Two More Blasts Hit Thailand Amid Protests

george

My Thai wife is going to rally in Bangkok next weekend.

She is NOT paid for it and she bought her polo-shirt and heart-shaped rattle from her own money.

For those who cannot read: SHE IS NOT PAID FOR IT.

Then, she would seem (considering the videos showing the 2000 baht payments to all the numerous protesters) to be VERY unique!

Edited by Dap

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My g/f is also short, a red-shirt, and like most of the thai population, gullible, superstitious, ill-informed and under-educated. Unfortuneately, that's the way it is.

Like the yellow shirts, I will cop flak for this; I also believe one of the weak points of democracy is "one person, 1 vote." Why should the village idiot be entitled to the same say in the governing of a country as a professor of politics? But what is the alternative? I don't claim to know, but surely it should be open to discussion. Democracy is the best political system tried so far, but surely it can be improved. It can certainly be perverted as Thaksin was attempting,

and in that case, I applaud the Army for the bloodless coup that removed him.

She is NOT paid for it and she bought her polo-shirt and heart-shaped rattle from her own money.

Cool! so now we know that ONE person attending isn't paid directly!

My wife is short (1.44 m), but brave.

She says Mr. A. is a coward who evaded military service and is now hiding behind the military.

I think this also applies to some former American presidents.

Couldn't/wouldn't argue the point ... but am searching for a relevant connection to your wife not being paid or for that matter being "1.44 m" ... but brave :)

Then, she would seem (considering the videos showing the 2000 baht payments to all the numerous protesters) to be VERY unique!

The official media take everything out of context.

Those payments were for fuel expenses per group.

Most money comes from the numerous donations of people who cannot go themselves and from the sale of shirts and other objects.

Once again, look at People’s Television and hear how many ordinary people donate small amounts, most often roi baht (THB 100).

Most money comes from the numerous donations of people who cannot go themselves and from the sale of shirts and other objects.

Once again, look at People's Television and hear how many ordinary people donate small amounts, most often roi baht (THB 100).

LOL ... then there are the 500 baht a day the rest get paid ... and Thaksin's own words straight from his mouth about the 500 baht a day payments. But you'd believe the redshirt propoganda channel and not videotape of evidence :) Yeah .... your wife doesn't have you brainwashed :D

And yes, my wife IS unique, in many regards.

She has lived in Europe, she speaks excellent English, she can cook European food and, very exceptional for Thais (both hi so and lo so), she can even use a dictionary.

DickFarang.

Do you really believe that which you write ?

Remember the old saying ? ''Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.''

The minimum wage for a worker in Bangkok is 206 baht, certainly not a handsome sum, the idea that you have that 100 baht is a small donation again shows you are either brainwashed or totally out of touch with reality.

Certainly in the northern parts of Thailand 180 baht is considered a decent days pay.

As a matter of interest are you able to tell us how much you and your wife have contributed to Thaksins Noble Cause, and are you intending to come and play to back your convictions to the hilt regarding poor discriminated against Thaksin and his stolen monies?

Whose money is it that has been stolen ? it's been STOLEN FROM THE THAI PEOPLE MY FRIEND.

Edited by siampolee

Once again, look at People's Television and hear how many ordinary people donate small amounts, most often roi baht (THB 100).

Oh, My mistake ... please excuse my assumption that the videos were actual occurances of people being paid to attend the rallies.

DickFarang.

Do you really believe that which you write ?

Remember the old saying ? ''Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.''

The minimum wage for a worker in Bangkok is 206 baht, certainly not a handsome sum, the idea that you have that 100 baht is a small donation again shows you are either brainwashed or totally out of touch with reality.

Certainly in the northern parts of Thailand 180 baht is considered a decent days pay.

As a matter of interest are you able to tell us how much you and your wife have contributed to Thaksins Noble Cause, and are you intending to come and play to back your convictions to the hilt regarding poor discriminated against Thaksin and his stolen monies?

Whose money is it that has been stolen ? it's been STOLEN FROM THE THAI PEOPLE MY FRIEND.

I have to agree that in our eyes THB 100 looks negligible, but the numerous donations by Thai people must be real sacrifices for a cause they believe in.

As when they give to temples, those people are not stingy.

My wife can spend her own money the way she prefers.

As a foreigner I am not directly involved.

And yes, my wife IS unique, in many regards.

She has lived in Europe, she speaks excellent English, she can cook European food and, very exceptional for Thais (both hi so and lo so), she can even use a dictionary.

Reply deleted as useless in light of the fact your wife cooks European food and can use a dictionary.

Although I disagree with the red shirt movement I hope your wife has a good time.

But on the point of receiving money, I would personally have told her to take it! Whether she truly supports the cause or not. Others get the money so why shouldn't she. I have always advised Thai friends whom asked me about this. If someone gives you money for these kinda things, always take it whether you support them/vote for them or not. And after that just do what you want anyway. You just need to be practical. A give away is a give away.

W

Nobody should be paid to assert his/her democratic rights.

Insofar I hear and see that does not happen here.

Dick, you may as well give up. This person evidently knows it all. I assume that most was learnt leaning over a bar in Bangkok chatting to other farangs with Bangkok Thai friends who have hardly ever seen a rice field. I wonder if jd knows that the CURRENT Deputy Prime Minister is known by most Thais to be a senior Mafia leader????

I wonder too if he knows that Thaksin actually DID help the peoples of the North and North East, and whether they received support money or not, they still have good reason to believe in him. Many of them even have University degrees now that he was able to override the revolting Thai elite for long enough. They can afford health care and their villages have found other means of making a livelihood outside of the Opium industry that FARANGS created to control Asia. Oh, I wonder what happened to Thailand's IMF debt???? Stop the BS, the power of the elite will fall in time, regardless of the attempts to corrupt truth. If not, the result is simple, 'the rich get richer and the poor get poorer'.

BTW, I would join the protests myself, if I was not threatened by the current Fascist government with a huge fine and cancellation of my work permit... !

As a newbie you should know that this forum is famous for its never ending stories about "paid" protesters.

The truth is that the protesters receive thousands of donations from all over the country to cover actual expenses for fuel and so on.

If you want some unbiased information you should not only look to state and army owned channels but also have a look at People's Television (channel 4 on Sophon; channel 20 on TMN).

LOL ---

That should just about do it then ... Now you are claiming People TV (the Red shirt channel) is unbiased? Even they don't make that claim! :)

I actually get my information from every source I can that is available to me and that does include ASTV, People's TV, the press from any source I find (yes even including NewMandala). Then I actually spend a moment to THINK about it and not just react because someone says it is so ...

(people TV --- unbiased .... :D:D:D )

One of you said:

"Nobody should be paid to assert his/her democratic rights.

Insofar I hear and see that does not happen here."

But three days ago up here in Chiang Rai people were getting 250 Baht to get on vehicles to go to Bangkok to protest with a promise of 500 Baht per day once they are there.

Dick, you may as well give up. This person evidently knows it all. I assume that most was learnt leaning over a bar in Bangkok chatting to other farangs with Bangkok Thai friends who have hardly ever seen a rice field. I wonder if jd knows that the CURRENT Deputy Prime Minister is known by most Thais to be a senior Mafia leader????

I wonder too if he knows that Thaksin actually DID help the peoples of the North and North East, and whether they received support money or not, they still have good reason to believe in him. Many of them even have University degrees now that he was able to override the revolting Thai elite for long enough. They can afford health care and their villages have found other means of making a livelihood outside of the Opium industry that FARANGS created to control Asia. Oh, I wonder what happened to Thailand's IMF debt???? Stop the BS, the power of the elite will fall in time, regardless of the attempts to corrupt truth. If not, the result is simple, 'the rich get richer and the poor get poorer'.

BTW, I would join the protests myself, if I was not threatened by the current Fascist government with a huge fine and cancellation of my work permit... !

Wow you have any evidence about your accusations? I rather doubt it (but feel free to prove your statement!)

Now to take care of the silliness ----

Healthcare -- 30 baht was in the works already, Thaksin took the idea and ran with it without working out the logistics first! Medical care suffered. The Democrats have madeit universal AND funded healthcare at a higher level.

Helping people of the North and NorthEast --- hmmm are those the only poor people in Thailand? His loans have cost many farmers their land when they could not repay them.

Education in Thailand actually suffered in Thailand under Thaksin and is being helped under the Democrats.

Opium=Farang industry? LOL That really is a very special notion you have there! Better take a look at the history and while you are at it you may want to visit the museum up there near you and have a chat with the Chinese :)

Thailand's IMF debt? hmmm Thaksin paid off that loan a bit early instead of using the money properly. The fact that Thaksin and his crew helped create the situation in 1997 and certainly benefitted from it by taking advantage of the float on the Baht .. well ....

Now that I have cleared up the older history, could you help me out with an explanation of how you would support someone that has stated his goal was NOT Democracy. Someone that when confronted with the extra-judicial murders committed under his watch was absolutely direct about it coming from him, that the UN wasn't his father etc etc etc How can you support someone that stole billions from the Thai people? How can yo support someone that has been proven corrupt?

Your notion that Thaksin Helped more than he hurt the country is laughable; and your desire to join the rally ... well ... if you feel so strongly and trust that Sae Daeng and company won't start lobbing more grenades, then stand up and be counted amongst people that believe what they say :D

BTW ... just to help you with a bit more ... I don't rely on a 98.6 degree dictionary to get my information :D

Nobody should be paid to assert his/her democratic rights.

Insofar I hear and see that does not happen here.

LOL ... then you have missed the reality that was broadcast even on People TV that you think is unbiased! not to mention Thaksin's broadcasts!

Soldiers and police "have not come to seize legislative power, they want to ensure that we can exercise our legislative power, in fact they are protecting democracy," the premier said in parliament....hehe

He has to cal first for elections then.

How many times? Abhisit was elected. Every other member of the parliament was elected. The Pheua Thai do NOT have a majority of the seats in the parliament. Therefore, by alienating the smaller parties in parliament, they allowed the Democrats to form a government in a minority coalition. This is how parliamentary democracies work, OK? If the Pheua Thai or the red-shirt want to kick the Democrats out they need to convince the smaller coalition parties to join the Pheua Thai again. You don't have elections every time some bunch of protestors takes to the streets and starts performing blood rituals. Is that what you think democracy is?

I am getting really tired of this simplistic line of reasoning that democracy=elections period. Democracy only begins with an election (we've already had that) and then continues with a responsible exercise of power which respects all elements of society that express themselves in a peaceful and responsible manner (which we certainly did not have under Thaksin).

I am really getting sick of this propaganda from Thaksin, the red-shirts, and all their brainwashed friends.

I asked Dick a few pages ago, and still no answer, so I will ask you and Dick again:

*Why* do you (and Dick's girlfriend) want to go to the protests? What does she/you think the protests are for?

I read somewhere that Thaksin paid off the IMF debt by borrowing off Singapore. Can anyone confirm that?

How DID Thaksin help the poor in the North and North East? What did he actually do in his 5 years as PM?

Was it just cash handouts, and loans that they couldn't pay back?

I don't think I have seen much posted on TV that actually explains anything good that he did, except for the 30-baht health-care ... and that apparently caused the level of care to drop.

So any information would be really useful for me to get an unbiased view of things.

Otherwise, I'll just need to keep being biased against Thaksin.

Gosh Dick! I'm really pleased that you cleared that up...I hope that she didn't use YOUR money to buy her trinkets??? Otherwise you might be accused of becoming involved in Thai politics?? :)

Why is it that the government seems to know all about the intentions of the bombers but can't identify those responsible?

Why is it that security laws are being applied to achieve political objectives? Can we have some transparency here, please?

So are you saying that the Thai Government is bombing government buildings? The government is not trying to overthrow itself. It is Thaksin and his Red Shirts that are trying to overthrow the goverment. Prime Minister Abhisit was very calm, cool and collected against the Reds. No other country in the world would have allowed protestors to throw blood on government property and at the feet of soldiers without reacting violently against an act that was clearly done to provoke violence. There needs to be security measures taken to protect the government's property and the people from Thaksin's Red Shirts that will not give up as long as Thaksin calls for the violent overthrown of the present government. The Reds lost. They made themselves and Thailand look like a Third World country throughout the world. Tourism was further harmed and many poor earn their wages working for hotels - thousands of rooms cancelled just in Bkk. Yeah, the Reds really helped Thailand's economy and standing in the world didn't they?!

Would you be willing to replace the word "red" with yellow and make the same comments about 18months ago? If not, enjoy the one sided view.

Seems ironic you mention brains not being in idle at the end of your post. Yours is clearly not even in idle. The red shirts demand democracy. They want free and fair elections with the winner being accepted as the winner. The whole political unrest in Thailand has come about because of the Democrats refusal to accept the mandate of the people.

Do a Wikipedia search of the last 5 generals elections and see who were the winners were - it wasn't the Democrats.

I don't NEED to consult wikipedia to know what has happened in Thailand. I have lived here through it and followed it closely.

You can't "demand" democracy when your party has been dissolved for electoral fraud and have any shred of credibility.

You can't "demand" democracy when your leader states unequivocally that Democracy is not his goal.

You can't demand democracy when your leader demolishes the checks and balances that hold the executive branch accountable.

You can't "demand" democracy when the current government (contrary to your belief) was elected to office the same way as the previous 2 governments. (By the members of parliament by forming a coalition!)

You can't "demand" democracy when your leadership threatens (and those threats bear fruit) violence.

Please look back at the 2007 elections and see who had the most votes (note --- in parliamentary democracy votes do not count and only seats in Parliament do!), I am guessing that you will be shocked to see that the Dems got the most votes.

Please look back in recent Thai political history and see who the independant power-brokers in Isaan and the North are and look what happened with them. The next step will require a bit of deduction from you. Now tell us why the factions that Thaksin put together deserted PTP. It certainly wasn't for the rumored 40 million baht! They knew that Thaksin had lost and decided to distance themselves.

The poor in Thailand DO deserve a voice (and are getting better and more sustainable benefits under the Democrats than they ever did under TRT/PPP), but until they get rid of the Thaksin baggage they will remain just a discredited rabble.

I don't need you to preach the government's talking points to know what has happened in Thailand. I have lived here and followed it closely.

You can't pretend you are democrats, elected and rightful government when your party is just as guilty of electoral fraud but went unpunished because of a biased, militarily altered judiciary.

You can't pretend you are democrats when your party and major supporting elements openly preached about "New Politics" and how the poor are unworthy of equal voting power.

You can't pretend you are democrats when your party eliminated ALL checks and balances and only gained power through military, judicial and violent mob rabble coups.

You can't pretend you are democrats when your party was NOT elected like any other government before it. Using military, judicial, and violent mob rabble coups to obtain power.

You can't pretend you are democrats when your party has ALREADY threatened and used violence and mob rabbles to obtain power.

The poor in Thailand do deserve a voice and until the current government concedes to holding an election at earliest possible time, they will NEVER get any fair assistance from this government.

Edited by MellowYellow

I asked Dick a few pages ago, and still no answer, so I will ask you and Dick again:

*Why* do you (and Dick's girlfriend) want to go to the protests? What does she/you think the protests are for?

I read somewhere that Thaksin paid off the IMF debt by borrowing off Singapore. Can anyone confirm that?

How DID Thaksin help the poor in the North and North East? What did he actually do in his 5 years as PM?

Was it just cash handouts, and loans that they couldn't pay back?

I don't think I have seen much posted on TV that actually explains anything good that he did, except for the 30-baht health-care ... and that apparently caused the level of care to drop.

So any information would be really useful for me to get an unbiased view of things.

Otherwise, I'll just need to keep being biased against Thaksin.

election, yellow shirt thugs ie kasit get arrested for taking over airport - terrorism, abhisit arrested for accepting illegal ivory as a gift - plain fuc_king stupid and ignorant, pad are generally racist and xenophobic, at least thaksin knew problems in thailand were due to thai people not farang or bird flu etc.... etc...

I've heard that they ran out of money anyways...

Seems ironic you mention brains not being in idle at the end of your post. Yours is clearly not even in idle. The red shirts demand democracy. They want free and fair elections with the winner being accepted as the winner. The whole political unrest in Thailand has come about because of the Democrats refusal to accept the mandate of the people.

Do a Wikipedia search of the last 5 generals elections and see who were the winners were - it wasn't the Democrats.

I don't NEED to consult wikipedia to know what has happened in Thailand. I have lived here through it and followed it closely.

You can't "demand" democracy when your party has been dissolved for electoral fraud and have any shred of credibility.

You can't "demand" democracy when your leader states unequivocally that Democracy is not his goal.

You can't demand democracy when your leader demolishes the checks and balances that hold the executive branch accountable.

You can't "demand" democracy when the current government (contrary to your belief) was elected to office the same way as the previous 2 governments. (By the members of parliament by forming a coalition!)

You can't "demand" democracy when your leadership threatens (and those threats bear fruit) violence.

Please look back at the 2007 elections and see who had the most votes (note --- in parliamentary democracy votes do not count and only seats in Parliament do!), I am guessing that you will be shocked to see that the Dems got the most votes.

Please look back in recent Thai political history and see who the independant power-brokers in Isaan and the North are and look what happened with them. The next step will require a bit of deduction from you. Now tell us why the factions that Thaksin put together deserted PTP. It certainly wasn't for the rumored 40 million baht! They knew that Thaksin had lost and decided to distance themselves.

The poor in Thailand DO deserve a voice (and are getting better and more sustainable benefits under the Democrats than they ever did under TRT/PPP), but until they get rid of the Thaksin baggage they will remain just a discredited rabble.

I don't need you to preach the government's talking points to know what has happened in Thailand. I have lived here and followed it closely.

You can't pretend you are democrats, elected and rightful government when your party is just as guilty of electoral fraud but went unpunished because of a biased, militarily altered judiciary.

You can't pretend you are democrats when your party and major supporting elements openly preached about "New Politics" and how the poor are unworthy of equal voting power.

You can't pretend you are democrats when your party eliminated ALL checks and balances and only gained power through military, judicial and violent mob rabble coups.

You can't pretend you are democrats when your party was NOT elected like any other government before it. Using military, judicial, and violent mob rabble coups to obtain power.

You can't pretend you are democrats when your party has ALREADY threatened and used violence and mob rabbles to obtain power.

The poor in Thailand do deserve a voice and until the current government concedes to holding an election at earliest possible time, they will NEVER get any fair assistance from this government.

However, you can pretend that you are not a Thaksin apologist.

Readers note that there is not one economic demand voiced by the red apologists except for wishy-washy references about the poor.

It is only about Thaksin. He is the poor one.

Everything else is window-dressing.

However, you can pretend that you are not a Thaksin apologist.

Readers note that there is not one economic demand voiced by the red apologists except for wishy-washy references about the poor.

It is only about Thaksin. He is the poor one.

Everything else is window-dressing.

Carry on with your strawman arguments.

Carry on delivering them in a condescending tone.

Nothing else can be seen from your replies.

I wonder, noting the theme of this thread, how many more Saturdays it will take before the reds realise that their new-found peacefulness is not getting them anywhere.

Bangkok residents will be worried about this..

They remember the reds attacking them with baseball bats last Songkran

The forum Thaksin apologists without exception refuse to acknowledge the red violence last Songkran.

Including you.

Edited by yoshiwara

OK. I've read through the whole lot of this to the end of about 3 pages.

One thing that you haven't said is ** why she is going **.

She obviously believes something about the red shirt protests. What is it?

Is it for the poor? Is it for Thaksin? Does she think Thaksin is good for the poor?

And ... what do you think? Do you think she should go? Do you think she is right?

Having some of these opinions of her and you would help us understand why she is going to the protests.

I have another question. Why did she wait so long?

I wonder, noting the theme of this thread, how many more Saturdays it will take before the reds realise that their new-found peacefulness is not getting them anywhere.

Bangkok residents will be worried about this..

They remember the reds attacking them with baseball bats last Songkran

The forum Thaksin apologists without exception refuse to acknowledge the red violence last Songkran.

Including you.

How about you look up "strawman argument." Study it. Then come back.

OR you can continue baselessly flaming me, labeling me and accusing me of whatever your mind wants to make up.

Perhaps I'll join in........

From your posts it is clear to me that you hate (in no particular order) freedom, kittens, free hot dogs, BBQ, and small children.

There, those baseless accusations make as much sense as any of the stuff you're pumping out.

Edited by MellowYellow

would you care to explain?

my guess is that you don't understand the voting system in thailand.

I dont believe there will be many others like her doing it for free!