2010 Phuket Bike Week

CroBiker

Just received this message from event organizer:

post-68174-1269494802_thumb.jpg

Dear All Rider friends and cooperation,

We would like to invite you and your club to join and participant the 16th Annual Phuket Bike Week 2010

On April 9-13, 2010 ( Official Event ), Patong Beach, Phuket Island , Thailand

( Remark ; all 3-5 star * hotel room include ABF& bike parking )

Hotel information, Please contact to [emails removed as per forum rules to avoid spam]

Hotel photos go to www.phuketbikeweek.com

Tel 66 76 351069, Fax 66 76 261028 , Mobile 66 81 6919346, 66 86 4767831

PBW 2010 Registration For Grand Dinner

A. 1,000 Baht

- PBW 2010 Official T-Shirt ( Short sleeve size M,L,XL,XXL )

- PBW 2010 Official Grand Dinner at Thainaan Restaurant ( April 9,2010 time 18.31 pm.- 20.30 pm.)

- PBW 2010 Official Cap

- PBW 2010 Official Bandanas

- PBW 2010 Official Pin

- PBW 2010 Official Patch

- PBW 2010 Official Sticker

- PBW 2010 Border part Entry for Motorcycle Exhibition & Music beach party

- PBW 2010 big discount 10-50 % card from many company & lucky draw

B. 500 Baht

- PBW 2010 Official T-Shirt ( Short sleeve size M,L,XL,XXL )

- PBW 2010 Official Grand Dinner at Thainaan Restaurant ( April 9,2010 time 18.31 pm.- 20.30 pm.)

Free! entry to Beach Party & Motorcycle exhibition

Register only to join VIP Rider Grand Diner at Thainaan Restaurant

Please sent me your Name, Team, Country, Tel. and T-shirt Size

Schedule

Friday 9 April 2010

Time 11.00 am. - 22.00 pm. Motorcycle Exhibition at Jungceylon & Bikes Show at Loma Park Patong Beach.

Time 16.00 pm. - 18.00 pm. Bike Highway police Volunteers convoy.

Time 18.31 pm. - 20.30 pm. Ride to Grand Dinner at Thainaan restaurant,Opposite Central Festival Phuket town

Time 20.00 pm. - 24.00 pm. Rock Music festival (Pong & Pe & Jeap) Beach Party at Loma Park,Patong Beach

Saturday 10 April 2010

Time 11.00 am. - 22.00 pm. Motorcycle Exhibition at Jungceylon & Bikes Show at Loma Park Patong Beach.

Time 14.00 pm. - 17.00 pm. Bikes park for wording “PHUKET 2010” at Patong Football filed

Time 17.01 pm. - 18.30 pm. Ride and all bike show at Bangla Road, Patong Beach

Time 18.01 pm. - 19.00 pm. Grand Opening Motorcycle show at jungceylon Patong Beach

Time 19.01 am. - 20.00 pm. Bangla walkig street and Grand Opening Beach party at Loma Park, Patong Beach

Time 20.31 pm. - 24.00 pm. Country Music festival (Carabow and Mu Pongtep) & Beach Party at Loma Park, Patong

Sunday 11 April 2010

Time 14.00 pm. - 17.00 pm. Bikers Games and Global warming (plaint the tree)

Time 16.00 pm. - 18.00 pm. Ride convoy start from Patong to Karon-Kata-Nai Haan-Phomteap Cape

Time 18.31 pm. - 20.30 pm. Tattoo & Miss Phuket Bike Week 2009 at Jungceylon Patong Beach

Time 20.01 pm. - 24.00 pm Regge Music festival (Job 2 do & Tom Dundee) & Cowboy, Indian, Rake Show at Loma Park, Patong Beach

Monday 12 April 2010 Ride and easy day (Go to Island by boat & Phangnag bay & Phuket beach)

Tuesday 13 April 2010 Water festival (Thailand New Year) relax day

Sponsor Phuket Bike Week 2010

The Biggest Bike Event in Asia. Make your Product to all Riders and Tourists around the world know

More information go to http://www.phuketbikeweek.com

Thank you for cooperation

Thank you for support Phuket Bike Week 2010 and hope to see you soon.

Waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

Wittaya( Sumon) Singkalah

Phuket Bike Week 2010 Producer

Phuket Bike Week 2010 Organizer

Phuket Riders Club and HOGT

Managing Director

West Coast Ride Thailand co.,ltd.

99/10-12 Chalurm Prakeat 9 ( Bypass)

Muang Phuket Thailand 83000

Phone. 66 76 352069

Fax. 66 76 261028 Mobile 66 81 6919346 (Sumon) or 66 86 4767831 (malisa (OB))

• 2 weeks later...

I am told there is some kind of event at the Merlin Hotel in Phuket Town on the 8th and 9th which is 500 baht and you become a Highway Police Volunteer after, then there is the group ride. Anyone have detailed information on what this is and what the days of the 8th and 9th consist of? I assume the seminar is in Thai?

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I found a number and made a call and so will answer my own question.

The seminar put on by the Thai Highway Police all day Thursday and Friday at Merlin in Phuket Town is about safety and traffic laws. It is mostly in Thai but their is currently a 30% farang attendance rate therefore there will be people there to help those not fluent enough. The "volunteer" part comes in the form of a request by the THP to report road violations and such. IE they don't expect you to work checkpoints or anything, but you probably could if you wanted to. I have heard of cases where farangs are doing this in Bangkok. At the end you get a certificate and an ID card with your picture stating you are a "Highway Police Volunteer." You need to bring copies of your passport or Thai DL and a picture for the ID card. You must attend 80% of the seminar. PM me if you want the number of the farang I spoke to about it. I think he is one of the organizers.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Went to Jung Ceylon earlier today to check bike exhibition and came back very disappointed. Only Yamaha and Ducati had DISPLAY stands....nothing from Kawasaki, Triumph, BMW, KTM....not even a Harley considering entire event is based on these bikes (just look at the official logo of PBW). Even my 10 year old was unhappy, asking me "is that all dad??"

If you really want to see variety of all sorts of bikes, head to Loma Park and Patong Football Field - some top notch machines there, especially from Singapore and Malaysia.

Anyway, noticed few interesting bikes and took some pics.

MV Agusta 750, seen this one for months now in west coast riders for sale.....no buyers.

Customized ZZR 1400, imported but no papers, heard it's for sale too (circa 650k). Red plate says Teera, you know rest of the story.

Boss Hoss, same owner as ZZR 1400, imported from USA in January.

Red Harley, belongs to Thai friend of mine.

post-68174-1270926967_thumb.jpg

post-68174-1270927004_thumb.jpg

post-68174-1270927031_thumb.jpg

post-68174-1270927062_thumb.jpg

post-68174-1270927093_thumb.jpg

Some really good loking custom bikes:

the bike on the left 2 pictures was built by a guy from malaysia mr eng chin lee or better known as lee bikers..one of the top chopper builders in malaysia..he passed away a few days after this bike was finished on the 17 th october 2009...he died from heart failure aged just 38........rip

post-70166-1270929780_thumb.jpg

post-70166-1270929841_thumb.jpg

I just got back from the Sunday events and it was a total cock-up. I arrived at 2 for the parade at 4. Wandered around Jungceylon and then headed out to Loma Park. There was no one there. The English speaking announcer was reapeating how sorry they were for last nights problems (??!!?? No idea). At four o clock, when no more bikes had arrived, I asked an organiser and was told the parade had been re-scheduled to 5. At 5 still nothing, so we headed to Nickies Handlebar where abuot 15 others were milling around clueless.

I then made my own way to Laem Promthep and there were a few bikes, but nothing on last year. I just missed the photo and they didn't even have the little stunt bikes up there to look at, so we turned around and headed back to Jungceylon for the 18.30 Miss Bike Week contest. Guess what? No Miss Bike Week.

Out of the two bikes I wanted to see today (Ducati Sreetfighter S & BMW S1000RR) I did manage at least the Ducati, but overall a waste of time.

I agree completely. Every bike week is the same. It has always been very difficult to get good information, about when what and where, at least in English. Lots of vague times given and always changing. Two different "official" sources will give two different times for the same event. I ended up seeing two Ms. Phuket Bike Week contests when I expected to see none. One at the opening night diner at Thaina restaurant, then they had the thing at Hard Rock which I posted pics to above.

I don't want to take away from the efforts of a few volunteers, but the whole thing was very confusing and very poorly managed. Hopefully they can do better next year.

I didn't want to be first complaining but totaly agree with both posters above. After 16 years of PBW and no improvement in organization something surely isn't right. I can't understand why this guy Sumon has almost a monopoly on organizing such event. They can't setup simple ride, exhibition in Jung Ceylon was terrible with major motorcycle brands absent, not to mention various Miss contest where half of the contestants are chix with dix.

I would hold my breath in expectations for improvement next year as long as this character heads organization.

Not to mention outrageous claim of PBW being biggest bike event in South East Asia, please.....it's not even biggest in Thailand. Pattaya and Chiang Mai have much more to offer and improving each year. Unless things change drasticaly, Hat Yai bike event will overtake Phuket too.

On another and positive note, all bikers were friendly and courtious to each other. I haven't seen any incidents which are so common in similar events in Europe and USA. The only thing that made me chukle was Bandidos behaviour. They were all stuck in their own tent and their younger members wearing patches such as "PROBATION" and "PROSPECT" seemed to be absolutely terrified if someone from higher ranks cought them talking to members of other MC's. What is the point joining such group if you gonna live in fear and been told all the time what you can or can't do? Might as well join the army instead.

Choice of food was great, prices hiked up for special occasion but what to expect: folks wanna make money and rightly so.

Yamaha tent was giving free beer in order to attract visitors to their area. It improved slightly when 5 girls came on stage and danced to the tune of Lady GaGa and others.

This year there were lots of sport, sport-touring and adventure bikes, mainly thanks to the fact that these are quite popular in Malaysia in Singapore. Easy Rider and Chopper/Custom bikes culture is alive and well in these 2 countries but not to such extreme level as in Thailand.

Also, so much hype about Heroes End 10th anniversary. Spoke to 2 members of the club today and asked them where their prez is (whom I know) and they said he never showed up; no idea about his whereabouts. :)

And as far as today's ride for World PEace is concerned, it really sucked big time. As TV member 2 posts above said, they kept postponing the start of the ride like zillion times. We ended up at Prompthep Cape Viewpoint, took some refreshments and enjoyed in sunset and pleasant breeze. All of a sudden bikers start leaving on their own, even though we all expected to descend down to Rawai, Chalong and go back to Patong. No official explanation, nothing.....free for all. Ok, ok....group pics were taken, video cameras all over the place and friendly bunch of tourists asking to be photographed next to our bikes.

Overall, perhaps 250-300 bikes participated in group ride, much less than in previous years. Weather was great apart from this afternoon when started pouring but road turned dry in less than an hour.

Still, I'm very happy because I took my 10 year old for his very 1st organized bike ride. It means great deal to him and perhaps in 30 years he can boast to his biker friends how he mingled with other bikers at such early age.

Video 1 of 4 of the Charity Ride to Promthep Cape. It was the "Ride for Global Warming." :) I think we definitely helped global warming a bit. lol

Nearly everyone stopped to watch us go by. Good fun. Saw a few near accidents caused by people not part of the convoy. It sure is different when you get a bunch of experienced responsible riders together.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

The seminar put on by the Thai Highway Police all day Thursday and Friday at Merlin in Phuket Town is about safety and traffic laws. It is mostly in Thai but their is currently a 30% farang attendance rate therefore there will be people there to help those not fluent enough. The "volunteer" part comes in the form of a request by the THP to report road violations and such. IE they don't expect you to work checkpoints or anything, but you probably could if you wanted to. I have heard of cases where farangs are doing this in Bangkok. At the end you get a certificate and an ID card with your picture stating you are a "Highway Police Volunteer." You need to bring copies of your passport or Thai DL and a picture for the ID card. You must attend 80% of the seminar. PM me if you want the number of the farang I spoke to about it. I think he is one of the organizers.

So katabeachbum, I and another friend of mine went to this thing. After the seminar we were quite surprised when they gave us this and stickers for our bikes and cars. The highway police chief explained what privileges come with them. :) The main benefit I see to having this is I don't need to worry too much about traffic police scamming me. That plus my Platinum stuck on permanent red plates shouldn't be a problem anymore. :D

scan0001-2.jpg

scan0002-1.jpg

I asked if they could put a Ducati on my ID card instead of a Harley, but sadly they said no.

So katabeachbum, I and another friend of mine went to this thing. After the seminar we were quite surprised when they gave us this and stickers for our bikes and cars. The highway police chief explained what privileges come with them. :) The main benefit I see to having this is I don't need to worry too much about traffic police scamming me. That plus my Platinum stuck on permanent red plates shouldn't be a problem anymore. :D

scan0001-2.jpg

scan0002-1.jpg

I asked if they could put a Ducati on my ID card instead of a Harley, but sadly they said no.

Hey Scub and Cro thanks for the pics and video , that was me on the black Tmax along side you guys yesterday , i did not realise it was you guys would have introduced myself ..... as for the event it was my first Phuket event, have to agree as much as i had fun over the weekend it did need more organising , but having said that next year i will volunteer to help out maybe thats the problem not enough helpers or maybe they need some new blood after 16 years ...what you say fellas ??

Cheers again....