Basic Overseas Online Account

So I am looking at what my options are in regards to opening an online overseas account.

I don't need something with all the whistles and bells for now, just something offering basic services.

My only requirements are that it is cheap and easy to open, is easy to use in online transactions and has no problems in transactions with my Thai (Bangkok bank) account.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I hadn't thought about the currency, maybe sterling because online transactions are going to be in sterling.

Of course I'd love it to be free :) , any charges should be reasonable though and most of all I don't want to be hit with charges for online transactions.

HSBC can help you

No they can't unless you want to park 60k Quids with them in order to get free banking.

I've just been looking myself for banks to change to from HSBC because from 1 April they're going to introduce a 15 Quid a month charge just to have an account with them.

So if you only want a single currency account look at The Co-operative Bank or Royal Bank of Scotland which are fee free if you keep the minimum amount in the account (5k Quids if I remember right). They also provide ATM/Debit and Credit Cards and have Internet Banking.

Of course to make online transfers from ANY bank you will have to pay charges.

Edit:

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/servlet/...nts?WT.svl=copy

http://www.rbsinternational.com/

Edited by PattayaParent

I'd like to know about offshore internet accounts when you have a permanent address in Thailand. I tried with HSBC using addresses in saudi and in Thailand and they weren't satisfied with the verification...

I was an HSBC Premier customer in saudi but the ragheads like so many others are nervous about taking responsibility and they would not verify my address...so much fer the 'personal banking relationship'...buncha bullshit...

now I have an unsatisfactory arrangement with an HSBC affiliated bank and hafeta do my banking on the telephone... :)

I'd like to know about offshore internet accounts when you have a permanent address in Thailand. I tried with HSBC using addresses in saudi and in Thailand and they weren't satisfied with the verification...

/quote]

Just pick any bank in Channel Islands or Isle of Man, including HSBC.

Was you problem with PO Box addresses by any chance? Especially in Saudi "Where the streets have no names"

/quote]

Just pick any bank in Channel Islands or Isle of Man, including HSBC.

Was you problem with PO Box addresses by any chance? Especially in Saudi "Where the streets have no names"

yeah...it was with HSBC offshore in Jersey...basically the saudi HSBC affiliate's mishandling, I was a Premier customer and was preparing to leave and wanted to move the dough from the saudi account to an offshore account...there is no mail delivery there and I was in a construction camp out in the desert...they didn't like that, so I said how about an address in Thailand? they didn't like that either...I carry a USA passport so they were probably expecting me to have a US address...

as a Premier customer I was expecting better service...loadsa smiles, coffee and handshakes but the rest was bullshit...I advised HSBC in Jersey of the problem and they 'didn't understand'...finally I just gave up...

I was an HSBC Premier customer in saudi but the ragheads like so many others are nervous about taking responsibility and they would not verify my address...so much fer the 'personal banking relationship'...buncha bullshit...

now I have an unsatisfactory arrangement with an HSBC affiliated bank and hafeta do my banking on the telephone... :)

Agreed had the a similar run around with HSBC in Jersey and in the end went with Citi IPB in Singapore and basically told HSBC to shove their account up their ar*e.

In and out of Citi bank in Singapore within in the hour...offshore account set up, on-line account set up 1 hour later, and have never had a problem with them....very good customer service.

US$ 25,000 will get you free banking and can hold multiple currencies

Agreed had the a similar run around with HSBC in Jersey and in the end went with Citi IPB in Singapore and basically told HSBC to shove their account up their ar*e.

In and out of Citi bank in Singapore within in the hour...offshore account set up, on-line account set up 1 hour later, and have never had a problem with them....very good customer service.

did you put a thai address (or P.O. box) on your account application? If so, what docs did they require for the address verification?

also, does one have to be resident in Singapore to open the account?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

did you put a thai address (or P.O. box) on your account application? If so, what docs did they require for the address verification?

also, does one have to be resident in Singapore to open the account?

House address in Thailand, no PO Box, the verification was where the problem came, my bills for my credit card and telephone, have the address in thai, but name in English, got a reference for my SCB bank manager with a declaration in English his business, card attached...

HSBC email from Jersey....."Some of your documents are written in a "funny language".....computer says no

For Singapore banks - local Singapore banks will require residence, as I found out walking up and down Orchard Road.....International Banks ie Citi IPB, Standard Chartered and one would assume HSBC...dont require residence. Certainly for Citi IPB you can open an account on-line and just post the documents to them + certifed copy of your PP.

Cant say enough good things about Citi IPB...Very professional, customer service excellent

House address in Thailand, no PO Box, the verification was where the problem came, my bills for my credit card and telephone, have the address in thai, but name in English, got a reference for my SCB bank manager with a declaration in English his business, card attached...

HSBC email from Jersey....."Some of your documents are written in a "funny language".....computer says no

For Singapore banks - local Singapore banks will require residence, as I found out walking up and down Orchard Road.....International Banks ie Citi IPB, Standard Chartered and one would assume HSBC...dont require residence. Certainly for Citi IPB you can open an account on-line and just post the documents to them + certifed copy of your PP.

Cant say enough good things about Citi IPB...Very professional, customer service excellent

Understandable that the Jersey branch could not verify your address then if it was written in a language that they don't read.

I sent them address verification in English and had no problems.