Westerners Follow Thai Brides To Live In Hard-Up Northeast

webfact

Thanks a lot for your advice :D Only one poster advised moving to Buriram, interesting. I wonder which option carries the most and least amount of life expectancy I suspect old patters is the worst on this front but I bet you'd go out with a smile on your face! :)

Yeah. That poster was me. It really depends on what you want. I would choose Buriram because the land is really quite beautiful around there. I would also want to live in comfort, and it sounds like the house in Buriram would provide that. Beaches, bars, girls, foreign foods, etc are all available in Pattaya and elsewhere, but would be severely limited in Buriram. Personally, I want my retirement to be peaceful. I want a spread of land and a comfortable house. I want to wake up, step outside, and smell fresh air and see pregnant crops before harvest. I appreciate the rural Thais and their attitude.

Pattaya is sin city. I wouldn't want to live there full time. Well, maybe I would, but I don't think I'll be able to afford it when the time comes. It would be better, and healthier, to get my Pattaya fix in small doses.

BKK is polluted and has far too many people. It wouldn't be comfortable for me in retirement.

I expect to have simple needs in my retirement, comfort being chief among them. Buriram or near any rural city center would do me just fine.

Thanks way2muchcoffee, you have really got me thinking, like you the Pattaya thing is probably a non starter. I have been there many times but after a day or two I usually have had enough and want to leave. I was a bit worried about the isolation in Buriram but then in Bangkok I don't often go out hence being on Thai Visa on a Saturday night! So perhaps the girlfriends house is the best option. Thanks to everyone else for their contributions too :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread would be better suited for "General Topics". It's not news.

WESTERNERS , FOLLOW THAI BAR GIRLS TO ISSAN .

since most of the farangs , living in issan . met their thai wives / girl friends working in the hospitality buisness , in pattaya , phucket , bangkok . it being their plan to net a farang in these places. The road to issan , has been well trodden , for a long time .. :)

True, but rarely admitted. Calling it 'hospitality business' is about the nicest phrase you could use.

I am 46 and my wife 27 we have been married now for 9 years and have a wonderful 8 year old son, we built a home in my wifes village in Sri Samrong about 20klms from Sukhothai and since building the house have purchased 30 acres of land ajoining the house. The best part of the day is sitting back on the balcony in the afternoon overlooking the fields and watching the sun set with my beautiful wife whilst sharing a nice cold Chang and good conversation and thinking how lucky and privlaged I am to have been brought into this enviroment as there is nothing better than this.

Good on you. Things can be good as long as the money flows. If/when the money spigot looks to be drying up, the woman is gone. She might tolerate struggling existence with a local guy, but with a farang, they expect the money keep flowing.

Thanks a lot for your advice :D Only one poster advised moving to Buriram, interesting. I wonder which option carries the most and least amount of life expectancy I suspect old patters is the worst on this front but I bet you'd go out with a smile on your face! :D

Yeah. That poster was me. It really depends on what you want. I would choose Buriram because the land is really quite beautiful around there. I would also want to live in comfort, and it sounds like the house in Buriram would provide that. Beaches, bars, girls, foreign foods, etc are all available in Pattaya and elsewhere, but would be severely limited in Buriram. Personally, I want my retirement to be peaceful. I want a spread of land and a comfortable house. I want to wake up, step outside, and smell fresh air and see pregnant crops before harvest. I appreciate the rural Thais and their attitude.

Pattaya is sin city. I wouldn't want to live there full time. Well, maybe I would, but I don't think I'll be able to afford it when the time comes. It would be better, and healthier, to get my Pattaya fix in small doses.

BKK is polluted and has far too many people. It wouldn't be comfortable for me in retirement.

I expect to have simple needs in my retirement, comfort being chief among them. Buriram or near any rural city center would do me just fine.

Thanks way2muchcoffee, you have really got me thinking, like you the Pattaya thing is probably a non starter. I have been there many times but after a day or two I usually have had enough and want to leave. I was a bit worried about the isolation in Buriram but then in Bangkok I don't often go out hence being on Thai Visa on a Saturday night! So perhaps the girlfriends house is the best option. Thanks to everyone else for their contributions too :D

Where in Pattaya did you visit? Central? If so, I agree...it is not a nice place to live. Head south and check it out. South of Jomtien. We spent yesterday driving around Ban Chang. A really nice place, great restaurants on the beach, mostly Thai's around there. Bang Saray is also very nice. Great beaches. And you are only 20 minutes to Pattaya, but a world away. It was a great drive yesterday...we really enjoyed it. If you are trying to decide where to live, I highly recommend checking these places out.

We plan to live in Baan Amphur for about 4-5 years, then move into the countryside after that. I am 52, so still like to listen to live music (jazz, blues) and eat at various restaurants (we are foodies!). Now if I can just keep wifey from spending too much time in Central Festival shopping! :)

Things can be good as long as the money flows. If/when the money spigot looks to be drying up, the woman is gone. She might tolerate struggling existence with a local guy, but with a farang, they expect the money keep flowing.

Basically the brutal bottom line to me is a vast number of Isaan/Western relationships that go up the Swanee are the result of getting involved with somebody whose family haven't got a pot to piss in nor window to thrown it out of. It's almost as if there's an unwritten rule for the majority of westerners that you've got to get involved with someone who earns as little as possible with family in the same boat. It'd take a strong woman who struggles from month to month to not expect a draw from someone who spends o an night out what she earns in a month. Sitting there as he goes through a bottle of Jack Daniels in a 5 star joint when the finance boys on their Honda Phantom are knocking on her mums door again for 1000 baht.

There's a large pool of eligible Thai ladies out there where her an her family will expect nothing more than a loving husband and sincere son in law. Self sufficient middle class people who have no want nor need for "the farang's money" People who don't thing of you as "the farang" but a well respected and loved member of the family. I should know. I'm one of them.

Well, if you're retired and hence getting a bit on the old side, health becomes an issue or could become one.

And hence health care, or availability of health care starts to be a priority.

And I'm not sure that, for the time being, Isaan is the place to be for that.

You must be joking, Ubon is loaded with hozzy's, public and private dealing in anything. I have two elderly farang friends with diabetes and other stuff, that tell me their treatment is better than their homeland, and NO waiting for an appointment. :)

Myself had a boil that got out of hand, walked in a hozzy, was on the table, had it cut out all in an hour. :D

For those of us here who do not speak Klingon, can someone tell me what a "hozzy" is?

I thought I had heard all those strange, colorful European metaphors, but I have never heard that before. I assume this is a type of medical clinic? What dialect of English uses that term?

Sorry, l didn't think about the university brigade that haven't been outside much and mixing. Hozzy is a shortened version (slang) for hospital that is used in London, by some, me. Like most "slang" you must use your loaf (slang for head) a bit and fit it into the context of the sentence. Oh, never mind gregb, you'll understand eventually, probably. eeeer, perhaps not. :D

London slang???? Really???........ born and bred Londoner here and have never heard that term in my life! But i did 'use my loaf' and figure out what you meant! :D

Thanks a lot for your advice :D Only one poster advised moving to Buriram, interesting. I wonder which option carries the most and least amount of life expectancy I suspect old patters is the worst on this front but I bet you'd go out with a smile on your face! :)

All pretty logical reasons.

I think it's how far into your retirement you are,

and how much is your need for modern entertainments.

For instance movies and bands playing songs you can understand the words too.

Do you like jazz bands or just Issan Music bands and never listen anyway.

Is your need of a passable internet connection strong?

It is possible to find a large town with enough 'ammenities' to keep you happy,

and then find a simple satellite village around it for a comfey life without stress, until you want some.

If you are going to move into a life with a relatively unknown ex-bargirl,

a really well explained Prenupt would be a pre-requesit..

ie If I die violently,

said living partner/Thai wife etc gets NOTHING!

If I die of natural causes,

what I leave may or may not be substantial, but will go to them IF 'no foul play exists',

and if our relationship is good near the time of my death.

IE treat me right and you should inherit something.. but I am NOT saying what,

try to make off with it early and you get absolutely nothing...

If she balks at than kind of an agreement then you likely have got the wrong lady anyway...

If you think your deep country life is 'easier to maintain in a higher standard of living',

and your needs are met then that is right for you.

I have lived both major world class cities, and pure country and like both,

but also NEED both.

go to whereever you are happy.Isaan is a lot cheaper to live than other areas of thailand,people friendly and plenty of open spaces.Also an oppotunity to really learn thai language as i would imagine it could be pretty lonely if you dont speak thai.

Erm, you wont learn Thai inIssan; you will learn Issan. This means when you go to other parts of Thailand nobody will understand you. Thats also why they have Thai subtitles on country themed Thai movies; most Thais don't understand Issan!

Even Isaan people who choose to speak the local dialect will speak and understand Central Thai unless you limit your sphere of interaction to folks who were grown adults when the King came to the throne and have never left their village. :)

This means when you go to other parts of Thailand nobody will understand you. most Thais don't understand Issan!

Issan are not Thais'?

Of course they are Thais legally and by nationality etc, but some Thais from other regions sometimes refer to them disparagingly as Laos or Khmers, depending on where in Isaan they reside.

It's the same kind of regional thing you find in the U.S.A. or the U.K., where a person from Northumberland has a hard time understanding a Cornishman.

My wife from the lower north, Phichit area, refers (rudely) to Isaan people as Lao. Just the way it is.

Thanks a lot for your advice :D Only one poster advised moving to Buriram, interesting. I wonder which option carries the most and least amount of life expectancy I suspect old patters is the worst on this front but I bet you'd go out with a smile on your face! :D

Where in Pattaya did you visit? Central? If so, I agree...it is not a nice place to live. Head south and check it out. South of Jomtien. We spent yesterday driving around Ban Chang. A really nice place, great restaurants on the beach, mostly Thai's around there. Bang Saray is also very nice. Great beaches. And you are only 20 minutes to Pattaya, but a world away. It was a great drive yesterday...we really enjoyed it. If you are trying to decide where to live, I highly recommend checking these places out.

We plan to live in Baan Amphur for about 4-5 years, then move into the countryside after that. I am 52, so still like to listen to live music (jazz, blues) and eat at various restaurants (we are foodies!). Now if I can just keep wifey from spending too much time in Central Festival shopping! :)

Thanks for the advice, next week I'm going to go for a drive around Pattaya and south of Jomtien as you recommended. I like the idea of living in a quieter place but as much as I like Thai people I think I would still need to have some Farrang company to keep me happy that's why I

I think that you will find that although people from Issan speak with a dialect similar to that of Southern Laos, in school they are taught to write Thai and can adapt very easily and understand, and speak, spoken Thai. Besides saying that nobody outside of Issan can understand them is a bit of an oxy-moron, considering that the majority of BKK is made up of people from Issan.

Thanks for your reply. All of my experiences of Pattaya have involved staying in Central Pattaya or Jomtien, you know the kind of places where someone shouts out 'I love you same same monkey love banana' at you when you are walking down the street. Next week I plan to drive south of Jomtien and check out the area that you mention. Do you have any idea of what accomodation costs are there? I am very interested in looking as although the Buriram option seems good I think I may be happier with some Farrang for company every now and then, cost could be a factor though.

Thanks for the advice, next week I'm going to go for a drive around Pattaya and south of Jomtien as you recommended. I like the idea of living in a quieter place but as much as I like Thai people I think I would still need to have some Farrang company to keep me happy that's why I

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you find.

What's with all the fat, ugly farangs called "Bruce" with spew hanging out their mouths rocking up at the airports, train and bus stations at the moment? The girls are NOT IMPRESSED and getting out of here as quick as their Honda Dreams can carry them. At least wipe the chunder from your stubbly triple chins before you step down off the plane. Basic Isaan etiquette. :)

Hi all

lots of differing thoughts on living in Issan. I have had friends visit, who think I have lost my mind and other who wish they could walk away from their lives in the west. For me a remote village is home and they will burn my bones there. Have no wish to live anywhere else. Jim

Horses for courses, I guess.

I enjoyed living on the fringes of Pattaya for a year but I knnew that I would not stay there permanently.

I moved up to Buriram and rented somewhere for a year to get a feel of the place. I was familiar with the area because of frequent visits, but I think you have to live somewhere to begin to understand whether it suits you.

I chose it for the 'rural feel' and attitude of the local Thais. Although perfectly capable of doing so, they do not seem to set out to routinely rip you off.

I accept the argument that beer, for example, is cheaper in Pattaya than Buriram. However, key items like housing and food are noticeably cheaper in the sticks. The first house I rented (3 bed detached, in a town) was 2,500 Baht per month.

I was also able to set up a business in a double shop house for under 700k - and it was way over-spec for the area, I could have done it for half that. Rent, including 3 bed accommodation is less than my council tax in the UK.

It is not for everyone and I have seen visitors come up from Pattaya, with their teerak, go stir-crazy within 2 days. One friend vowed never to come back when he could not find a bar showing Formula 1 racing - depends what your needs are.

The good thing about rural Isaan is how quickly the city becomes the countryside. You don't have to live 80km from the nearest 7-11 to have it good. I live in a village just outside Khon Kaen with rice paddy views, buffalo cooling off in the klong and after 8pm the most noise you can hear is my aircon compressor working. Real luk thung karaoke video stuff.

But within 20 minutes or less I can be buying the largest plasma TV at Central Plaza or eating Kobe steak at the sushi bar in the Pullman hotel if I so chose..

The good thing about rural Isaan is how quickly the city becomes the countryside. You don't have to live 80km from the nearest 7-11 to have it good. I live in a village just outside Khon Kaen with rice paddy views, buffalo cooling off in the klong and after 8pm the most noise you can hear is my aircon compressor working. Real luk thung karaoke video stuff.

But within 20 minutes or less I can be buying the largest plasma TV at Central Plaza or eating Kobe steak at the sushi bar in the Pullman hotel if I so chose..

I agree that rural living gives you better 'quality' options (as long as rural living is your main objective).

I forgot to say earlier that the economics of living in the boonies allows me to enjoy numerous breaks/short holidays. This means that I can engage in sorties to Pattaya or Bangkok and take breaks in Phuket, Chiang Mai or Hua Hin. Plus overseas excursions to Bali and Langkawi.

Hozzy was clear enough for a Yank looking at it's context.

Though my fist thought was some type of bargirl... LOL

I thought he was talking about a "hussy" which is a term which designates a female as a "bad" girl.

I married to Issan girl, but no way am I going to live within Coo-ee of any of her family. We live in Chiang Mai, a nice 14 hours away.

The main disadvantage to that is that they visit regularly, often without notice, and stay and stay and stay!!! And when they finally return (with a golden handshake) they just send others to replace them. :D

Better to have them within spittin! distance! :)

I am 46 and my wife 27 we have been married now for 9 years and have a wonderful 8 year old son, we built a home in my wifes village in Sri Samrong about 20klms from Sukhothai and since building the house have purchased 30 acres of land ajoining the house. The best part of the day is sitting back on the balcony in the afternoon overlooking the fields and watching the sun set with my beautiful wife whilst sharing a nice cold Chang and good conversation and thinking how lucky and privlaged I am to have been brought into this enviroment as there is nothing better than this.

Truly hope it stays that way for you good luck.

Perfect...best of both worlds!

It is craig. I love the rural life but not to the extent of somtam for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the highlight of the week being wandering down to the one house in the village that doubles as a shop to see if they've had a delivery of Birdy Iced Coffee in. I aren't that native! :)

It is craig. I love the rural life but not to the extent of somtam for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the highlight of the week being wandering down to the one house in the village that doubles as a shop to see if they've had a delivery of Birdy Iced Coffee in. I aren't that native! :)

I do spend a bit of time in my wife's village. More now that we are here full time. I do enjoy it. But a bit too rural for me. Best described as you have said above. But even then...much better than living where I came from...I love the people there. Never been treated better in my life.

This means when you go to other parts of Thailand nobody will understand you. most Thais don't understand Issan!

Issan are not Thais'?

their families originate from laos ,

hence they use , and many want to keep the issan/laos language ..

i can speak basic thai , conversation was ok , in southern thailand .

then i met a lady from issan , moved up to udon ,

and now trying to learn their lingo ..

p.s she tells me , she is issan lady , not thai lady . :)