Hotel Search Engines

I've used Latestays, Sawadee, Agoda and a couple of times, Directrooms, and I've booked online many times. Never had problem with any of them. If I don't know the hotel I use tripadvisor to get some reviews, and I always check the hotels own site. I usually check them all and there have been times when a two week stay has resulted in hotel vouchers from 3 or 4 different companies.

Latestays is consistently the cheapest but you can't book until about a month prior. Sawadee often has lots of deals (extra nights etc) out of high season and has a pretty good selection in thailand. Agoda has a good website and I've got rooms on them when the others are showing no rooms but they are consistently more expensive for the same rooms, they are less likely to have specials, and I think they usually take the money immediately upon booking. Some of the best deals have come from hotel's own websites.

I've never seen a price for hotels or airfares on expedia or orbit etc that couldn't be beaten on other sites - maybe thats because I've only booked from either LOS or AUS and the good prices are in the US etc.

Edited by Sporting Dog

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you never buy airtickets these days eh? :)

:D what's that got to do with it? some airline websites add taxes at the end, some don't. the majority of low-cost/budget carriers add the extras at the end to conceal the true price at the outset. take from that what you will!!

I had a look at agoda but I noticed they had a few sneaky add-ons when confirming final cost - that's a big, big thumbs down in my book. :D

saying that, by the looks of the previous posts on this thread, plenty of people must be falling for their sly tricks.

Only a few months ago ALL airlines were quoting prices without surcharges and had done for 2 years previously.

If you don't approve of that practice for hotel bookings then I guess you weren't flying anywhere in that time.

:D what a load of absolute nonsense!! ALL airlines? I've booked loads of flights during the last 2 years and can't recall your claim re surcharges. as I said, some show the full price throughout, some add taxes at the end. eg I've booked twice through emirates.co.uk within the last year and the full price was displayed from the outset.

besides, due to your evident frustration we are straying from the topic yet again. we're talking about hotels. :D

let's just agree to disagree PattayaParent. :D

:) deary me.....
I always check the price INCLUDING tax and then compare it to other websites and the hotels direct booking website.

:D good for you. I don't know why you're trying to defend agoda - unless you have a business interest? why would anyone bother with a false economy service when the competitors offer the true story?

I have no interest in Agoda but I am happy to defend them regardless of your perceived dishonesty. They are convenient to use, do refunds promptly, have a useful points system and are competitively priced. I will continue to use them.

The big thing I like about Sawadee.com is it has hotels you don't find on the other sites, and it has the most guest reviews. Even if I don't book through them, I use their site to get an idea of what the hotel is like and any pitfalls to look out for.

Op, rather than search through individual hotel sites, simply google the given hotel and then you'll invariably see which sites do it in the top 30 SERPS. Directrooms seem ok. Haven't been shafted by one but for the sake of staying on-topic, I wouldn't use one that bunged a charge on at the end.

I always at least look at Agoda when I'm looking to book hotels either in Thailand or elsewhere in Asia.... But as best as I can recall, I've never actually booked with them, because they've NEVER ended up having the best REAL FINAL price to be had.

I too find it annoying that Agoda doesn't list the taxes and service charges in the rates you initially see on their web site. So when I'm pricing them, I always follow thru until I see the final price with everything included...and someone else always beats them.

Asiarooms.com often has the lowest final price. And they've gotten better in terms of having more hotels where you can obtain an instant confirmation.

PassionAsia for a period also had very good rates, but lately, they haven't been competitive at all.... AsiaRooms often has the best rates, but at times, it's also been AsiaTravel or DirectRooms. R24.com also often has good rates for the smaller, local hotels inside Thailand.

I use asiarooms where I can and ratestogo.com for last minute bookings.

I used to use asiatravel but their website is crap and they've fallen well behind their competitors IMO.

I had a look at agoda but I noticed they had a few sneaky add-ons when confirming final cost - that's a big, big thumbs down in my book. :)

saying that, by the looks of the previous posts on this thread, plenty of people must be falling for their sly tricks.

asiarooms take credit card confirmation and you pay on check out from hotel - good rates and no agoda-style add-ons. the price you see is the price you pay.

ratestogo.com are good for last minute rooms (within 28 days). some bargains to be had.

The sly trick that I always fall for is that they are consistently the cheapest price to be had.

So as a test I just checked out the prices of some of the recommended search engines for a hotel I frequently stay at, The St. James, for the night of 24 April.

Asiarooms was by far the most expensive rate (1,800 Baht)

Then Rates To Go at 1,600 Baht (including hidden booking fee)

Agoda was 1,545 Baht

and the hotels own website 1,500 Baht.

Only the Agoda website allowed a search for a specific hotel name, the other 2 I had to trawl through the pages to find the hotel so Agoda wins on user friendliness too.

PP, that's interesting... When I replicated your search for the St. James, I got the same rates as you mentioned for Agoda and Asiarooms.... I just know, in my experience in booking a lot of hotel rooms inside and outside Thailand, that kind of price advantage for Agoda hasn't been the case...

And, your comment about Asiarooms not having a search function by hotel is just not correct. Agoda has a pull down box with a list of hotels from each city you can choose. Asiarooms has a search box on their home page, and even once you've chosen a hotel page from their site, the search box allows you to search by hotel name. Entering the St. James in the search box on the Asiarooms home page quickly pulls up their page for the St. James in Bangkok.

But, the example does prove the general point: it pays to search around every time you do a booking. No one hotel booking site is going to always have the best rates... I'd always check 3 or 4 for the destination I have in mind, usually being Asiarooms, Agoda, DirectRooms, AsiaTravel and, if inside Thailand, R24....

Edited by jfchandler

JF, I did type in the St. James name in the search box and it told me it doesn't exist so I sorted the hotels by name and then used trial and error to find it.

Edit: I agree about shopping around but as I always find Agoda has the best price I seldom bother these days, my time is worth more than a 45 Baht saving when I get an added benefit of free rooms anyway.

Edited by PattayaParent

Worked fine for me... See attached screen shot...

post-53787-1269856171_thumb.jpg

:) honestly mate, don't waste your time on this thread. PattayaParent has got a bee in his bonnet and just can't take his medicine.

....or......possibly......

PattayaParent = Agoda employee.

I usually compare many sites to see what turns up. Although I have never booked with them, Agoda always seems to have the lowest nightly rate, often beating out Latestays.

Agoda does tack on a "Service Charge and Tax" per night that is usually around if not under the $10.

I snoop around, Google a lot and have found some great deals, better than what these site are offering. I have even contacted a hotel directly and was offered a better rate than what was offered on Agoda.

My lesson, I stay flexible and shop around. Although if I ever ran out of options, I'd probably go with Agoda. Even with the "Taxes/Service Fee" tacked on each day, they still come out tad below every other search engine I've tried.

(I tried to edit my mistakes, but this form is not user friendly. I have to erase everything to get to a mistake. Normal?)

Worked fine for me... See attached screen shot...

:) honestly mate, don't waste your time on this thread. PattayaParent has got a bee in his bonnet and just can't take his medicine.

....or......possibly......

PattayaParent = Agoda employee.

Ha,

you're the guy that says he doesn't like hidden charges and then recommends a website which HAS hidden charges and another that is the most expensive in a test comparison.

Maybe it's YOU that has a vested interest in promoting these websites, or is it that we just can't trust what you say?

:) PattayaParent is like some yappy little dog who keeps biting away at someones heels, no matter how many times he gets booted in the face!! :D

if PP genuinely has no business interests in agoda then I can only imagine he is one sad, sad desperate little man!! :D

you're clearly not going to take your medicine so I now suggest you go get yourself laid - providing you can find a mate. it'll put things in perspective.

:D

What's the matter?

Been proved to be wrong so you have to resort to insults because you've lost face?

:) I've been proved wrong????? :D:D:D you're getting so desperate now I actually feel sorry for you.

myself, and others, have remained diplomatic and explained ourselves clearly to you, but you still come back for more punishment like some punch-drunk boxer!! :D

lost face? :D there's only 1 person making a complete fool of themselves. :D

you've desperately cherry-picked some example to compare (which iirc has been proven wrong) and have completely lost sight of the point.

good day to you PattayaParent - Im off to get laid.

:D

Is breakfast included when booking through Agoda??

I can't find it in their terms and conditions.

I believe that it depends on the hotel and on your reservation. Sometimes, you have the choice between booking a room only, or a room with breakfast.

myself, and others, have remained diplomatic and explained ourselves clearly to you, but you still come back for more punishment like some punch-drunk boxer!!

Game4shame, are these comments (of yours) your idea of remaining "diplomatic?":

"PattayaParent is like some yappy little dog who keeps biting away at someones heels, no matter how many times he gets booted in the face!! :) "

"if PP genuinely has no business interests in agoda then I can only imagine he is one sad, sad desperate little man!! :D "

"you're clearly not going to take your medicine so I now suggest you go get yourself laid - providing you can find a mate. it'll put things in perspective."

"PattayaParent has got a bee in his bonnet and just can't take his medicine."

After reading this thread again, it seems that PattayaParent has been the more "diplomatic" one who clearly stated his ideas instead of resorting to insults to make himself feel better. You, on the other hand, cannot say the same.

I thought that personal attacks were not allowed on these forums?

Last week you said:

I'm done with this thread - I've tried to remain diplomatic and agree to disagree so let's just leave it at that.

Perhaps you really should have just left it at that!

Game4shame, are these comments (of yours) your idea of remaining "diplomatic?":

"PattayaParent is like some yappy little dog who keeps biting away at someones heels, no matter how many times he gets booted in the face!! :) "

"if PP genuinely has no business interests in agoda then I can only imagine he is one sad, sad desperate little man!! :D "

"you're clearly not going to take your medicine so I now suggest you go get yourself laid - providing you can find a mate. it'll put things in perspective."

"PattayaParent has got a bee in his bonnet and just can't take his medicine."

After reading this thread again, it seems that PattayaParent has been the more "diplomatic" one who clearly stated his ideas instead of resorting to insults to make himself feel better. You, on the other hand, cannot say the same.

I thought that personal attacks were not allowed on these forums?

FYI I made the comments you are referring to AFTER trying, and failing, to keep the peace. I suggested agreeing to disagree on a number of occasions and added genuine smiley faces but PP just couldn't accept another point of view. other members have tried to get the point across too.

and I actually requested this thread be closed prior to those comments as I could see the way it was deteriorating.

besides - if you are not PP in disguise - you are not a mod or admin so.........do the honourable thing.......

FYI I made the comments you are referring to AFTER trying, and failing, to keep the peace. I suggested agreeing to disagree on a number of occasions and added genuine smiley faces but PP just couldn't accept another point of view. other members have tried to get the point across too.

You suggested agreeing to disagree? But then you got upset when another member continued to post comments supporting his opinions? You didn't seem to mind people who agreed with you continuing to post, but rather only those who had a differing opinion. I'm sorry to break it to you, but you don't get to decide when other people should stop posting. Practice what you preach...you are not a mod either. :)

You suggested agreeing to disagree? But then you got upset when another member continued to post comments supporting his opinions? You didn't seem to mind people who agreed with you continuing to post, but rather only those who had a differing opinion. I'm sorry to break it to you, but you don't get to decide when other people should stop posting. Practice what you preach...you are not a mod either. :D

:) I got upset? :D now that is good.

I have been pi55in' myself laughing for the majority of this topic. why would anyone get so up-tight trying to defend an internet company if they genuinely have no business interest??? it's hilarious. :D:D:D

I tried to offer a reasonable solution to our disagreement but PP continued to argue his case with me and others.

anyway, what's your motive? have I offended your bf? :D

back to topic guys please,

Try painai.com.They compare offers from various search engines

Normally I can have the best price through them

Only exeption I witnessed;one friend booked a luxury room in Narai in BKK for 2700b.The room was at 1600 b in hotel.... :)

I have been pi55in' myself laughing for the majority of this topic. why would anyone get so up-tight trying to defend an internet company if they genuinely have no business interest??? it's hilarious. :):D:D

Why would anyone get so up-tight about trying to argue against an internet company? It's hilarious. :D

I tried to offer a reasonable solution to our disagreement but PP continued to argue his case with me and others.

Again, he has the right to present his case as long as he wants. And from what I read, it didn't appear that he was "arguing," but simply discussing. I bet there are people out there (myself included) that enjoyed reading the continued dialog and comparison of different websites. If you don't want to continue reading opinions that differ from yours, then stop reading the thread. It's not like anyone is harassing you and sending you bunches of private messages about hotel search engines, right? :D

anyway, what's your motive? have I offended your bf? :D

My motive? A motive for what, having an opinion?