of the SOHO routers I've owned have got very warm, evidently living in an enclosed equipment rack in a non-aircon room was just too much for it. The two servers in the same rack have never shown signs of thermal stress although they have LOTS of fans.

Actually with the fan on 12V the thing was almost hovering, so it's now got the 12V fan but running of the internal 5V supply, still cool but not attempting to fly.