Drivers!

Jockstar

Hopefully someone can help me here. I want to check my system for drivers. I want to make sure i have the most up to date drivers installed. I got my new PC in March. The guy who put it together installed the drivers which came with the main board etc. I know that there is a program somewhere on the net that will scan my PC and tell me if any updates should be installed. Specs

Athlon 64/3000

K8N Neo 2

Asus Geforce FX 5900

1 Gb Ram

160 Gb HD.

Running Xp. Basically i want to know what updates i need without actually installing something i'm not 100% sure of. So does anyone know of this program that will scan my PC and inform me what updates i need? Cheers in advance.

From Internet Explorer 6 you can go to the "Tools" menu and choose "Windows Update". Alternatively you can go directly to the URL

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

This website allows Microsoft themselves to scan your PC and determine if any updates are needed. It will tell you of any critical security updates, software updates and driver updates available, and give you an explanation of each. Once you have approved / chosen your updates, you can download and install them in one go.

Also- in your control panels you can choose Automatic Updates, which will notify you every time a critical update is released by Microsoft.

Hope this helps. :o

Yes. But what happens if its not a jing jing copy?

I have no problem with these updates, and would consider them all to be "jing jing" as coming direct from Microsoft and "Digitally Signed" by them.

If you're referring to your copy of Win XP not being "jing jing", you should have had this worry when you first took your new computer online last March. Everything you do can be traced at any time- not just from visiting their website.

But- Jing jing or not- you will get the updates.

I don't rely on MS's method to check for driver updates since it's mainly for updating the OS. For updating drivers, you go to the manufacturer/oem website and check.

For your graphics card: www.nvidia.com

For your mainboard: www.asus.com

That's about it.

I don't rely on MS's method to check for driver updates since it's mainly for updating the OS.  For updating drivers, you go to the manufacturer/oem website and check.

I've found the driver update to work ok... provided that the 3rd party company is a quality one who has submitted their drivers to Microsoft for digital signing and inclusion in the windows driver database.

Of course- can't hurt to check the OEM website anyway.......

Edited by bino