Jeez I Thought Brown Outs Were Annoying.

bankruatsteve

I tried to turn on the TV after my morning jog this morning and the dam_n thing just stayed with the amber “sleep” LED on. The Truevision box was on and seemed OK. But, the fans seemed to have a bit more zest than normal. Hmmm. So, got out the VOM and found the voltage ranging between 330v and 360v!!! <deleted>??

Apparently it’s been that way for hours. The wife says the refrigerator isn’t freezing (the light comes on) and the AV receiver won’t power up (same as the TV). So, unplug everything electronic and the fridge, etc. Now have to hope the built in protection worked and that the others could take it. dam_n. I hope so anyway.

The only surge suppressor I have didn’t clamp. In the states, they will usually clamp at 300v but that’s on 120v service. I wonder what they are here?

And it’s Sunday so probably nobody gives a shit that could otherwise fix it. BTW: this is about 70 km NE of Udon Thani.

Grrrr.

You may well be connected to 2 phases (380V) instead of one phase and neutral (220V).

Has the PEA been carrying out maintainance or additions on the LV distribution system?

You have a potentially hazardous situation if what you say is correct. A polarity check should be carried out on the incoming consumers mains.

You may well be connected to 2 phases (380V) instead of one phase and neutral (220V).

Has the PEA been carrying out maintainance or additions on the LV distribution system?

You have a potentially hazardous situation if what you say is correct. A polarity check should be carried out on the incoming consumers mains.

Interesting theory, but no - I have single phase overvoltage. How would you even get multiple phase to work on just 2 wires?

I've never experienced this before but guessing it might be someone playing with the dials at the local substation. Of course nobody knows a phone number to call. :)

Well crap. Everything seems to be working except the 4 month old Hitachi refrigerator. The lights come on but nothing from the compressor or the fans. Any refrigerator experts out there can advise if there is easy way to reset or check what might have blown?

Interesting theory, but no - I have single phase overvoltage. How would you even get multiple phase to work on just 2 wires?

I've never experienced this before but guessing it might be someone playing with the dials at the local substation. Of course nobody knows a phone number to call.

Can occur if phases are transposed on the distribution system, usually occurs between a phase and neutral.

That is why polarity testing ( and correct circuit connections) must be carried out when any electrical work is

connected to supply.