THAI Plane Makes Emergency Landing In India

george

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst searching for something else I stumbled across this.

I know it's a bit off topic but it tickled me.

"DATE/SITE & INVEST. ID#: 30 Aug 02 SaoPaulo - Campo Grande Brazil

AIRCRAFT & REGISTRATION: Fokker100 of TAM PT-MQH

CIRCUMSTANCES: One hour after t/off pilot radioed an emergency call and

subsequent forced ldg on a field killed a cow.

DEATHS & INJURIES: Nil/24 pax on board

PRELIMINARY ANALYSIS2: Rpts indicate fuel shortage was the cause. Accident

represents 5th hull loss for TAM and 6th for Fokker 100."

Can you imagine the letters now?

Dear John,

My buffalo been dead by airplane.

Me no food, please send big money for new buffalo.

Love you long time,

Lek

Once again shit happens, birds do not have the sense to get out of the way.

The first five passenger windows on the 747 are thicker than the rest because they face the air flow.

Engine spinners on many aircraft are painted with a white helix. It flashes as the engine turns and meant to frighten the birds.

Why do aircraft land during the day with their lights on? To frighten the birds.

Alaskan that had a strike in flight. On ground the engineers found fish scales on the screen. Explain that one.

THINGS GO WRONG - www.micon.net/oops

Pilot family sues airline for $4m

From correspondents in Bangkok

May 31, 2005

THE family of a Thai Airways pilot whose jet crashed in Thailand in 1998 killing 101 people have sued the airline for 130.5 million baht ($4.27 million), saying the company was to blame, the family's lawyer said today.

"It's just become clear that the accident was not caused by pilot error, but caused by Thai Airways International's maintenance error," family lawyer Rujira Bunnag told AFP. "I can technically prove it in court."

The Airbus A310-200 crashed in a swamp on its third landing attempt during a storm in the southern province of Surat Thani in December 1998, en route from Bangkok. About 101 passengers and crew were killed but 45 passengers survived.

Four members of pilot Pinit Vetchsilp's family, and seven former and present Thai Airways executives, have sued the airline.

Pinit's wife, mother and two sons filed the lawsuit to restore the pilot's dignity, to make Thai Airways International fully aware of passenger safety, and to prevent future accidents, Mr Rujira said.

The Surat Thani airport's instrument landing system had been turned off for six months due to work on a runway, but airport officials have said other navigation aids were sufficient and it was up to the pilot to decide if it was safe enough to land.

Some survivors criticised the pilot for not returning to Bangkok after making two unsuccessful landing attempts.

The airline's flight manual said multiple landing attempts should only be made if weather conditions improved.

Air traffic control staff at Surat Thani airport have said the pilot was kept fully informed of weather conditions throughout the flight.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html

Pilot family sues airline for $4m

From correspondents in Bangkok

May 31, 2005

THE family of a Thai Airways pilot whose jet crashed in Thailand in 1998 killing 101 people have sued the airline for 130.5 million baht ($4.27 million), saying the company was to blame, the family's lawyer said today.

"It's just become clear that the accident was not caused by pilot error, but caused by Thai Airways International's maintenance error," family lawyer Rujira Bunnag told AFP. "I can technically prove it in court."

The Airbus A310-200 crashed in a swamp on its third landing attempt during a storm in the southern province of Surat Thani in December 1998, en route from Bangkok. About 101 passengers and crew were killed but 45 passengers survived.

Four members of pilot Pinit Vetchsilp's family, and seven former and present Thai Airways executives, have sued the airline.

Pinit's wife, mother and two sons filed the lawsuit to restore the pilot's dignity, to make Thai Airways International fully aware of passenger safety, and to prevent future accidents, Mr Rujira said.

The Surat Thani airport's instrument landing system had been turned off for six months due to work on a runway, but airport officials have said other navigation aids were sufficient and it was up to the pilot to decide if it was safe enough to land.

Some survivors criticised the pilot for not returning to Bangkok after making two unsuccessful landing attempts.

The airline's flight manual said multiple landing attempts should only be made if weather conditions improved.

Air traffic control staff at Surat Thani airport have said the pilot was kept fully informed of weather conditions throughout the flight.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html

I thought we all knew that the cause of that crash was the pilot not wanting to lose face by calling off the landing.