Gas Stove Modifcation

johnoko

I have brought over a gas stove from Europe were it was connected to the mains. but since they used gas canisters to cook here in Thailand the stove needs to be modified so it can be hooked up to a gas canisters. Does anyone have a number of a company which can modify my stove and what will the cost be of such a modification

Edited by johnoko

I don't have a recommendation but be super careful and don't assume any of the people selling or servicing gas appliances here have the first idea about what they are doing. The level of expertise seems about on a par with electricians and vehicle safety inspectors....i.e. about zero.

I recently had to argue with a guy in a shop who insisted that I needed a high pressure tap fitting for my two ring cooker in the face of the instructions (in Thai) and a huge warning sticker affixed to the product which I'd taken with me. Finally, on seeing the appliance he admitted defeat and told me they were out of stock of the right one. Mystery solved.

A visit to another supplier sorted the issue but my wife (and I bet many other locals would do the same) had been in "mai pen rai - he's the expert" mode so had I not been playing the akward farang the ending may not have been so happy.

Good luck with your stove - it's worth all the hassle just to have a decent oven. :)

Edited by Greenside

You will need to make sure the jets in the stove are correct for LPG gas, if you stove was running on town gas or natural gas (Mostly Methane) the jets will be larger and running the LPG gas in bottles in Thailand will be very dangerous. You may want to contact the stove manufacturer to be sure.

• Like 1

I do not know about Europe, but in North America most gas appliances only require a smaller jet if running propane instead of natural gas. The advice to contact the manufacturer is the best, as they can supply the needed jet. Or if not the jet, than the size of the orifice. With this info it is a simple matter to modify the one you have to decrease its size.

The mind boggles :) You paid to have shipped over a stove that will not work ? Did you not do any research at all before you came ? A brand new oven costs around 6-7000 baht so why would you bother ? The same type of mentality in action as shipping over then asking asking whether their SKY receiver and dish will work

• 4 weeks later...

The actual work is rather easy if you have proper orifices to replace the ones in unit

In the US natural gas is used in your appliances at 3.5" water column while LPG operates at 11". It's easy enough to drill out a LPG appliance with the proper drill kit to operate on natural. However to operate on LPG your orifices will need to be replaced as they are too big to utilize, too much gas will pass through.

Contact your manufacturer and purchase the proper orifices

Edited by mogoso
  • Haha 1