Watch Out For Kiwi Journos

MongerSEA

I'd say that for those of you who frequent the bar scene & have no problem doing so, then her report nor her investigation shouldn't cause you any concern.

Well said. No reason to be upset about the report unless you're ashamed or embarrassed of what you're doing.

Unless ocourse you are misquoted and taken out of context or the filming is cut in such a way as to make someone look bad....nonothing to concern yourself with. I mean, it's not as if they are trying to sell a story is it?

Wise up please :)

I agree. Can you imagine if they wanted to film people walking in and out of a sex change clinic. Would these principles the previous two posters proclaim still stand up?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that a lot of people don't realise that prostitution is actually illegal here.

am sure you are right.Thats my point really,that it is endemic throughout thai society in one way or another and the fact that it is illegal by law is plain silly.

So because "everybody's doing it," they should just make it legal? How about if everyone starts using or tolerating heroin? How about if everyone starts physically assaulting each other when they're angry? Would it be "silly" that those things are illegal? Would you propose to make those things legal just to make life easier for the people that are already doing them?

Maybe what's "plain silly" is that things that ARE illegal are not actually enforced.

I'd say that for those of you who frequent the bar scene & have no problem doing so, then her report nor her investigation shouldn't cause you any concern.

Well said. No reason to be upset about the report unless you're ashamed or embarrassed of what you're doing.

Unless ocourse you are misquoted and taken out of context or the filming is cut in such a way as to make someone look bad....nonothing to concern yourself with. I mean, it's not as if they are trying to sell a story is it?

Wise up please :)

I agree. Can you imagine if they wanted to film people walking in and out of a sex change clinic. Would these principles the previous two posters proclaim still stand up?

Are sex changes illegal in Thailand?

Just give them the single finger salute and tell them to feel free to use it in their documentary. It's not like you have to be polite to someone taking pictures of you without your consent.

so then as I said, if you frequent sex bars & have no problem doing so then these people shouldn't concern you. :)

It's about privacy Boo. Nothing else.

Anyways I hope I see them tonight. Will give her a 1on1 interview about how nosy sensationalist journo's from Kiwi land and elsewhere should go back home and deal with the issue of the prostitution trade on their own streets.

She should have came last month before Big Dave the Kiwi sold off Soi 8 pub. I recon he would make a great interview.

I think that a lot of people don't realise that prostitution is actually illegal here.

am sure you are right.Thats my point really,that it is endemic throughout thai society in one way or another and the fact that it is illegal by law is plain silly.These foreign TV crews are sent out of boredom and to raise their ratings,they know their viewers will love it,they sit back and tut tut at how decadent other countries are compared to their own and it will make them feel good and they can forget about all the incestuous relationships and pedophiles lurking in every suburb.

I agree with Boo, above, if you frequent such places you cannot reasonably expect a right to privacy unless your in one of the club/resort style establishments.

I have no problem with investigative journalists doing stories on their fellow nationals in another country. This is very normal in journalism. What I do have a problem with is the expectation that this will be yet another easy misleading story by a foreign news crew which will always run well back home.

I say misleading as I am yet to see any western news report do a more comprehensive analysis of the whole sex industry in Thailand by focusing on the 90% of the industry which serves Thais and then examining the industry in a larger social-economic, cultural and historical context. Or even looking at the amount of trafficked women into thailand from Burma, Laos, Cambodia etc who serve Thais.

Even the Japanese would be a larger percentage of the industry than nearly all westerners combined but we never see stories focusing on the Japanese segement of the industry by the mainstream press.

And anyone suggesting that those working in the industry dont suffer harm is just being delusional, should do a reality check and do a bit of reading. That does not suggest that all who work in the farang part of the industry don't have some choice but harm is done for all sex workers in one way or another and those partaking should be man enough to acknowledge such a fact.

Edited by Lakegeneve

Personally, i think she sold her news editor a bill of goods.

Hey boss, I have a great idea for a story....

(don't tell him I will spend 3 days in the spa and only one day shooting - sure beats the Kiwi weather at the moment).

Just noticed 'monger' is advising people to grab their camera equipment which is pretty stupid, taking photo's aint illegal but running a brothel is, and most bars are just that. I'd love to see such a film before condemning it outright.

Bars are not brothels and they are not illegal. The verbal contract you enter with the girl is outside the bars control and does not concern them.

Taking pictures of individuals without their consent or on private property with clear signs of 'filming not allowed' up can be illegal depending on the state your are in.

Working here without work permit is illegal.

Just noticed 'monger' is advising people to grab their camera equipment which is pretty stupid, taking photo's aint illegal but running a brothel is, and most bars are just that. I'd love to see such a film before condemning it outright.

Bars are not brothels and they are not illegal. The verbal contract you enter with the girl is outside the bars control and does not concern them.

Taking pictures of individuals without their consent or on private property with clear signs of 'filming not allowed' up can be illegal depending on the state your are in.

And when one thinks of certain peoples of official ranks with vested interests in said establishments, hope they bring their bail money with them. :)

so then as I said, if you frequent sex bars & have no problem doing so then these people shouldn't concern you. :)

No Boo, a simplification and way off the mark. However, i would love to give an interview :D

Edited by carmine

Nonsense and a typical response by people that support fascist agendas in other areas (government surveillance etc).

It is not always in regards to the patrons, but due to the stigma around the work the girls, patrons relatives and girls relatives etc are also going to be victim if a documentary is done in a skewed fashion.

Nonsense and a typical response by people that support fascist agendas in other areas (government surveillance etc).

It is not always in regards to the patrons, but due to the stigma around the work the girls, patrons relatives and girls relatives etc are also going to be victim if a documentary is done in a skewed fashion.

I was going to carry on with this but i think your last two posts have said enough. You, atleast do know what you are talking about :)

The verbal contract you enter with the girl is outside the bars control and does not concern them.

What is the purpose of a bar fine? :)

They will tell you that it is to compensate the bar for removing a working employee from the establishment.

Nothing to do with encouraging sex nor prostitution, no siirreee, nothing to do with that at all.

The verbal contract you enter with the girl is outside the bars control and does not concern them.

They will tell you that it is to compensate the bar for removing a working employee from the establishment.

Nothing to do with encouraging sex nor prostitution, no siirreee, nothing to do with that at all.

Legally it is as your first sentence say. What you and the girl do after that is up to you.

Actually, I know of many cases where guys/men have bar fined the girls and not gone and engaged in any sexual activity afterward.

Legally it is as your first sentence say. What you and the girl do after that is up to you.

Actually, I know of many cases where guys/men have bar fined the girls and not gone and engaged in any sexual activity afterward.

Come on mate.

I am trying to keep within forum rules here but it is blatantly obvious to everybody what goes on, trying to smooth over it with 'technicalities' doesn't change the nature of those businesses.

Oh ok no problem then...glad to hear I'm not committing any crime. :D

Quote:TAWP

True, but it`s similar to the massage parlours in the UK, that are fronts for brothels.

It is fully known what the bar fine is for. It is permission from the bar owner to take the girl out for sex.

So in fact when this fee is paid to the bar, the owner is taking his share for the girls service and that`s living off of immoral earnings, which is illegal.

These places are simply no more than drinking and sex establishments.

It's an issue of privacy though isn't it?

You might frequent the beach and have no problem doing so, it doesn't mean you want to be secretly filmed taking a swim by someone with a hidden camera in their bag and then have it shown to the world on TV.

I don't believe it's illegal to sit in these bars and have a beer is it?

It's not a matter of privacy at all, that's just an excuse.

I never see anybody complaining about people or even a film crew walking down the beach with camera's, for example. And what if it was a film crew filming in one of the Irish pubs or a restaurant for example, would the reaction be the same?

NO!

Quote:TAWP

True, but it`s similar to the massage parlours in the UK, that are fronts for brothels.

It is fully known what the bar fine is for. It is permission from the bar owner to take the girl out for sex.

So in fact when this fee is paid to the bar, the owner is taking his share for the girls service and that`s living off of immoral earnings, which is illegal.

These places are simply no more than drinking and sex establishments.

Ya don't say :)

I never see anybody complaining about people or even a film crew walking down the beach with camera's, for example. And what if it was a film crew filming in one of the Irish pubs or a restaurant for example, would the reaction be the same?

NO!

For me, my reaction would absolutely be the same. This argument that if you're doing nothing wrong then you can be filmed all day long is <deleted> in my opinion. If someone approached me and took my photo while I was having a meal in a restaurant without asking me then I would strongly object. I would certainly object to being covertly filmed while on the beach or anywhere else and then shown on TV without my consent. As I suspect you would.

No, it is a payment to the club fore removing one of their dancers from the establishment. Ofcourse they know what you in many cases might end up doing, but that is outside the scope of the venue.

If they really wanted to go undercover, visit the soapy massage places where the price-lists are upfront and everything is happening within the establishment. Now They are clearly in breach of the law. Go go's and beer bars in most cases are not.

NO!

For me, my reaction would absolutely be the same. This argument that if you're doing nothing wrong then you can be filmed all day long is <deleted> in my opinion. If someone approached me and took my photo while I was having a meal in a restaurant without asking me then I would strongly object. I would certainly object to being covertly filmed while on the beach or anywhere else and then shown on TV without my consent. As I suspect you would.

Absolutely.

It is the same argument when people think it should be alright for the police to put up cameras everywhere in the public space. Often with the lines 'to stop crime' (not proven to stop it, only to possibly help solving the crime after the fact) and 'if you got nothing to hide you should have nothing against it'. And that is pure bull.

The majority of the abuse against women happen in the private home. A great deal inside the walls of the bedroom. Are you ok with the police putting up cameras in your home, including your bedroom? If not, do you have something to hide? "Are you a wife abuser?"

What do you say Moonrakers, is it ok?

It's a little unfair making uncalled for comments about the appearance, sexual persuasion or personal habits of someone who may, if given a choice, prefer to be somewhere else doing fun things with friend's and/or family.

But, I am not here to defend her. Just point out the possible!

We all are at sometime slaves to money. Like many of us who are slaves to money (a pay cheque), rocking the boat is the last thing we want to do! So you do what you are asked.......right?