Best Oil For Frying Chips

Flow

Hi all,

I am looking for a substitute for peanut oil (235 Baht / 750ml bottle) - something quality, but less expensive to cook "quality" British chips. I am Thailand based. If possible name the oil and place to buy it from in Bangkok?

Last, how long can I use the oil for before it gets nasty?

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks

The best oil for deep fat frying is vegetable shortening. Crisco is the brand I prefer for home cooking. I've never looked for it in Bangkok, as I avoid deep fat frying because of the heat it generates. If you have something like a frydaddy, it won't generate as much heat in your kitchen. Deep fat frying oil only lasts 2-3 days before it has to be changed.

Yep. Got Crisco Peanut Oil from Villa Supermarket. Looking for a substitute or I could order in bulk from New Zealand I suppose??? Don't know what I am going to do....

Cheers

Edited by Flow

Palm oil is a pretty neutral tasting oil - it's also about the cheapest at the grocery store - 35 ish baht a liter or so. Soy bean oil is a bit more expensive 45 ish, say, but it is a healthier oil and also a very neutral tasting one - that being said, the unhealthy palm oil is better for frying.

They both work fine for me, and might be worth a try before you spend more for less available options.

Happy frying!

'Palm oil or refined coconut oil and ANY oil that doesn't burn or smoke when heated to 175-210°C (345–410 °F) will do,

A trick is to pre-fry them very short and re-fry , for longer lasting crispiness!

Lard and beef drippings is a question of "taste"... though!

• 2 months later...
I prefare to cook my chips in Lard, refined pork fat.

I have never been able to find Lard in any super markets, but i can get it at most open markets where they cook pork. Thai name Nam Man mua.

Geordie

I make my ow lard. Just go to your local meat market and purchase pork fat. Render this down over a low heat and you have lard with no additives preservatives etc. I keep mine in the fridge.

I have to concur with those who say lard - with a bit of beef dripping or rendered beef fat for flavour. Don't have it so often, so I it strain it well and freeze it, never had a problem with it. And how can you possibly fry an egg in oil? Or make Yorkshire puddings/. There's always a bit of extra lard goes into an ice cube tray for fried eggs and Yorkshires.

'Palm oil or refined coconut oil and ANY oil that doesn't burn or smoke when heated to 175-210°C (345–410 °F) will do,

A trick is to pre-fry them very short and re-fry , for longer lasting crispiness!

[/quote

agree there let them get cold and then refry

• 2 weeks later...

'Palm oil or refined coconut oil and ANY oil that doesn't burn or smoke when heated to 175-210°C (345410 °F) will do,

[/quote

agree there let them get cold and then refry

Looking for the best way to cook 'real' chips on a small commercial basis.

The 2 stage cooking process of parboiling, freezing and then frying as required works OK.

Would it be possible to parboil, part-fry and then freeze for using as required ?

Edited by cardholder

• 2 weeks later...
to my mind the best oil for chips just has to be Olive Oil,,,,but...just too expensive.

I have always heard that olive oil is useless for deep frying. blink.gif

As others mentioned you need an oil that can handle high heats. Olive oil doesn't! the better the quality of olive oil the more bitter it will turn when heated. A good extra virgin olive oil should never be heated up and should only be used for dressings. You could use a lesser quality olive oil to cook in but not to deepfry!

Personally, if you don't want to use groundnut oil because of price or the fear of allergies then a good corn oil is second best, I know Carnola is reasonable cheap and a corn oil will last longer than most others if looked after.

Hi Flow.

Sorry to go a little off topic, but these are excellent chips

http://www.waitrose....oked_Chips.aspx

(no doubt you've heard of the chef and probably the recipe).

Use sunflower oil, sesame oil, nut oil............whatever you like - mix it up even.

After you fry the chips, strain the oil through a sieve - that way it will last longer

Good luck!