My Mate Ran Over Someone When Drunk

kurnell

Hard to believe eh? Yes, I'm making it all up. Sigh!

If anyone doubts that this story is true, then put your money where your mouth is and come along and when my mate pays to get his licence back. If you all chip in then he can get off without paying a bean.

***Lastest update is that the damaged officer has changed his mind about the fee he wants as compansation. Apprarently he is quite badly bruised and his clothes are torn. In fact I think that he has had a bit of a think about it, realised that my mate is keen to get his licence back and reckons (and is right) that he can ask for more. Originally he asked for 10k, now he wants 40k, so I guess we have a winner based on the original figure. So Canuckamuck come and collect your prize!!

yay me!

bottle of red what? better not be nail polish :)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone doubts that this story is true, then put your money where your mouth is and come along and when my mate pays to get his licence back. If you all chip in then he can get off without paying a bean.

***Lastest update is that the damaged officer has changed his mind about the fee he wants as compansation. Apprarently he is quite badly bruised and his clothes are torn. In fact I think that he has had a bit of a think about it, realised that my mate is keen to get his licence back and reckons (and is right) that he can ask for more. Originally he asked for 10k, now he wants 40k, so I guess we have a winner based on the original figure. So Canuckamuck come and collect your prize!!

yay me!

Bin 2. How can I deliver?

yay me!

I'll pick it up, and forward it to the winner....

Tell your friend to play the card of "I'm not a RICH farang", and they may well return to the original demand of 10,000. They won't throw the book at him as long as there is a chance of getting money from him. He DOES have bargaining power ! The new demand is a HUGE amount for a Thai. 5,000 is more realistic for bruises. Plus an apology, of course.

Leaving the scene (twice) is not so bad.....Thais do it all the time.

Edited by Latindancer

Tell your friend to play the card of "I'm not a RICH farang", and they may well return to the original demand of 10,000. They won't throw the book at him as long as there is a chance of getting money from him. The new demand is a HUGE amount for a Thai. 5,000 is more realistic. Plus an apology, of course.

Not likely, but...should I be in this situation, I would not play this kind of game....I would apologize, explaining that I was not in my normal state, I would pay whatever is asked for, top it with a couple of bottles of wine, and would make friend with the cop.....and would feel myself very lucky not to end up in a world of sh*t....

My 2 cents...

yay me!

bottle of red what? better not be nail polish :D

I'll pick it up, and forward it to the winner....

I think I'm closer than you

:)

yay me!

I sent you a PM

I hope that some of the posters who accuse Thais of always fleeing the scene of the accident read this thread. I also hope your friend gets this resolved and that the person he hit is OK.

Keep us posted.

Or how about those that say while we are in Thailand we should do as Thais do.

Yes, he is a yank I am afraid. His theory is that as the coppers didn't draw their guns and batter him senseless when they pulled him over, then he probably didn't kill anyone. This is the lawyer's theory also.

Seems he was already senseless so out of compassion they felt no need to kick a man while he's down... Doh!!

Edited by WarpSpeed

Terribly sorry, but i also feel this situation is being economical on the factual events. Knowing the (no offence to my fellow Thai's) "mob mentality" after the three officers on the bikes were evaded, I would have expected about 20 top be hunting driver down. Sure there are masses of new Honda civic's in nN colour, but i'd also expect the police officers, after taking the drivers license away, also making note of his car plate....

Therefore, pics of damaged car sans wing mirror or thread closed.

I'll spare my thoughts about driving when drunk.

Tell your friend to play the card of "I'm not a RICH farang", and they may well return to the original demand of 10,000. They won't throw the book at him as long as there is a chance of getting money from him. He DOES have bargaining power ! The new demand is a HUGE amount for a Thai. 5,000 is more realistic for bruises. Plus an apology, of course.

I disagree, he deserves to pay alot more than the 40,000 then have the <deleted> kicked out of him. He could of killed someone, possibly the policeman, perhaps an innocent child. He oughta be ashamed of himself.

maybe they just told him to bring the cash cos they want to catch him. Its a classic bait and switch!

"Oh, look here is with the 40k deposit ready to negotiate his unconditional release, let the games begin"

I'd have arrange to meet the copper at a local BIG restaurant to buy him (and his mates probably) lunch by way of apology. But in doing this you can:

A) film the entire transaction with the help of a discrete friend and a mobile phone

:) Be more confident that its not a trap just to get you into custody

C) establish a decent rapport with the Officer and let him know you are unreservedly sorry (giving him great face)

just my two penneth.

(oh, and D, proving to us that this whole debacle didn't just take place in the hollows of your vivid imagination!)

maybe they just told him to bring the cash cos they want to catch him. Its a classic bait and switch!

"Oh, look here is with the 40k deposit ready to negotiate his unconditional release, let the games begin"

I'd have arrange to meet the copper at a local BIG restaurant to buy him (and his mates probably) lunch by way of apology. But in doing this you can:

A) film the entire transaction with the help of a discrete friend and a mobile phone

:) Be more confident that its not a trap just to get you into custody

C) establish a decent rapport with the Officer and let him know you are unreservedly sorry (giving him great face)

just my two penneth.

(oh, and D, proving to us that this whole debacle didn't just take place in the hollows of your vivid imagination!)

You must be green behind your ears, do you really think they are sooooo stupid? If they really know something, then it is how to take a big bribe.

What a lucky so n so, even if it were 400k. He could (should) be in the nick scoffing fish-head soup for the next decade. Tell your mate to also take a basket of fruit and a bottle of Black and make it 50k. :)

:D Be more confident that its not a trap just to get you into custody

just my two penneth.

You must be green behind your ears, do you really think they are sooooo stupid? If they really know something, then it is how to take a big bribe.

I must have used too many big words because the point I was making is that they are indeed setting him up for a big BIG bribe and advising caution in his approach.

Are you reading impaired? :)

Some ahole I know run over a killed a guy and got away with leaving the scene for 10K as the guy was Burmese.

The whole thing made me sick to the stomach.

If that is real, I feel a bit bad for having had to laugh when I read it. I sounds like something from a comic strip. :)

I disagree, he deserves to pay alot more than the 40,000 then have the <deleted> kicked out of him. He could of killed someone, possibly the policeman, perhaps an innocent child. He oughta be ashamed of himself.

Totally agree with you

Well, the transaction went fine. My mate paid me, I paid the go between and he got his licence back, guaranteed no recriminations. I asked my copper mate whether he thought it a bit rude that farang ran over a Thai cop and did a runner. Twice. He said that he did the right thing, otherwise he would have gotten a hiding.

Hssl I can get you some Bin 2 if you like. Good price :)