Easy Getaway

Sojourner

Been here ten years and it never occured to me to head up to Doi Inthanan this time of year until today. Guess I'm a slow learner. What a treat. First of all the drive up highway 1009 showed no signs of the scorched earth policy of rural Thais. Many of the trees are showing new growth so a lot of green was dotting the mountain sides. The trees and folliage along the creeks and rivers were complete with their new growth. We arrived at the chedis at noon and the temperature was showing 19.1 C. That should really tempt your taste buds for clear, crisp air. The sky was blue and no smell of smoke. Just avoid looking down into the valleys and savor the moment. We stopped at the Vachiratharn Waterfall on the way down just to relax and dip our feet in the cold water. If you go, don't be in a hurry. Just enjoy what northern Thailand is famous for.

Hi Sojourner

You haven't got any photos to show have you? I know it's possible to grab pics from the SE's on just about everything these days, but sometimes it's nice to see a few shots of these kinds of things at the time.

Cheers

Aitch

What was the entrance fee for whiteskin man ? I heard Thais pay 50b while whiteskin have to pay 400b. For me reason enough not to go, I avoid any racistic scam places because I hate quarrels with those dumb peps, though it seems you can get in for free via the backside.

I like Doi Nonghoi a lot, road of the road Maerim - Samung, can't get enough of that trip, best by motorbike, also great is Doi Suthep per 4x4 and down via the backside ending up at Hui Tong Teaw lake.

What was the entrance fee for whiteskin man ? I heard Thais pay 50b while whiteskin have to pay 400b. For me reason enough not to go, I avoid any racistic scam places because I hate quarrels with those dumb peps, though it seems you can get in for free via the backside.

I like Doi Nonghoi a lot, road of the road Maerim - Samung, can't get enough of that trip, best by motorbike, also great is Doi Suthep per 4x4 and down via the backside ending up at Hui Tong Teaw lake.

Me too!! I will suffer a bit of heat rather than pay 8x times the price that a Thai pays. And on the two occasions a few years back when I did go to the top I had a car full of Thai's.

So now the Thai's miss out too.

If you've got a Thai driver's license then it's the same price the Thais pay, otherwise you're out of luck.

You can always tell the fellow at the first ticket booth you're going to Mae Chaem to visit your girlfriend's relatives. Same story at the second ticket booth. After the second ticket booth turn left towards Mae Chaem, wait a few minutes then make a U turn then left up the mountain to Doi Inthanan. You didn't hear this from me, OK?

Edited by Sojourner

Sweltering here in Bangers, that sounds like a bit of "paradise" to me. Some pics would have done a treat I agree. Nice post.

Not really. Chiang Mai gets scorching hot in the hot season, and the Doi Inthanon area to be honest gets VERY dry. I was amazed to read there even was any water at all at the waterfall; this will get less and less until the end of April or so.

I think it's a terrible place to escape anything during the hot/hazy season.

Pattaya is a very sensible escape in just about all aspects except temperature.

... head up to Doi Inthanan this time of year ... for clear, crisp air. The sky was blue and no smell of smoke.

That's an excellent idea.

Thank you, Sojourner, for posting about Doi Inthanon.

For those who've never been, it is cold at the top, and the wind makes the cold more intense.

I took both a sweater and a jacket, but the Thais had nothing but t-shirts.

They quickly came to regret that and retreated to the van.

The narrow, winding roads make it an exhausting trip for the driver, so I hired a tour van instead of driving.

Very comfortable that way.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

I have been to the top of Doi Inthanan three times. First time by taxi, second time I drove. great drive. The third time went with friends they drove. All three times were in January and I can say that two of those times I have had it SNOW ON ME IN THAILAND. :) Not much but I was the dumb farang shaking the Thais knew. better. :D

My experience is that the farang pay 400 baht, even with a passport.. :)

A passport just shows you are a visitor, whereas a 5 year licence or work permit etc, shows that you most likely reside here.

Correct. Getting the Thai rate requires a Thai driver's license or a Thai work permit

Or, as mentioned, go in the back way (road from Mae Chaem).

Extremely tight, lots of elevation changes.

And the drive/ride from Hod to Mae Chaem is rather scenic as well.

Road dumps out a few hundred meters inside the park, turn left and go up the hill.

Free.