I Don't Get It

bubblegum

Yesterday there were two big automobiel crashes in Rawaii, both of them in a similar kind. And, from what I heard both involved Toyota's.

On Viset about 400 m from the Rawai pier someone lost control of their car, scidded across the road and bang right into the new flower shop. At the time the shop was filled with mothers and children. On Rawai beach road something simular happend about 1 or 2 hours later.

Mind you I have not seen any of it but friends of mine have and I have no reason to doubt their stories. So I was wondering why is there nothing in the press about this?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably because there are thousands of accidents every day, mostly due to the fact that people have no idea how to drive. And statistically, many of them are toyotas....

I once wondered why nobody reported the death of a local while talking to someone in a telephone box. After I asked around a bit, a friend told me to go and look at the other 70 or so phone boxes (on the sidewalk) along my soi. She was right - almost all of them had been hit by cars!

Edited by stolidfeline

toyoto maybe be the the issue ,not just another crash

thailand may not be exempt from the toyoto glodal recalls issues re brakes jamming ,unexplained acceleration .

a lack of forensic accident investigation may be hidding the problem in thailand

early last november a mate died in issan , the witness's stated that the pickup accelerated and lost control for no obvious reason or any other factor ,like road conditions

any one know if the thai authorities are investigating if the o/seas toyoto problems are potentially contributing to thailands road carnage

Toyotas account for between 40-45% of all vehicles here, so it's not that statistically a stretch to have two toyotas in an accident. If there were two seperate yugo accidents, that would be something else.

Edited by steelepulse

Toyotas account for between 40-45% of all vehicles here, so it's not that statistically a stretch to have two toyotas in an accident. If there were two seperate yugo accidents, that would be something else.

Add on top of that the "Fortuner mindset" (I'm in this beast of a vehicle, GET OUT OF MY WAY!), and it's a wonder the stats are high regarding Toyotas and accidents.

I only know about the first one you're talking about.

The car tried to avoid another road user, and in doing that lost control and banged into the flower shop.

But: the shop was closed, there was nobody home as well except a kid, who was unhurt.

At least, that is what I heard.

If true: hardly worth mentioning in the media

Could it be that the second accident was the same one as the first accident, but things got mixed up a bit in the local reporting?

Add on top of that the "Fortuner mindset" (I'm in this beast of a vehicle, GET OUT OF MY WAY!), and it's a wonder the stats are high regarding Toyotas and accidents.

toyota accounts for 40-45% of new vehicle sales here, but since their lifetime is (much) longer than average, more than 50% of all vehicles on thai roads are Toyotas. So statisticly, EVERY accident with 2 cars or trucks, one or more Toyotas should be involved.

Toyota and Honda made in LOS use the same electric (drive by wire) thai made accelerator, and none of them are needed to recall as in other countries

Have just sold Toyota Vivo 4x4 4 door now own a fortuna and I can assure you it's small in comparison Ie two feet, yes Im old and still do feet shorter. So should'nt that be vigo mindset???

If the accidents involved serious injury & damage to property they surely would have been reported to the police.

I totally agree about the Fortuner mindset as it seems they are vying with the mini bus drivers for the most rude, arrogant & dangerous driving awards. Apologies to any considerate Fortuner users but the evidence is out there for all to see.

not big news, just bad driving and they happened to be in Toyotas.

We saw two (but both related) 'lost control' motorcycle accidents yesterday - if we'd been in a Toyota 4wd could have cleaned up two adults and a child. First one dad with child standing in front of him, too fast and cut corner forcing us (on scooter) into the gravel, he ended up in the shrubs of the house on other side of soi. Less than a minute later - another one. Turns out was wife trying to keep up, same corner, too fast, another off-road experience. European tourists on rental bikes.

Only makes the news if I'd run them all down.

A poster mentioned the 'Fortuner mindset', i think there is something similar re being invulnerable riding scooters in a foreign country.

If the accidents involved serious injury & damage to property they surely would have been reported to the police.

I totally agree about the Fortuner mindset as it seems they are vying with the mini bus drivers for the most rude, arrogant & dangerous driving awards. Apologies to any considerate Fortuner users but the evidence is out there for all to see.

Well you live and learn. I got a fortuna. Because I was told only young looking, very handsom, educated peep's had them. Oh well back to the mini. At least I can be a pig on the road, but no one will see me.

Too many accidents every day to report all of them. Just yesterday I saw 2 with motorbikes underneath a pickup and the other under a van near the Caltex garage in Kathu. Today when I went from Kata to Chalong there was a bus lying on its' side on the Chalong side of the hill with an ambulance alongside...not likely to make the papers either.

Evidence where to see?? I see plenty of body damaged Vigo's and other marque pick ups, but in truth can't recall ever seeing a Fortuner outside a body shop (not that I'm in the habit of regularly touring such premises, only in casual passing). Also the accidents that I read about (at least the ones reported in the English language press), and unfortunately because of single or multiple fatalities, usually involve pick ups.

Every day an average of 50 people die on Thai roads [source: Dept of Land Transport]. These include a lot of motorcyclists and their pillion passengers but a considerable number of car drivers, car passengers and pedestrians as well. It's not really news here unless there are accompanying gory pictures.

Should be a "shot on sight" law for Fortuner drivers. They are all homicidal maniacs after all. Just call it self defense in a general sense.

Evidence where to see?? I see plenty of body damaged Vigo's and other marque pick ups, but in truth can't recall ever seeing a Fortuner outside a body shop (not that I'm in the habit of regularly touring such premises, only in casual passing). Also the accidents that I read about (at least the ones reported in the English language press), and unfortunately because of single or multiple fatalities, usually involve pick ups.

It was in reference to the way they drive & just a generalization as with the mini buses e.g. not all mini buses tailgate, queue jump, speed, make dangerous overtaking maneuvres.

It was in reference to the way they drive & just a generalization as with the mini buses e.g. not all mini buses tailgate, queue jump, speed, make dangerous overtaking maneuvres.

OK, so no evidence as such, only some kind of prejudice. Yes, I'm a Fortuner owner, and yes it's large, but I need to put 2 large dogs in the back, occasionally tow my boat, and sometimes even manage to get off road. Nothing touches a Fortuner for it's combination of capabilities and comfort, with reasonable fuel economy (in the diesel version).

I am with you .This fortunermindset.But sometimes two meet each other.when i am on my bike they overtake and come on my site.And all need this stainless steel ram,by the way in europe forbidden.

iii

OK, so no evidence as such, only some kind of prejudice. Yes, I'm a Fortuner owner, and yes it's large, but I need to put 2 large dogs in the back, occasionally tow my boat, and sometimes even manage to get off road. Nothing touches a Fortuner for it's combination of capabilities and comfort, with reasonable fuel economy (in the diesel version).

It is not prejudice, just observations as I drive around. From my post " Apologies to any considerate Fortuner users". One reason I do not own a Fortuner is because I need a pick up for my company.

It is not prejudice, just observations as I drive around. From my post " Apologies to any considerate Fortuner users". One reason I do not own a Fortuner is because I need a pick up for my company.

I agree. Just today I saw a black Fortuner driver use 200 metres of the centre striped part of Chao Fah West as his own private lane, overtaking everything just up past Wat Chalong where the road is narrow before it gets to the ToT building.

I hoped really hard that he would meet another one coming in the opposite direction, but no such luck. :)

Classic Fortuner driver story.

Once had a guy pull into a restaurant in Chalong in his Black Fortuner and he parks perpendicular to everyone else, blocking in some people who were working at the offices next door. He gets out and he's this little farang guy (Napoleon Syndrome with the big car), meanwhile his Thai wife with kids in another car parks normally in the lot parallel with all the other cars.

I say to him, "excuse me, but you cannot park like that, look at what you are doing to those people".

He gets all huffy, tells the wife to get back in her car, and then he gets in his Fortuner and tears out of the lot, screeching tires and all. Complete as*hole.....

terribel, terribel black fortuners. to be seen acting badly everywhere. Never seen any other similar vehicle been driven similarly? for every 25-30 fortuner sold in this country another brand suv is sold too..................

screeching tyres on fulltime 4x4 is not possibel, except when braking extremely hard.

and I am presently not a fortuner driver or owner. my used to be silver though :)

I am convinced that Fortuner Drivers have to sign a special agreement when purchasing their vehicles to say that they will not let the team down and will drive as badly as possible on these roads. :D

:) Hey it's no coincidence, here on Koh Samui, Fortuners are tailgating you all the time and then scream past in an overtaking action, never mind that there is no space to slot into ahead of you and then when they cannot squeeze you out, down window and up all fingers. Morons gravitate to the Fortuner !

Add another one: Black Fortuner 'xx 9410' - overtaking on the left down Vised Road towards the junction with Soi Thanutep, tailgating slow moto-cy's in the inside lane, forcing his way into the outside lane at Soi Thanutep, brake lights continually flashing as he gets to Hayek Chalong and off down to Rawai.

Probably a Nai Harn expat. There are some real :) down there.

gallery_35489_975_15565.gif

Add another one: Black Fortuner 'xx 9410' - overtaking on the left down Vised Road towards the junction with Soi Thanutep, tailgating slow moto-cy's in the inside lane, forcing his way into the outside lane at Soi Thanutep, brake lights continually flashing as he gets to Hayek Chalong and off down to Rawai.

Probably a Nai Harn expat. There are some real :D down there.

gallery_35489_975_15565.gif

only 3 black fortuners so far?? you need to post 50 fortuner incidents to be equal to one Ford Everest, compensating for the sales numbers.

Ford Everest, blue, maniac driving Chao fa west in left lane(to turn left) but had no intention to turn left, hit my Ninjas left side mirror while i was standing still. Short fat farang asking what the f-ck I am up to. took a picture with my phone in case he would do a hit and run further down the road, but dont want to post his reg plate

ok only 47 more fortuner incidents to go :)