cost for baby formula milk and nappies

jay171275

With my son we used mummy poko nappies. on average its 650 ish baht for the large pack

and the formula my wife gave him was around 350 a box .

so about 3 packs of nappies amonth and 4 box's of milk when he was upto about 14 months

after that we cut his formula right down so that cost has gone

but we still buy nappies only the small packs 395 or close to that,1 pack a fortnight

Before when I had two toddlers back in the UK

I always remember the day when we went shopping and at the check out I found I had an extra 25pound

No more nappies yahoooo

colino

as posted on the other thread you started

nappies- pack of 64 about 700/800 baht, probably go thru 1 and half to 2 packs per month

formula prices vary, we buy Enfalac A+ at 550 baht per box, more expensive than some others, little one goes thru box a week roughly

it blew my mind just how many different varieties of formula out there, next time have a look down yr local large supermarket

baby is 6 months old now :)

Find a local Macro as you anby in bulk cheaper & keep an eye out for specials inTesco & Big C on nappies. My son uses Baby Love pull up pants, only one a day for night time but before I found Mamy Poko nappies better for when he was in them all day.

Find a local Macro as you anby in bulk cheaper & keep an eye out for specials inTesco & Big C on nappies. My son uses Baby Love pull up pants, only one a day for night time but before I found Mamy Poko nappies better for when he was in them all day.

saw the large pack of 64 nappies mammy pokkos (7-12 kg) for under 700 baht in Carrefour the other day, is makro any cheaper when youve seen them on special?

I've never seen any real sales on Mamy Poko nappies. 650 baht for a large pack is the cheapest I have seen then in the last 4 years.

Kodomo were recommended to us by our hospital and we used them for our first daughter. They regularly sold them 2 for 1 when we would buy in bulk. Ths brand is now off the shelves. Over 2 years we saved a lot of money.

I use Dumex formula for our 2nd daughter cos all the others constipate her. It costs 700 baht or something for a box of 1.2kg.

I've never seen any real sales on Mamy Poko nappies. 650 baht for a large pack is the cheapest I have seen then in the last 4 years.

Kodomo were recommended to us by our hospital and we used them for our first daughter. They regularly sold them 2 for 1 when we would buy in bulk. Ths brand is now off the shelves. Over 2 years we saved a lot of money.

I use Dumex formula for our 2nd daughter cos all the others constipate her. It costs 700 baht or something for a box of 1.2kg.

ok thx,

we havent gone to any other brand apart from mamy poko as it was recommended to us. Is there a cheaper brand that is similiar in quality? i dont want a cheap brand that wont hold so to speak :)

Ive seen cheaper formula as well, Nestle is one, but im reluctant to change as our little one seems to like Enfalac A+. Price was 440? for small box 600 baht something for can

You can save significant money by getting them out of nappies early.. And the need for formula may be limited too, that's what mum is for. And you can start with (somewhat) solid food pretty early too.

It's a fairly recent Western practice to keep kids in diapers and on bottles for years! I only realized when talking to other Thai mothers who told me their kids were out of diapers. So you're starting super thin rice porridge by month 4-5, and the kid's potty trained around month 18. :) Note that you can't force that however as at the very least the related muscles need to develop, and that typically doesn't happen before his/her first birthday.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

0.00 / month since you normally don't need formula or nappies, breastmilk is free and healthier and nappies can be avoided or some cloth diapers can be used when needed.

Apology if this is not the answer you need, I acknowledge that you posted a serious quesion and there were already good, specific and helpful answers.

I just want to make sure that some readers of this thread are made aware that neither formula nor diapers are necessary because in todays world I have met some people who decided they could not have children because they could not afford formula and nappies, they were not even aware these things are not needed and I found this scary.

0.00 / month since you normally don't need formula or nappies, breastmilk is free and healthier and nappies can be avoided or some cloth diapers can be used when needed.

Apology if this is not the answer you need, I acknowledge that you posted a serious quesion and there were already good, specific and helpful answers.

I just want to make sure that some readers of this thread are made aware that neither formula nor diapers are necessary because in todays world I have met some people who decided they could not have children because they could not afford formula and nappies, they were not even aware these things are not needed and I found this scary.

Have you actually tried cloth diapers? We did. Didn't last a day. :) Cloth diapers are prehistoric, humanity has moved on.

ok thx,

we havent gone to any other brand apart from mamy poko as it was recommended to us. Is there a cheaper brand that is similiar in quality? i dont want a cheap brand that wont hold so to speak :)

Ive seen cheaper formula as well, Nestle is one, but im reluctant to change as our little one seems to like Enfalac A+. Price was 440? for small box 600 baht something for can

We use Mamy Poko now cos Kodomo doesn't exist anymore. Kodomo was very comparable to MP for sure and most of the time half price. Many a time I walked out of Tops with a trolley full of nappies. If anyone has seen them in Bangkok I woud be very keen to use them again.

And not all mothers are able to breastfeed & not all babies take to it either or are sustained enough from it, I would rather my son have formula than starve :)

Cloth nappies are a good idea in principle but you have to wonder why in the generation that nappies came on the market, so many mothers embraced to the extent they dominate the market today ? :D

House rules dictate I do the shopping for Nappies and have noticed a couple of things over the last 10-11 months.

1) A trend by Nappy companies to push the much more expensive pull up types.

2) Drypers are the cheapest none pull up, followed by Huggies. There are a couple of other no-name type brands on sale at the tescos but the Mrs seems happy with the Huggies and Mama Poko.

Being a tight arse, I tried all brands of nappies to save money, even Boots home brand and I found that most, apart from Mamy Poko, Kodomo and Pampers made my daughter uncomfortable for varying reasons.

and being an even tighter ass that you, i like the kind you get free for a photo shoot :) 180 pairs of pull ups.

post-22903-1269416892_thumb.jpg

Have you tried Baby Love? Much cheaper and on sale often. I've tried compared to MamyPoko and think the quality is about the same.

As for cloth nappies... I've used them for years as well. The cloth diapers you are thinking of are essentially what you find here in Thailand. Very outdated and not easy to use, leak, etc. In other countries (UK, USA, Europe, etc) cloth nappies have evolved with all kinds of new styles. Some work just as well as disposables. A little more costly but still cheaper than disposables. I brought all of mine here and sold most when done with them.

Have you tried Baby Love? Much cheaper and on sale often. I've tried compared to MamyPoko and think the quality is about the same.

I agree, I can't stand people who say Mamy Poko and 'the best' etc. Baby Love are fine usually 455baht for a large pack of either 84 small, 72 large or 64 xlarge. Carrefour often have offers, last month it was 399baht per pack.

The free Nestle samples from the hospital were a digustingly underhand way to hook my son on that brand, but the really cheap milk (S26 brand etc)is quite hard for kids to digest. I've used the Enfa range, EnfaLac is 744baht for three 650g bags.

• 1 year later...

Gents,

So not being too lazy but what do you think you spend in TOTAL per month on

nappies

baby formula.

And can you also say the age of your child ...

(My youngest is 18 months)

My EX is claiming 1500thb per week on Enfapro A+ 2 (The Pink one)

and we use the MAmyPoko pull ups Nappies.

I'll be babysitting for 2 weeks whilst she's away next month so will check results and list them here ...

Many thanks,

Kind Regards

Snowy

Gents,

So not being too lazy but what do you think you spend in TOTAL per month on

nappies

baby formula.

And can you also say the age of your child ...

(My youngest is 18 months)

My EX is claiming 1500thb per week on Enfapro A+ 2 (The Pink one)

and we use the MAmyPoko pull ups Nappies.

I'll be babysitting for 2 weeks whilst she's away next month so will check results and list them here ...

Many thanks,

Kind Regards

Snowy

My twins are now 15 months old. I think 1500 for one is probably stretching the truth a bit, unless of course she does all her shopping at premium end stores and always buys the smallest sizes available.

The formula shouldn't set you back more than 500 baht, and while MamyPoko pullups are certainly the most expensive option available, they won't add up to 1000 baht in a week unless you are changing your bundle of joy 15 times a day.

What kind of solid food are you feeding your 18 month old? That can have a dramatic effect on costs of formula. During the day our babies always get solid food first before the bottle. They really enjoy their morning mash of pumpkin, carrots and fish, and its simple to make. They are also big sticky rice fans. To my great horror the wife keeps trying to feed them liver. To my secret delight they always spit it back out at her.

We usually buy S26 Gold which is actually more expensive than Enfapro, but we buy it in the 1800 gram carton to cut costs, and use the standard Drypers that we can usually find on buy 2 get 1 free sales as opposed to the more expensive Pullups. We probably spend about 700 per week on average. 1500 isn't so terrible that I would say she is clearly trying to take advantage, but my honest guess is you'll find during your baby sitting duties that the real number even using expensive pullups is much closer to 1000.

Let us know how your budget comes out, and remember that the package size does affect your costs.

Our son, now 2.25 yrs stopped formula a long time ago-he was breast fed for the most part. He does drink those enfa milk things (green packs) at night when he wakes up. Through the day its water, juice, normal milk, yogurt etc.

Solid food has been a part of his diet for a year now at least. We grind it up a bit (meat, steamed veggies, garlic, onions etc) before mixing it with rice. The boy also likes eggs and rice.

Recently he has experienced the joys of peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches-in moderation. Pasta is a favorite and will eat (mine) it even when he is at his most fussiest.

Anyways, we didn't spend much a week on formula milk when he was younger - certainly less than 500 baht.

• 4 weeks later...

we spend approx. 3000 baht a month on mamy poko pull ups size M for our 15 month old.

and 2500 on milk

wipes also cost quite a lot 130 baht per pack.

our daughter doesn't drink that much compared to others.

wow 3000 on nappies we use 2 packs per month 1400 for nappies and 1800 for milk.

We use Drypers a pack of 84 is 399 baht at Tesco and we use about 1 - 1/2 per month for a cost of 600 baht (?).

For formula we use Enfalac A+ at a cost of 440 baht per can. The can contains 400 (oz?) not sure. We go thru about 2 - 3 cans per month.

A total cost for diapers and food is about 1600 baht per month.

James

It's worth checking out your local Thai pharmacy. I live near Patttaya and have the luxury of Tesco, Makro, Big C etc but my local pharmacy (Neun Plub Wan) is always cheaper than the big stores. Mamo Poko nappies (not pull ups) at 500 baht (compared to 650+ at supermarket) and Nan 2 formula at 600 baht for the large tin versus up to 750 baht in supermarkets. Also have a loyalty scheme with discount vouchers for every 600 baht spent. No good against milk but can be used against nappies, baby wipes etc. Look for a blue sign as that seems to be the ones that stock baby / toddler products.