British Couple Murdered: Verdict Tomorrow

george

British Couple Murdered: Verdict Tomorrow

BANGKOK: -- Photographs contradicting a Thai policeman’s testimony that he didn’t know the young British tourist couple he is charged with murdering are likely to be a crucial factor in the trial verdict, expected tomorrow, a lawyer for the victims said.

Sgt Somchai Visetsingha is accused in the September 9 deaths of Britons Adam Lloyd, 25, and Vanessa Arscott, 24, in the tourist town of Kanchanaburi, 70 miles west of Bangkok.

Witnesses said the incident began with a post-midnight argument between Lloyd and Somchai in a restaurant in Kanchanaburi.

In his original account – which Somchai later said was given under duress – the policeman said he drew his pistol and shot Lloyd in a fit of fury after the Briton spat in his face during an argument, but that he had not intended to kill Arscott, whom he unwittingly hit with his car as she tried to stop him from fleeing. He said he stopped his car and shot her in a panic.

That was the version he gave to police and the press after surrendering to authorities on October 7 after a month-long manhunt.

He later pleaded innocent in court, where he changed his testimony about his actions, claiming he did not kill the two tourists.

The change came after the court retained murder charges against Somchai – which carry the death penalty – rather than reducing the charges to non-capital crimes as Somchai had sought.

In his new version given in court testimony, Somchai claimed that one of his criminal informants – he worked in the local drug squad – had carried out the killings against his wishes. He was unable to identify the man except by a pseudonym.

The photos, which came from Arscott’s camera and were turned over to her parents, show the policeman kissing her on the cheek and playfully joking with the couple.

The pictures, which were also published in the Sunday online edition of the British tabloid News of the World, are important evidence because they contradict Somchai’s account that he was not acquainted with the couple before Lloyd allegedly struck him. That would discredit Somchai’s testimony.

“That picture (of Somchai kissing Vanessa) was presented in court,” Sanhawit Saimala, a lawyer for the families of Arscott and Lloyd, said Tuesday. “I believe that it should be enough for the court to find that he is guilty.”

Somchai’s lawyer, Sukawi Saengpao, declined to comment on the case, saying only that it is in the court’s hands. He said Somchai’s wife and family would be at the hearing.

Arscott’s family also was expected to attend.

Corruption is widespread in Thai society and especially in the police force. Officers who commit crimes often go unpunished or receive only light punishment.

--scotsman.com 2005-05-25

Awaiting the verdict with interest... :D

Corruption is widespread in Thai society and especially in the police force. Officers who commit crimes often go unpunished or receive only light punishment.

--scotsman.com 2005-05-25

You would never see that printed in a Thai tabloid! :o

what i think -

if innocent, LOS won't be safe for farangs anymore as any Thai (or shall i say, uniformed thai) are given the "green light" to shoot and kill any farang(s) if they think that farang(s) have made them lost their face.

and if that happens, every tourist coming to LOS would be adviced to signed a will as they might not be coming back to their own country alive. :o

Explorer :D

The photos, which came from Arscott’s camera and were turned over to her parents, show the policeman kissing her on the cheek and playfully joking with the couple.

This is pretty significant evidence. The boyfriend getting angry enough to fight, and the girl running out of the restaurant never made much sense unless Somchai had been flirting with her and gone too far. The pathetic attempt to imply the girl was in a relationship with the cop seemed to point to a drunken, ego-driven flirtation gone wrong. Anyway, we'll find out what the court thinks soon.

Then there will be the endless appeal process while the perp is out on bail...

As always in Thailand a case flitters from one lie to the next when it involves a policeman in the wrong. However it is unusual that the policeman is even brought before the courts as many people would have not come forward to give his name in fear of reprecussions.

When will Thailand learn that these cases bring International attention.

if innocent, LOS won't be safe for farangs anymore as any Thai (or shall i say, uniformed thai) are given the "green light" to shoot and kill any farang(s) if they think that farang(s) have made them lost their face.

Actually, that's pretty much the situation for any Thai who gets in the way of uniformed or influential people. The trick is to stay away from them.

and if that happens, every tourist coming to LOS would be adviced to signed a will as they might not be coming back to their own country alive.  :o

Fortunately, not many tourists end up drinking with cops. And hopefully, publicity from this case will convince more tourists that it isn't wise to be drinking and getting pally with Thai males who are strangers.

Curiously, aren't most murder cases the state vs. the defendent (with a civil case following later on)? How is this case already in the "family of the victims" vs. the defendent stage? Or is the above article inaccurate in that regard?

I hope they make an example of this murderer. I agree with most written above.

I hope the family get the justice they deserve.

If found guilty of murder, the sentence would carry the death penalty. Just think of the headlines...."Thai policeman sentenced to death for murder"

What a wonderful precedent to set for other aspiring "boys in brown" however, as we all know, this is Thailand and the case will be appealed through every court in the realm till it becomes so stale that it will slide into oblivion.

I will be waiting for tomorrow's verdicy with interest :o

Shocking reminder not to lose your cool in a country like this.

I agree it is bad form to lose ones temper anywhere but it does not call for a sentance of death for a first offence.

Anyway how do we know tempers were lost only got one side of the argument the others involved are unfortunately dead.

I agree it is bad form to lose ones temper anywhere but it does not call for a sentance of death for a first offence.

Anyway how do we know tempers were lost only got one side of the argument the others involved are unfortunately dead.

First offense was a cold blooded murder of 2 people. Are you suggesting that as it is the first 2 foreign people he has shot plus run over in the womans case, that he get a lighter sentance?

First offense was a cold blooded murder of 2 people. Are you suggesting that as it is the first 2 foreign people he has shot plus run over in the womans case, that he get a lighter sentance?

I think the death sentence would be extreme, however, it may be the only sentence that would be 'served'.

25 years would likely translate to 4-5 years, until the international attention had died down.

I fear the latter may be the eventual outcome here. :o

I'll be there tomorrow along with most of the Kan expats....

Been following this with great interest from day 1. This bloke is the lowest form of low, still sitting in his bar, where he shot the two backpackers, still sipping his whiskey with his other bent, corrupt mates...!

Only in Thailand!

FRY THE B***ARD!

You prefer to wait until he kills again?

Personally I'm against the death sentence on principle. Simply because there are too many people on death row who shouldn't be there because they had no money for a decent lawyer, and the police had decided they'd caught the right person.

(Just look at how many people on death row have been pardoned in the States because DNA fingerprinting came along and proved they weren't the guilty party).

However I have no issues whatsoever with a person getting an extremely long prison term for a violent first offence. i.e. 30 years for each murder, served consecutively...

Am I the only one who read Maerim's quote differently? I took this as meaning it was the British couple (or the male Brit) who lost their cool, and that the "sentence of death for a first offence" referred to them being killed by the Policeman. (ie the first offence was the 2 Brits unfortunately getting into an argument or such with the bobby, who subsequently killed them - death sentence for 1st offence)

Whereas most others seemed to think that Maerim's post was somehow exonerating the policeman as making a first offence, and suggesting he not get the death penalty.

I did not think mearim was suggesting the cop was being treated, or would be treated harshly by getting a death sentence, rather he was not saying it was the cop's first offence/death sentence at all.....

maerim - can you clarify the context of your post please?

Edited by SeaVisionBurma

Which was the first offence you moron him or her?

It because of the "corrupt" police force in Thailand that the Brits and Australians set up their own

offices in Bangkok to look for people traffickers and stop Brits partaking in under age sex.

Am I the only one who read Maerim's quote differently? I took this as meaning it was the British couple (or the male Brit) who lost their cool, and that the "sentence of death for a first offence" referred to them being killed by the Policeman. (ie the first offence was the 2 Brits unfortunately getting into an argument or such with the bobby, who subsequently killed them - death sentence for 1st offence)

Whereas most others seemed to think that Maerim's post was somehow exonerating the policeman as making a first offence, and suggesting he not get the death penalty.

I did not think mearim was suggesting the cop was being treated, or would be treated harshly by getting a death sentence, rather he was not saying it was the cop's first offence/death sentence at all.....

maerim - can you clarify the context of your post please?

Who says the guy never lost his temper before, You can`t call losing your temper a first offence. An offence is a criminal act.

Which was the first offence you moron him or her?

At least the copper got a trial,more than you can say for the 2000 odd ALLEGED drug runners did.

I'll be there tomorrow along with most of the Kan expats....

Been following this with great interest from day 1. This bloke is the lowest form of low, still sitting in his bar, where he shot the two backpackers, still sipping his whiskey with his other bent, corrupt mates...!

Only in Thailand!

FRY THE B***ARD!

What's the name of the bar?

I for one don't care what happens to him, I meant the death sentence for the two unfortunate people who got murdered who according to one version of events

"insulted" him.

As there are no witnesess's to the event who do you believe?

Edited by maerim