Map Ta Phut, Rayong Power Station Project

Does anyone in the Energy/Construction business know anything about the BLCP Power Station project in Rayong that has just started up?

This is a major project (US$1.3 Billion) and I am sure it will need expat engineers. However, it is difficult to find any meaningful recruitment info. & I don't want to contact the MD of China Light & Power (one of the JV partners) just yet.

I really don't think that they will need to many expat people,look at the 3 gorges dam project,and I would imagine that they staffed that with their own engrs.and if not,I don't think I would work for the kind of wages that they will be willing to pay,I haven't worked foreign in a good number of years,but it seems to me that american labor has priced itself out of the labor mkt. the last jobs I was on,is because the contracting people insisted on american upper supervision or we wouldn't have been there then.

The brits were working for a lot less per month or hour than we would work for,so why not hire them if they can do the work to specs.

Thanks Guys.

###### - I have no need to jump straight in to the MD for several reasons

(i) he is unlikely to be the man who does the hiring

(ii) I don't want to waste his (or anyone's) time with speculative applications/enquiries..if I wanted a job badly enough then obviously I would make the effort.

(iii) I am currently under contract on another job & I have no need to chase this job urgently - I will be in Pattaya at Xmas so will pop down to see the job for myself & assess the situation then if I can not get any info. beforehand.

KevinN

I am a Brit so I understand the salary discrepancies between us & you. I have been fortunate in my overseas jobs to work for companies where the differential was not so great. The reason I am interested in this job is that I have "bang-on-the -button" experience having just finished an similar (identical, maybe) scheme in The Philippines a couple of years ago for a US Power Co. based in Hong Kong.

I am aware of my market worth & I know that people are queuing up to work in Thailand. I just feel that I have exactly the kind of experience that these people may need. However, I am not prepared to sell myself short just because Thailand is a fun place to live. There is plenty of work around the world for a single guy like myself with no ties.

Thanks for your comments.

DS,

Going through the MD is the ONLY way to find a well paid job in thailand. Don't waist your time on thai HR managers. They are just seeing you so they can't be accused by their Farang boss of treating people unfairly.

In fact they will never hire you. so go talk to the man in charge.

Bart

Zen

Thanks for the advice I will bear it in mind should I ever find myself being put through to a Thai HR Guy.

On a job of this size the most influential person in terms of being offered a job is Engineering or Project Manager. This is the bloke at the sharp end of the stick..he will be the man who does any interviewing & he will be the man who has the most important say on the matter.

This is a big job & I would expect this man to be an Expat, particularly if the Asian Development Bank contribute to the financing as is being considered.

As I have stated, if I have no luck in obtaining any contact names through a preliminary enquiry then I will visit the site in early Jan. to speak to the Project/Construction Manager at the site. Only after I have done that will I consider whether to contact the MD.

I am currently working in Taiwan & my contract is up for renewal in July 2004 so I have plenty of time. It is my intention to complete my current contract. Crossing I's & dotting T's on new contracts can take a couple of months, hence my desire to set the ball rolling on this Rayong project.

Cheers Guys, it's always enjoyable to get other people's perspective on issues.

Hi DS,

I'm actually looking for an ###### job now for three and a half months. Altough i had several interviews nothing has come out of it yet.

I find it very difficult here. Thais just don't want to hire you because they lose face when they get an applicant who knows more then them.

Go straight to the farang Manager. He will surely be able to use other farang in high positions because the thai are actually not that good in them.

Mind you, don't get your hopes up. I send 150 application letters now and only got reply's on 6.

By the way, if they need an ###### let me know :o

instro techs, electrical techs and mechanical blokes with oil/gas experience interested in doing commissioning for three months in pattaya...please drop me an email to [email protected]

no resume.. just a note to say you are interested and a quick background,

the australian labour hire company I work with rang me today and asked me If I knew of any blokes on the ground here in thailand.. so I thought I might put up a post

I actually have the contcat details of the people recruiting for this project. As you so pointed out they need expat engineers for the and contrary to a few replies here they are paying expat salaries. UNfortunately, they filled their quota last month and for the foreseeable future they are staying that way.

If I hear anything different I will let everyone know (after I have my interview though) :o

• 5 years later...
I really don't think that they will need to many expat people,look at the 3 gorges dam project,and I would imagine that they staffed that with their own engrs.and if not,I don't think I would work for the kind of wages that they will be willing to pay,I haven't worked foreign in a good number of years,but it seems to me that american labor has priced itself out of the labor mkt. the last jobs I was on,is because the contracting people insisted on american upper supervision or we wouldn't have been there then.

The brits were working for a lot less per month or hour than we would work for,so why not hire them if they can do the work to specs.

Kev , I am looking for engineers and professionals from Power and Infrastructure fields, if any suggestions or references you can make would be great. Just mail me on [email protected].

The openings are plenty and to be based here in Thailand, all are permanent job positions, salary will be the best as per industry standards. Thanks and regards.

I actually have the contcat details of the people recruiting for this project. As you so pointed out they need expat engineers for the and contrary to a few replies here they are paying expat salaries. UNfortunately, they filled their quota last month and for the foreseeable future they are staying that way.

If I hear anything different I will let everyone know (after I have my interview though) :)

Dear Manfromoz, I am looking for engineers and professionals from Power and Infrastructure fields, if any suggestions or references you can make would be great. Just mail me on [email protected].

The openings are plenty and to be based here in Thailand, all are permanent job positions, salary will be the best as per industry standards. Thanks and regards.

Hi DS,

I'm actually looking for an ###### job now for three and a half months. Altough i had several interviews nothing has come out of it yet.

I find it very difficult here. Thais just don't want to hire you because they lose face when they get an applicant who knows more then them.

Go straight to the farang Manager. He will surely be able to use other farang in high positions because the thai are actually not that good in them.

Mind you, don't get your hopes up. I send 150 application letters now and only got reply's on 6.

By the way, if they need an ###### let me know :)

Dear Zen, I am looking for engineers and professionals from Power and Infrastructure fields, if any suggestions or references you can make would be great. Just mail me on [email protected].

Does anyone in the Energy/Construction business know anything about the BLCP Power Station project in Rayong that has just started up?

This is a major project (US$1.3 Billion) and I am sure it will need expat engineers. However, it is difficult to find any meaningful recruitment info. & I don't want to contact the MD of China Light & Power (one of the JV partners) just yet.

Hi, I am looking for engineers and professionals from Power and Infrastructure fields, if any suggestions or references you can make would be great. Just mail me on [email protected].

DS,

Going through the MD is the ONLY way to find a well paid job in thailand. Don't waist your time on thai HR managers. They are just seeing you so they can't be accused by their Farang boss of treating people unfairly.

In fact they will never hire you. so go talk to the man in charge.

Bart

Bart..... absolute <deleted>....

manfromoz has got it right me thinks....

Generally once a project has become common knowelege its too late...postions are already filled, as in most projects its not waht you know its who you know...one person may get in on something, once a new position is open its passed around all that persons contacts first...at least thats how it works in O&G

This thread is also 6 years old....

:):D ....good pick up Samran...never even noticed...fukc me do I feel silly ??...how the h*ll did that bumped back to the top ??

Because Sprinter2008 just posted that he's looking to recruit expats for a Power / Infrastructure Project.

Possibly Gulf JP?