Two More Blasts Hit Thailand Amid Protests

george

Two more blasts hit Thailand amid protests

BANGKOK: (AFP) - Thailand said Thursday it would upgrade security measures after two more blasts hit government buildings, the latest in a string of minor attacks since anti-government protests erupted this month.

The rallies mounted by supporters of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra have been met with a heavy security deployment, including a lockdown on parliament that has triggered an opposition boycott.

Authorities said that the new blasts, which hit a provincial hall on Bangkok's northern outskirts and a government building west of the capital on Wednesday, had hit weak spots in the operation involving 50,000 personnel.

"We have to adjust our operation to curtail the attacks," Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban told reporters at parliament, adding that he had instructed officials to step up security measures.

"Intelligence reports say they want to create unrest to show that the government cannot control the situation, but I want to reassure the Thai people that the government is in control," he said.

The blasts, which follow eight other minor explosions since the protests began on March 14, caused minor damage but no injuries.

Most of the incidents have involved grenades, but police investigating the provincial hall blast said they believed it was a TNT explosive device.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Tuesday extended a tough security law enacted for the demonstrations, applying it to Bangkok and nearby districts for an additional week as the red-shirted protesters vowed fresh actions.

Opposition Puea Thai lawmakers boycotted parliament for a second day Thursday to protest tight measures including concrete and razor-wire barricades surrounding the building and thousands of soldiers and police on duty.

The president of the upper house Senate, Prasobsuk Boondej, also criticised the military presence as an over-reaction and said some senators had problems entering the building.

Abhisit, who has said the measures are aimed at preventing a repeat of the siege on parliament in 2008, rejected opposition allegations that the response was "a version of a coup."

Soldiers and police "have not come to seize legislative power, they want to ensure that we can exercise our legislative power, in fact they are protecting democracy," the premier said in parliament.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-25

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Government rules out using emergency decree despite bombings

BANGKOK: -- Thai Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Thursday expressed concerned about a series of bombings which continued to rattle some official buildings in the capital and adjacent areas, but said the situation did not warrant putting an emergency decree into force.

The deputy prime minister commented in his capacity as head of national security after minor explosions took place in the compound of Nonthaburi

provincial administration office and the Legal Execution Department in Bangkok Noi district Wednesday night. There were no injuries.

Police bomb experts defused an explosive device planted at a Bangkok Bank ATM booth in the northern province of Chiang Mai early Thursday.

The government has extended enforcement of the Internal Security Act for another week until March 30 in the capital and adjacent environs including Nonthaburi. Tens of thousands of military and police have been deployed across the city.

Mr Suthep conceded the security plan will be adjusted as the assailants have targetted Bangkok suburbs such as Nonthaburi and Thonburi where security lapses were exposed. He assured the public that the government was able to handle the situation and that applying an emergency decree was unnecessary even though security measures will be stepped up.

"I have instructed all security agencies concerned to be on alert and try to minimise the chance that perpetrators will carry attacks," Mr Suthep said.

"I don't think the situation warrants an emergency decree enforcement as police are now speeding up investigation to arrest the bombers."

The first bomb occurred at 8pm in the compound of the provincial administration office in Nonthaburi, in suburban Bangkok. The explosive was detonated 20 metres from an army checkpoint and opposite the provincial police station.

The bomb caused a hole 20 cm wide and 10 cm deep and damaged the ceiling of an electric control room. The police gathered evidence and presumed that the incident was to alarm and cause uncertainty among the public.

The second explosion occurred almost simultaneously at the Legal Execution Department in Bangkok’s Bangkhunnon area.

The police found that it was M67 grenade. Witnesses said they heard the sound of an explosion and saw two men leaving the scene on a motorcycle to Borommaratchachachonnani Road.

There is no surveillance camera installed at the location, but Chujira Kongkaew, department director-general on Thursday ordered the installation of surveillance cameras and increase of night patrol guards.

She believed the grenade attack was related to political turmoil as the department was located near Nonthaburi city hall and there was a report that prosecutors would speed up execution in the assets seizure case of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

However, she said the department has not been contacted by prosecutors on that issue. The case is still in the appeal process.

The Internal Security Act (ISA) was earlier imposed from March 11 to 23 in eight provinces in Bangkok and surrounding provinces to allow officials to

control the situation during the anti-government Red Shirt demonstration which began March 13 and has entered its second week.

Several grenade attacks occurred during the rally at key establishments including the Defence Ministry, the Public Health Ministry, the first Infantry Regiment headquarters.

The Red Shirt protest leaders denied any involvment in the attacks, blaming the government and the military for creating the situation to be used

as a pretext to impose an emergency decree.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Why is it that the government seems to know all about the intentions of the bombers but can't identify those responsible?

Why is it that security laws are being applied to achieve political objectives? Can we have some transparency here, please?

Let's call for Jack Bauer :)

Soldiers and police "have not come to seize legislative power, they want to ensure that we can exercise our legislative power, in fact they are protecting democracy," the premier said in parliament....hehe

He has to cal first for elections then.

I reckon that if I was a Muslim Extremist in southern Thailand and the Malay peninsula and my goal was secession from Thailand and the Islamification if SE Asia I would have been stashing explosives around Bangkok for the last 6 months just waiting for a moment like this. To incite civil war amongst the Buddhist ruling elite and country folk would be an ideal way to push their agenda for separation and to bring the southern population over to their way of thinking. I'm not saying this is the case but it seems that a lot of munitions and arms have gone "missing" from southern barracks over the last few years and not a lot of people are really talking about the possibility of a "third force"....

Why is it that the government seems to know all about the intentions of the bombers but can't identify those responsible?

Why is it that security laws are being applied to achieve political objectives? Can we have some transparency here, please?

John Citizen, aka Wolfie Smith. Power to the people.

Mr Citizen, the headline states, "Government rules out using emergency decree despite bombings

".

As for the government's "knowing", if you read carefully, you will see it is only reasonable speculation.

Very reasonable specualtion.

So are you saying that the Thai Government is bombing government buildings? The government is not trying to overthrow itself. It is Thaksin and his Red Shirts that are trying to overthrow the goverment. Prime Minister Abhisit was very calm, cool and collected against the Reds. No other country in the world would have allowed protestors to throw blood on government property and at the feet of soldiers without reacting violently against an act that was clearly done to provoke violence. There needs to be security measures taken to protect the government's property and the people from Thaksin's Red Shirts that will not give up as long as Thaksin calls for the violent overthrown of the present government. The Reds lost. They made themselves and Thailand look like a Third World country throughout the world. Tourism was further harmed and many poor earn their wages working for hotels - thousands of rooms cancelled just in Bkk. Yeah, the Reds really helped Thailand's economy and standing in the world didn't they?!

How is the ISA being used for political purposes? What is the government doing that lacks transparency in regards to the attacks?

The answer to that would be ......

The government is still allowing the protests and is only acting to protect the members of parliament and the functioning of parliament.Some of the reds around are quite upset that the opposition boycott of parliament yesterday failed so badly!

In allowing the peaceful protests of people that oppose the government to continue, the government is showing how fair-minded they are. That they won't play Thaksin's game shows just how smart they are.

I reckon that if I was a Muslim Extremist in southern Thailand and the Malay peninsula and my goal was secession from Thailand and the Islamification if SE Asia I would have been stashing explosives around Bangkok for the last 6 months just waiting for a moment like this. To incite civil war amongst the Buddhist ruling elite and country folk would be an ideal way to push their agenda for separation and to bring the southern population over to their way of thinking. I'm not saying this is the case but it seems that a lot of munitions and arms have gone "missing" from southern barracks over the last few years and not a lot of people are really talking about the possibility of a "third force"....

Inshallah.

IF I was a Muslim Extremist and my goal was secession, I would want to distance myself from the red/yellow political infighting. Two very seperate issues.

Edited by Harcourt

It hardly takes a rocket scientist to show that whoever is behind the bombings doesn't have the best interest of the glorious "Land 'O Thais" in mind, no matter your political affiliations.

A sensible person might be lead to believe that these bombings are to sow unrest in the population and/or discredit the current government, then again maybe not. ..

The security laws are being applied to keep the political machine that is the thai government running, NOT to achieve ANY political goal other than that.

No matter how you slice it, the Dems have a coalition which holds a clear, yet tenuous majority in government. While there are other deep questions which beg to be answered, NONE of them discount that simple fact.

One only needs to see that even with a boycott of nearly 100 "Buea Thai" (purposely misspelled to be the thai word for BORING) MP's; THREE pieces of legislation were voted on as they finally had a quorum.

If you're an enquiring mind, might I suggest reading a poster on here who I think is known as "jdinasia". He's got a pretty complete history of how the current political situation has come about.

My Thai wife is going to rally in Bangkok next weekend.

She is NOT paid for it and she bought her polo-shirt and heart-shaped rattle from her own money.

For those who cannot read: SHE IS NOT PAID FOR IT.

It hardly takes a rocket scientist to show that whoever is behind the bombings doesn't have the best interest of the glorious "Land 'O Thais" in mind, no matter your political affiliations.

A sensible person might be lead to believe that these bombings are to sow unrest in the population and/or discredit the current government, then again maybe not. ..

The security laws are being applied to keep the political machine that is the thai government running, NOT to achieve ANY political goal other than that.

No matter how you slice it, the Dems have a coalition which holds a clear, yet tenuous majority in government. While there are other deep questions which beg to be answered, NONE of them discount that simple fact.

One only needs to see that even with a boycott of nearly 100 "Buea Thai" (purposely misspelled to be the thai word for BORING) MP's; THREE pieces of legislation were voted on as they finally had a quorum.

If you're an enquiring mind, might I suggest reading a poster on here who I think is known as "jdinasia". He's got a pretty complete history of how the current political situation has come about.

Sensible words. Worth repeating.

She is NOT paid for it and she bought her polo-shirt and heart-shaped rattle from her own money.

Cool! so now we know that ONE person attending isn't paid directly!

1. I remember a story; a tarantula wanted to cross the river, and he asked a turtle to help and the turtle said no worrying about the tarantula bit, finally the tarantula convinced the turtle to help. In the middle the tarantula stung the turtle and turtle asked the tarantula why you did do this we will both die now. The tarantula responded; this is my nature and I can’t help

This is exactly what is happening with Red Shirt, they are destroying Thailand economy alone with their own well being. I guess is their nature

Excellent point and one missed by many contributors to this forum.

The political battle engulfing Thailand is not just a battle between red and yellow. Its between red, yellow and camouflaged - the colours of the Islamic extremists.

Everyone leaps to the same conclusion if there's a bomb scare or outrage somewhere in the capital and assume its down to the red shirts. The Islamists have had their own agenda for decades and its very much in their interests to keep the political temperature at boiling point.

Its not as if they have no previous in the use of explosives.

IMO most “country folk” are better Buddhists and better people than most “Buddhist ruling elite”.

The red vendors also sell Red Communist hats to complete the ensemble.

post-100697-1269499410_thumb.jpg

The little square heads are also considered a must-have.

post-100697-1269499694_thumb.jpg

My wife is short (1.44 m), but brave.

She says Mr. A. is a coward who evaded military service and is now hiding behind the military.

I think this also applies to some former American presidents.

My Thai wife said that see was going to drive her new BWM down to the Red shirt rallies and pass out whitening cream so that the Reds would finally feel better about themselves and this whole mess would finally be over :)

Excellent point and one missed by many contributors to this forum.

The political battle engulfing Thailand is not just a battle between red and yellow. Its between red, yellow and camouflaged - the colours of the Islamic extremists.

Everyone leaps to the same conclusion if there's a bomb scare or outrage somewhere in the capital and assume its down to the red shirts. The Islamists have had their own agenda for decades and its very much in their interests to keep the political temperature at boiling point.

Its not as if they have no previous in the use of explosives.

No, it's a spurious point. Albeit there is dissension from the south, the issues are completely seperate.

My wife is short (1.44 m), but brave.

She says Mr. A. is a coward who evaded military service and is now hiding behind the military.

I think this also applies to some former American presidents.

So ... your wife is short, and a apparently gullible and ill-informed? Does she have her "Thaksin, My Hero!" poster ready? Backing a group that is so against democracy is shameful, I am surprised you accept it!

When this becomes Yankvisa.com we can discuss former or current US presidents :)

Inshallah.

IF I was a Muslim Extremist and my goal was secession, I would want to distance myself from the red/yellow political infighting. Two very seperate issues.

Totally. Jihadists want people to know that it was them, just look at old sheiky-cam bin Laden. Their propaganda machine is infact their most powerful agent at this stage in their progress. When they do something they make sure you know the reason & the people who did it.

They don't want anybody to take credit from them as it will impede the global theocratic superstate they dream of. My guess, if anything they have called off a lot of stuff that may be confused with these other idiots sorry insurgents.

So are you saying that the Thai Government is bombing government buildings? The government is not trying to overthrow itself. It is Thaksin and his Red Shirts that are trying to overthrow the goverment. Prime Minister Abhisit was very calm, cool and collected against the Reds. No other country in the world would have allowed protestors to throw blood on government property and at the feet of soldiers without reacting violently against an act that was clearly done to provoke violence. There needs to be security measures taken to protect the government's property and the people from Thaksin's Red Shirts that will not give up as long as Thaksin calls for the violent overthrown of the present government. The Reds lost. They made themselves and Thailand look like a Third World country throughout the world. Tourism was further harmed and many poor earn their wages working for hotels - thousands of rooms cancelled just in Bkk. Yeah, the Reds really helped Thailand's economy and standing in the world didn't they?!

You have a short memory.

It were the yellow terrorists, who blocked the airports for weeks, who made “Thailand look like a Third World country throughout the world”.