Red Underpants

peter991

I am curious? Is this a gay thing, a Thai thing, or is my Thai friend just one of a kind.

I have heard a lot about Thai superstitions - like not getting your hair cut on Wednesday, watch out for ghosts etc ... but this visit I was asked NOT to wear red coloured underwear.

Is this part of the Red Shirts campaign, I asked ... Are they going to strip down to red undies ???

No - I was told. This is serious. It is bad luck to wear red undies ...

Comments please.

Peter

I would hav thought that red was an appropriate colour for Sundays? Maybe that's one reason for all the bad luck I've been having week after week?

PS: No, I have become secure enough in my own masculinity to wear a pink shirt on Tuesdays, but still not comfortable with the idea of pink jocks on Wan Angkarns. :)

I prefer the two tone colors: Yellow in the front, brown in the back.

On a more serious side, I have never heard about the red underwear thing. I do know that people here make up a lot of crap. We were once instructed to wear something special (can't remember exactly why--but something to do either with the king being sick or his sister's death). Then they changed it to something different, when I asked why, they gave me a reason. Nobody else on the face of the earth knew the reason, including gov't officials. They made it up. Just plain made it up and said it was supposed to be this way.

Caught people at this on more than one occasion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...