Warning! Kota Baru - Excursion To ######!

To anyone thinking of getting a visa application processed in Kota Baru, Malaysia... think twice!

You have to go via a gadforsaken border-town called sungai kolok and if you want a comparison then think 'Barter Town' From Mad Max 3 with loads of nasty whores and kareoke bars. Plus the odd bomb or two that claims the lives of any malaysians fancying some 'action' . :o

Once you've got through there relatively unscathed you will reach Kota Baru!

The Consulate staff there are awful, the service is a joke with no chance of getting non-immigrant visas without masses of paperwork! Accommodation is naasssty and pricey! No alcohol and those wanting to get their groove on with the local ladies - forget it there are no entertainment venues. You've got to spend at least one night while you wait for whatever visa you can obtain, which is normally a standard tourist visa (2 month double entry) :D

Oh and in the whole city theres only one place that can change currency into ringit!

Tis a place you will gladly brush the dust from your boots and vow never to return!

Good Riddance and to Sungai Koluk too!! :D

PS got told it was a good place to get a visa done, no questions asked! If I see the guy again I'll gladly teach him the error of his ways. :D

Edited by JimsKnight

Ken was it yourself who said you can get a work permit now on the strength of an "O" visa? .......and if it was do you happen to have a link showing this? (had a "debate" with a teacher last night thats all.......i was in the "yes" camp)

Cheers.....................apols for going off topic.

Edit...........one last thing, this teacher is currently on 30 day border runs (no work permit) reckons he can go down to Penang and get a multi O with no supporting paperwork.............my feeling was its a non starter.........comments?

Edited by thaiflyer1

I don't have any official links (PM Sumitr man he's superb for those kind of things) per se, other than to here :o

I think he'd struggle to get a Non-imm O with ZERO paperwork, they're easy there, but not an utter pushover IMO!

Believe this from the official immigration web site should satisfy most (highlight):

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

Non-immigrant visas can be obtained by foreigners wishing to enter Thailand for various purposes at Royal Thai embassies or consulates abroad. The purpose of visit must be stated in the application form. The visa will be marked with an English abbreviation as specified by the government accordingly. This is done to make the purpose of visit known to the immigration officers from the very time of arriving and to record statistics of foreigners entering Thailand.

The Non-immigrant visa is of special importance, being the only visa for foreigners temporarily staying in the kingdom that entitles them to apply for work permits. Approval or rejection of application for work permits is done according to the 1978 foreign labour act, section 11, which states that

"foreigners applying for a work permit according to section 7 must be residents of the kingdom or have received permission to temporarily stay in the kingdom according to the immigration laws. They must not have received permission to stay in the kingdom merely as tourists or on transit..."

i.e. application for a work permit depends on the visa, which must not be a tourist or transit visa.

A foreigner wishing to apply for anon-immigrant visa must contact a Thai embassy or consulate abroad, fill in the application form and state the purpose of his visit as mentioned above. As this type of visa is of special importance being the only kind of visa that enables its holder to apply for a work permit and long term extension of stay in the kingdom as necessary, presently Thailand uses stickers in the passport for this type of visa, although some consulates, mostly honorary consulates, still use a stamp affixed to the passport. There is no difference in the validity of the visa whether it is a sticker or a stamp. The visa type and class is clearly stated on the sticker or stamp, e.g. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA class B for business, class ED for education and O for other purposes, according to the list given above. The date of validity stated on the visa is often misunderstood as permission of stay in the kingdom. In fact the date of validity indicates the period within the visa must be utilised entering Thailand. If used within the validity period, the visa entitles its holder of an initial stay of 90 days in the kingdom from the date of arrival, even if he arrives on the last date of validity of the visa.

In addition, if the English words EXTENSION OF STAY NOT PERMITTED/NO EXTENSION OF STAY are written on the visa stamp or sticker, the holder may after the initial admission period has elapsed, apply for an extension according to his individual reasons and necessity. If the officer in charge agrees with the stated reasons and necessity and the applicant fulfils the specifications set by the Immigration Bureau, the stay may be extended accordingly.

It sounds as though they have a new consul.

KB used to be one of the places used by the visa run companies,

and they could get same day service.

Thanks for letting us know that things have changed.

Ken  was  it  yourself  who  said  you  can  get  a  work  permit   now  on  the  strength  of  an  "O"  visa?......

You sure can. My cousin has one. Got the Non-O, then got the WP. I have seen it with my own eyes.

I have one in front of me right now :o:D

Ken  was  it  yourself  who  said  you  can  get  a  work  permit  now  on  the  strength  of  an  "O"  visa?......

You sure can. My cousin has one. Got the Non-O, then got the WP. I have seen it with my own eyes.

I have one in front of me right now :o:D

It sounds like the best place for a non imm visa is Penang, I heard this from several sources. It also has a better nightlife than crappy KB. However to all who are outside thailand its easier to get your non imm visas in your own country.

• 3 years later...
...got told it was a good place to get a visa done, no questions asked! If I see the guy again I'll gladly teach him the error of his ways. :o

My question is, if they still issue double entry T-visas. Penang does one entry only, therefore it might be worth the trip.

Thank you for your kind answer in advance.

To anyone thinking of getting a visa application processed in Kota Baru, Malaysia... think twice!

Why did you try Kota Baru in the first place? With an international airport right in Penang it would seem the only choice.

Some of you really have a sense of adventure.

My question is, if they still issue double entry T-visas. Penang does one entry only, therefore it might be worth the trip.

Thank you for your kind answer in advance.

No double entries in Malaysia. Go to Vientiene.

Wouldn't it be great if they brought back the triple entry 6 month TV's?

This topic was discussed here before, and I have given all the information regard it, but it seems to me that people on this forum (specially those senior fellows) either they never read or simply just forget very fast.

It all depend on what kind of trip you are looking for?

--If it is just to obtain a tourist visa, then there is no doubt Kota Bharu is the best place -according to my experience-, I have applied for a double entry tourist visa in less than 5 minutes and got my passport back in the next working day in less than 2, and surly this was the fastest visa I have ever got from a Thai consulate.

The reason in part falls on some negative posting about the place, so that many people have avoid it and made the consulate looks like a ghost house, no one is applying, and only one staff is serving.

(Note: for other type of visas I have no experience there)

--If your trip for both visa and plesear, then it depend on what kind of pleasure you are looking for? I have menetioned in this forum before that Kota Bharu is the richest city in Malysia and they do not need nor encourage tourist to visit. The people there are very conservative and religious, which means no women, no alcohol, no red light disticts (bars, nigtht clubs or pubs), however they are not racist or rude to foreigners. Apart from that they have the most beatifull, clean and breathtaking under water beaches in several islands just few miles away on the ocean.

-- Accomodation wise: Kota Bharu is the cheapest in Malaysia, there are many fifty to sixty Ringet (B.500-600) range, very clean hotels with movie channels on tvs. Four and five stars hotels are 50% cheaper than any where else in Malaysia.

--Food and beverage: there are all kind of foods served in restaurants including Chinese, Indian and American, however there are only one restaurant for each Mcdonalds, KFC, Burger King and Pizza Hut, all of them located in the city center, arround the bus stations, fresh market, supermarkets, night market and most of the hotels. (No wonder, Kota Bharu is too small to accomodate more than one of each).

Security: Kota Bharu is the safest place on the region, crimes are almost zero, and what is the south of Thailand is facing has nothing to do with Kota Bharu.

Lastly I am planing to go there again by the end of this year, and I assure you that I will post my new experience upon my return (if this ever happened).

Until then good luck to everybodt wants to try first.

Bishop :o

Have been to Khota Bharu a number of times and yes the locals are nice friendly people; but the place is possibly one of the most boring/grim places I have ever has the misfortune to visit and I only recommend it for 'extreme' visa afficionados.

Stopped going there as soon as it was humanly possible

This topic was discussed here before, and I have given all the information regard it, but it seems to me that people on this forum (specially those senior fellows) either they never read or simply just forget very fast.

This topic was posted nearly 3 1/2 years ago, a virtual eternity when it comes to immigration offices/rules. :o