Fit A Carryboy To Your Pickup

ThaiLife

A friend has just paid his annual road tax for his 4 Triton door pickup, which was around 8,000 Baht. My friend has been told if he had fitted a Carry Boy type rear cover to his pickup , it would then be classed as a car, and he would have only had to pay around 4,000 Baht in annual road tax.

This is the type of carry boy cover that was talked about ....

Carryboy1.jpg

Does any one know if this tax reduction apply's to a Two door pickup, ?

Thanks

Road tax?

Is that the dated sticker in the windscreen?

If so I have paid 4808 bht annually for that the last few years on my Triton, 4 door, no Carryboy.

I was told that the cost goes up if a Carryboy is fitted.

Reasoning being that a pickup is classed as an agricultural vehicle, suitable for us rural poor :) and as soon as you fit a Carryboy it ceases to be suitable for farm work.

Edited by apetley

Road tax?

Is that the dated sticker in the windscreen?

If so I have paid 4808 bht annually for that the last few years on my Triton, 4 door, no Carryboy.

I was told that the cost goes up if a Carryboy is fitted.

Reasoning being that a pickup is classed as an agricultural vehicle, suitable for us rural poor :) and as soon as you fit a Carryboy it ceases to be suitable for farm work.

I do not have a vehicle yet but have started to look into it..... and i was under the same believe based on my limited surfing. Trucks are cheaper from a tax perspective because they are for working or so it is believed. Cars are the well to do. Hope somebody can clear this up! :D

In actual fact there is an additional surcharge on road tax of 50 Baht for a Carry Boy as it is classed as a modification to the vehicle.

My tax on a two door DMAX was been 1050 Baht went down last year a few baht because it was over 6 years and this year had to be inspected (7 years old) which cost me an additional 100 baht

4 door pickups start at about 6800 Baht Tax.

My 4 door pick up road levy was 6800 bht. A 2 door is 2000 odd. I think after 3-4 years old it goes down on all motors. l fitted a lid and asked at the office if a reduction, they said no, but if l had a full height carryboy with seats l would pay (l think) 2000bht, not sure of the amount but it is a lot less. She also said, why you want pay less, you farang, lots money. UUUUUH :)

I wonder if a full caryboy ( with seats ) were fitted , how that would affect the vehicle insurance ?

CB1.jpg

Edited by ThaiLife

My 4 door pick up road levy was 6800 bht. A 2 door is 2000 odd. I think after 3-4 years old it goes down on all motors. l fitted a lid and asked at the office if a reduction, they said no, but if l had a full height carryboy with seats l would pay (l think) 2000bht, not sure of the amount but it is a lot less. She also said, why you want pay less, you farang, lots money. UUUUUH :)

Are you sure that you pay less when adding a Carryboy?

When I first got my 4 door 2.5 Triton I asked about adding a Carryboy and both the dealer and Dept of Land Transport said that it would cost extra.

Adding a lid was no additional cost.

Just checked my last few receipts and tax has been 4808 bht each year since new.

Next renewal will be 4 years old and told there will be a reduction in tax.

When I first got my 4 door 2.5 Triton I asked about adding a Carryboy and both the dealer and Dept of Land Transport said that it would cost extra.

Just checked my last few receipts and tax has been 4808 bht each year since new.

My Friend has a 3.2 4x4 4 door Triton, may be the Tax is more on a 3.2 ?

My Friend has a 3.2 4x4 4 door Triton, may be the Tax is more on a 3.2 ?

Yeah I thought that as soon as I posted.

In actual fact there is an additional surcharge on road tax of 50 Baht for a Carry Boy as it is classed as a modification to the vehicle.

My tax on a two door DMAX was been 1050 Baht went down last year a few baht because it was over 6 years and this year had to be inspected (7 years old) which cost me an additional 100 baht

4 door pickups start at about 6800 Baht Tax.

A friend said if you fit a carryboy the road levy goes down so l asked the question at the tax office because l fitted a lid, where l was told if a full height carryboy and seats were fitted your book is altered and the levy goes down.

So fitting a CarryBoy ( with seats ) could reduce your road Tax , I wonder if any one here has actually done this , and how different is the reduced Tax ? :)

I wonder if a full caryboy ( with seats ) were fitted , how that would affect the vehicle insurance ?

CB1.jpg

2 doors pickups are insured and legal for 2 people. so far passangers are accepted on rear bench, but not on bed at expressway

4 doors pickups are insured and leagl for 5 people.

more seats, different insurance, with the above seats and inspected/changed seating in book and insurance, more than 5 people is legal

Edit Another issue is driving lisence. above vehicle must be registered with tabien leck to be allowed driven by farang. ordinary car plates starting with 2 letters, not big plates starting with 2 numbers

Edited by katabeachbum

Anyone have a tax price on a 2009 Triton 4 door 4x4 auto 3.2 taxed on highway 36 next to regent school ?

A good friend of mine has just been complaining he paid 7,750 Baht :)

Wow, sounds like it's gone up. Was 6800bht in August.

still 6.800

cheapest tax is for small cars, like yaris 6-800 baht. not sure if new ecocar class (less than 1200cc/120g/km CO2 will be cheaper

Anyone have a tax price on a 2009 Triton 4 door 4x4 auto 3.2 taxed on highway 36 next to regent school ?

still 6.800

cheapest tax is for small cars, like yaris 6-800 baht. not sure if new ecocar class (less than 1200cc/120g/km CO2 will be cheaper

I wonder if the extra 950 baht is to do with engine size ?

still 6.800

I wonder if the extra 950 baht is to do with engine size ?

probably, forgot to consider mitzus 3200cc