Offshore Safety Wear

jonnyscot

hi, recently moved to pattaya area and any help greatly appreciated, I am searching for offshore quality coveralls with the reflector strips preferably in the pattaya area, if they also stock safety glasses and safety footwear it would be an added bonus.

thanks

If you are looking the likes of Red Wings, Nomex & Dickies etc...you will not find them in Pattaya.

Red Wings availible in BKK, Nomex & Dickies cant say I have ever seen freely a availible anywhere in Thailand, people/companies normally bring them in from outside.

If you are looking for safety kit, go and head over to Ban Chang and get on Sukhumvit towards Maptuphut, quite a few safety equipment supply companies along the road. You might find what you are looking for ?

You can buy good quality safety equipment in Sriracha from Leeden (Thailand) Co. Ltd. They are dealers for Red Wing safety boots and coveralls. They will have everything that you need int he way of safety equipment and welding supplies. PM me if you need more details.

jonnyscot, your needs kind of intrigue me? do you want clothing to go offshore with? if so why does your employer not provide? if you just want offshore quality for another purpose, why - offshore "standards are for Nomex which is hot sweaty and fairly pointless................

As a long time offshore hand excuse my nosyness, but if you don't ask............. :)

jonnyscot, your needs kind of intrigue me? do you want clothing to go offshore with? if so why does your employer not provide? if you just want offshore quality for another purpose, why - offshore "standards are for Nomex which is hot sweaty and fairly pointless................

As a long time offshore hand excuse my nosyness, but if you don't ask............. :)

CGW....was thinking the exact same thing myself.....who knows....maybe being Ex-SAS, Navy Seal or "special ops" thing around Pattaya is out of fashion this year around the bars ..and the new Ex-SAS etc is being an offshore Oil and Gas worker...... :D

CGW....was thinking the exact same thing myself.....who knows....maybe being Ex-SAS, Navy Seal or "special ops" thing around Pattaya is out of fashion this year around the bars ..and the new Ex-SAS etc is being an offshore Oil and Gas worker...... :D

I for one as a freelancer am required to turn up with my own PPE so find this thread very helpfull why oh why do we always get these inaine comments to what is a perfectly sensible question.

As a long time offshore hand excuse my nosyness, but if you don't ask............. :D

I for one as a freelancer am required to turn up with my own PPE so find this thread very helpfull why oh why do we always get these inaine comments to what is a perfectly sensible question.

So along with your own PPE, you turn up offshore with an attitude like that...???....which one are you ? a bubblehead or a dope on a rope... :) ...another attribute for offshore....a sense of humour goes a long way... :D

Edited by Soutpeel

As a long time offshore hand excuse my nosyness, but if you don't ask............. :D

I'm freelance and have never supplied my own PPE, I was a OIM for many years and never came across anybody in recent times who supplied there own PPE, given that, I don't consider it an inane (spelt correctly :) ) comment.

Have a safe day now :D

I'm freelance and have never supplied my own PPE, I was a OIM for many years and never came across anybody in recent times who supplied there own PPE, given that, I don't consider it an inane (spelt correctly :D ) comment.

Agreed....may be the OP wants the reflective strip overalls for going the disco ??.... :) ....will admit may years ago I did get off a crewboat in my reflective overalls and red wings and headed straight for a bar/disco with offshore bag in hand and arrived home many hours later only dressed in my underpants and red wings.... :D

In an Industry utilizing a large number of consultants in rolls offshore and onshore such as Drilling Supervisors, Geologists, Mud Engineers, HSE officers etc... PPE is not always provided by the Client, it's not at all unusual for the consultant provide their own PPE.

None of the positions you have mentioned are "consultants", they maybe freelancers or contractors...but not "consultants"....let me guess Richard you are involved in the HR business ??.....This is like calling plumbers...Sanitary Engineers....crock of PC sh*t

Definition of a consultant....someone you pay a lot of money to tell you the time on your own watch.. :)

FYI...Once offshore where ever they are working, the facility concerned is obligated to provide the required Basic PPE free of charge to the worker....and I am not guessing this, I know this as fact, as I work offshore

In an Industry utilizing a large number of consultants in rolls offshore and onshore such as Drilling Supervisors, Geologists, Mud Engineers, HSE officers etc... PPE is not always provided by the Client, it's not at all unusual for the consultant provide their own PPE.

None of the positions you have mentioned are "consultants", they maybe freelancers or contractors...but not "consultants"....let me guess Richard you are involved in the HR business ??.....This is like calling plumbers...Sanitary Engineers....crock of PC sh*t

Definition of a consultant....someone you pay a lot of money to tell you the time on your own watch.. :)

FYI...Once offshore where ever they are working, the facility concerned is obligated to provide the required Basic PPE free of charge to the worker....and I am not guessing this, I know this as fact, as I work offshore

Well I have worked offshore for the last 18 years, with the last 6 years as a consultant Well Test Engineer / Well Service Supervisor. I am required to provide my own PPE unless the client specifically wants me to where their colors. As for your comment of Drlg Supv, Mud Men not being consultants - well you and I must work in a different industry as the vast majority that I know and work with, are also consultants. Never heard of any agencies called Oil Contractors!! But I know and have worked through Oil Consultants, Wellwise Consultants, Ecodrill Consultants to name but a few.

Cheers

As a private contractor to Chevron here in the Gulf for near to 3 years I provided my own safety gear which I bought back from Australia as needed. We are talking 6 years ago now and quality, certified safety apparel was very hard to get in Thailand. The quality of the gear the Thai contractors were wearing at the time was testament to that.

Edit. Just to add 80% of my day was spent at the "coal face" not sitting behind a desk. AND NO mud! Just clean wires and electronic thingys!

Edited by bdenner

Definition of a consultant....someone you pay a lot of money to tell you the time on your own watch.. :D

Well I have worked offshore for the last 18 years, with the last 6 years as a consultant Well Test Engineer / Well Service Supervisor. I am required to provide my own PPE unless the client specifically wants me to where their colors. As for your comment of Drlg Supv, Mud Men not being consultants - well you and I must work in a different industry as the vast majority that I know and work with, are also consultants. Never heard of any agencies called Oil Contractors!! But I know and have worked through Oil Consultants, Wellwise Consultants, Ecodrill Consultants to name but a few.

Cheers

Not to get in a p*ss match over who has worked offshore the longest (incidently me) but have yet to come across the title offshore..."Consultant Mud Man"... :) ...or "Consultant Well Test Engineer".....have certainly come across the titles Consulting Engineer, Consultant drilling engineer....but all these guys were sitting in offices...not sitting on the drill floor or on the main deck of a platform doing their downhole janitor duties...Whats wrong with just being Well Test Engineer or Well Services Supervisor ??

Soutpeel ....have you ever been offshore???

FYI the facility is NOT obligated to provide PPE and certainly not free. On the odd occassion when bags containing work gear get lost as an example the rig may have spares in the store which normally get charged back to the employees company. All inductions etc state that you must have the correct PPE before travelling offshore.

Another fact ... all the above job titles are consultant positions.

Stop being a complete tosser and if you don't know where to get work gear then leave out the ''disco'' comments etc. The OP was only asking a civil question and after seeing your comments has probably wandered why he ever did ask and maybe thats why hasn't replied.

Actually all of the positions he noted have consultants within the industry and drilling contractors are not required to provide 3rd party or client contractors (including "consultants') with PPE

26 years offshore here

You ask a simple question.............. :)

PPE provision and standard will be whatever the client has contractually stipulated, the "majors" will generally expect contractors to have the same standard as there own. Though in recent years many contractors have a higher standard

Drilling contractors will provide only to their personnel to at least minimum contact standard. (yes, we do help out when needed, not worth backcharging as would cost more than the PPE)

3rd party personnel must meet the minimum standards of the drilling contractor, who-ever is sending them offshore must ensure they are aware and comply!

Clear as mud?

37 years offshore hear?

Edited by CGW

Soutpeel ....have you ever been offshore???

FYI the facility is NOT obligated to provide PPE and certainly not free. On the odd occassion when bags containing work gear get lost as an example the rig may have spares in the store which normally get charged back to the employees company. All inductions etc state that you must have the correct PPE before travelling offshore.

Another fact ... all the above job titles are consultant positions.

Stop being a complete tosser and if you don't know where to get work gear then leave out the ''disco'' comments etc. The OP was only asking a civil question and after seeing your comments has probably wandered why he ever did ask and maybe thats why hasn't replied.

Yes thanks many a year....and in all my time I have never been asked asked to supply PPE at my own cost and all required safety training ie BOSIET etc is provided at no cost to me.

On my facility, if some one turns up without the correct/no basic PPE they are given the required basic PPE and there is no backcharge to their company, as its bascially too much hassle to backcharge for a pair of boots overall's etc.

Will still stand by comment that this title "consultant" is BS...

"Tosser"... :) ...been called a lot worse...

You boys should get a sense of humour.....its called taking the p*ss....Which as a north sea tiger you should know about.. :D

If you try reading the whole thread, you will see I did answer his question in a civil manner

Hi and thanks or all replies, I usually do get supplied PPE from my company, but as they are UK based and I expect to be travelling direct to worksite from thailand on many occasions and to different worksites offshore, contracting to various clients via my employer

thanks

Hi and thanks or all replies, I usually do get supplied PPE from my company, but as they are UK based and I expect to be travelling direct to worksite from thailand on many occasions and to different worksites offshore, contracting to various clients via my employer

thanks

Hi again and thanks a million for all remarks genuine and pisstaking too, each and every company/client has different stipulations as I can see from all your replies, but I have always been learned to go to work prepared and whether the client supplies PPE or not (I have experienced both situations), I would always prefer to go to work prepared if possible, simply because I may be on Construction vessel one week and in construction yard another week and on DSV in another week, I see there are many opinions about who knows best about what, but the main thing is that my question has been answered.

thanks again

Soutpeel, I'm in one of those positions mentioned above as a consultant - depending on the operation I could work for as many as 6 clients in any year.

Perhaps the Exploration part of the industry differs somewhat from the production side.

It's 19:00 hrs - thats $1500 please....

I provide all my own PPE.

Soutpeel, I'm in one of those positions mentioned above as a consultant - depending on the operation I could work for as many as 6 clients in any year.

Perhaps the Exploration part of the industry differs somewhat from the production side.

One more point - I thought Freelancers work in the beers bars... and also often provide their own PPE.

Definition of a consultant....someone you pay a lot of money to tell you the time on your own watch.. :D

Ka....ching.....more days more pays... :D ....great isnt it...getting paid to argue and take the p*ss on TV... :)

Ka....ching.....more days more pays... :D ....great isnt it...getting paid to argue and take the p*ss on TV... :)

Even greater being on a land job and not offshore ! Still no beer though.

One more point - I thought Freelancers work in the beers bars... and also often provide their own PPE.

:) ....PPE is optional, not always enforced and in almost all cases JHA/PTW not used.. :D

Suppose the only answer I can think of to this comment is "***". As an offshore worker myself, and one of those responsibilities is the issue of PPE for OUR company's employees, I have often had to consider requests for PPE from third party operators/consultants/whatever the current phrase is for these guys.

The OP gave the perfectly logical answer; going to work site directly from Walking Street hence the need for quality kit. Makes sense. I reckon a few regulars here, sitting on the beach, waiting for their next job saw a newbie that needed a new arsehol_e torn for him.

I have been a... Consultant for the best part of 20 years now. I was an Engineer (another dirty word?) for about 12 years before that and the assumption by some here that PPE requirements in the E&P business are somehow standardised globally is a bit of a joke. I am 6' 4" and not fat but I have yet to come across any of the Clients or Contractors that provide something THAT FITS PROPERLY from their on-site stores. The Chinese Contractors in particular usually don't have anything bigger than 'kids' sizes. So I always buy my own PPE gear, bring it with me and 'donate' it to the job on demobilisation. Maybe the next tall and good looking Consultant can use it.

PS. When getting paid US$2500/day base rate + per diem, I don't usually request reimbursement for any PPE gear on my end-of-job expense claims, just the upgrade from Business to First (when available).

PPS. Freelancers do NOT work in beer bars. They work waterside on Beach Road... and invariably, the PPE that they provide is too small for me as well.

2500 US per day .... Nice ! not too many of those going about ...

i remember few years ago myself and my b2b were alternating in a fab yard prior to a rig sail out, even though we were on a very good day rate, couldn't believe the guy was putting sub $5 receipts for all kinds of shit ... some people are pretty anal.. Even in my current position I can't be bothered to do the paperwork for the fare to Pattaya to Airport al though its in the contract door to door

The posters question is pretty valid as i've gone to loads of jobs where you are give ill-fitting or crap PPE.....Quality boots are top of my list when departing for any job, especially if your'e on 12 hour shifts...

What i do, always turn up with quality gear, if they provide good stuff take it and keep your own stuff as spare...actually have a backlog of Jallettis, Steel Blue boots, overslls, helmets etc..

Edited by William Osborne