March Thailand Tourists Figures Tumble

webfact

SAFETY FEAR

March tourists figures tumble

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The number of international visitors fell 20-30 per cent from March 1-24, due to the ongoing political uncertainty and street demonstrations, the Association of Thai Travel Agents said yesterday.

President Surapol Sritrakul said the number of arrivals at Suvarnabhumi Airport had fallen from 80,000-90,000 a day in January and February to 70,000 a day this month.

The number of tourists using the services of ATTA members has dropped from 8,000 a day in the first two months of this year to 6,000 a day this month.

However, the number of foreign tourists in the first quarter of this year is estimated to be 700,859, a substantial increase over the figure of 431,020 in the same period last year, when visitors stayed away due to the closure of Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports in late 2008.

Surapol said visitors from key markets like China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea had cancelled holiday plans in Thailand this month, in order to avoid expected violence in Bangkok.

Surprisingly, there have been few cancellations from Japan, whose citizens are usually very sensitive to safety, he said.

European tourists, particularly from Germany and Eastern Europe, have signalled they will proceed with their holidays in Thailand this year.

"Inbound tourism in the first three months has been very positive overall, but operators are now worrying about prolonged political problems.

We'll be in trouble if the situation is not solved within a short time," Surapol said.

To maintain bookings, the ATTA has advised its members to reroute tour itineraries, skipping Bangkok and going directly to other destinations, such as Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, Phuket, Krabi, Koh Samui and Chiang Mai.

The ATTA believes Thailand will likely lose huge numbers of tourists from China and fellow Asean members for next month's Songkran festival.

"It really depends on our political situation," Surapol said.

The political unrest has led the ATTA and tour operators to believe it will not be easy to reach the official target of 15.5 million visitors this year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Who knows if these figures are correct or not?

Could be just government spin yet again.

In any case, why the fuss?

The same happened when the yellows took over the airport, and nothing was said.

A large pinch of salt is required when reading these figures.

Although the figure may or not be true, i can tell you my business dropped by 20% since Red Shirt fiasco. It was bad when the airport closed too

it was great Dec through Feb. but as usual nothing make sense over here. Stupid action by people to destroy the economy health. i guess the Rich behind all these don’t really care about the common people, i will never put any more money in Thailand.

True, and the yellows occupation of the airport impacted a lot more on the tourist industry than these latest demonstrations. The fact that many European currencies are also having a rough time is another factor in the decline in tourism. With exchange rates being what they are, some of the shine of a holiday in Thailand has been rubbed off.

<quote>

However, the number of foreign tourists in the first quarter of this year is estimated to be 700,859, a substantial increase over the figure of 431,020 in the same period last year, when visitors stayed away due to the closure of Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports in late 2008.

</quote>

seems the reds have a long way to go before they do the damage that the yellows did...

Until the Reds have proven to be worse in every single field than every other group out there, the apologists will not write a hard word against them.

Wonderful to see such 'objective' people here.

Close enough to the truth no doubt.

Precision is not needed.

Replace the numbers with substantial numbers of toursits did not come in March.

Thaksin to the rescue of Thailand again,

doing so much to help the country prosper

as any would be national leader should be trying to do....

seems the reds have a long way to go before they do the damage that the yellows did...

Sure that was damaging, but Thai people do not learn their lessons and start the Red Shirt movement for nothing.

Class war - are theu living in today's world, where global competition sets the pace?

A pity that the majority of Thais not stand up and set an end to these sandbox games which will hurt all at the end.

There's no point whatsoever in trying to make comparisons between the effect of the Yellow demonstrations and the current Red demonstrations.

Whatever effect the Reds are having is an accumulation from the Yellows. And it's just as pointless to try to find numbers justifying an accumulation - i.e. this one wouldn't be so bad if the previous one hadn't taken place, and the rest of the idiocy.

What is needed is a simple examination, and reliable stats, of the current effect. Just how much effect are the current demonstrations having?

I have read that they are a direct cause of a drop of 1000 hotel nights booked per day. That includes the cancelled and postponed "Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions" projects.

Anecdotally, a friend of mine with a restaurant in Bangkok says that his numbers have plummeted. I was in last night and while there, only two other people stopped for something quick. I am accustomed to seeing lineups! And there wasn't even passing pedestrian traffic, another source of regular clientele. That's a serious effect.

As for myself, I was planning on doing some shopping today, but even though it's Friday and not a "demonstration" day, the public transit (buses) are so screwed up - seems nothing's going through Rathchadamnoen Klang anymore, and who knows just where they are going? - that I can't be bothered. I can leave it until some other time, or simply do without.

So who's affected by this? obviously, the small shops and vendors I'd visit.

I also figure that there's not much point in my hanging around here much longer - might as well catch a bus and head home.

So who's affected by this? first, my guesthouse, where I won't spend another couple of nights, plus the restaurants and vendors I'd enjoy. If I'm not there, I'm not spending money, and they're not benefiting.

Yes, all this can been seen anecdotally, but multiply it by other pissed off visitors, some of whom come from other parts of Thailand and just don't want to be bothered anymore, plus the international visitors who take home those wonderful stories of simple inconvenience, so why bother?

Believe the economists and their contradictory number games, or look on the streets and see how much custom is down?

The current interminable demonstrations (night and day, constantly for weeks on end) are having a serious long going affect on the city and country.

If you are in the tourism and/or hospitality industry,complaining about the lack of oversea visitors, without realizing that the main target market must be locales: you are already lost...

Farang are just a niche market!

I am little lost here...

I am in the tourism business and I don't see how domestic market can be a main target: the spending power is just not there!

Calling farangs a niche market goes against the thousands of hotels running all around Thailand focusing on oversea markets! 95% of occupancy for 5 stars hotels is from oversea clients, while the domestic market is good mainly for events [weddings, corporate meetings and so on]

The largest tour operators and hotels chains are catering to farangs, period.

That's probably why we have seen so many News stories about drug-smugglers being arrested, they are all alone in the big empty airports.

Congratulations to the Thaksinites on making the law-abiding & decent hard-working tourists cancel holidays, so that the only people flying in eventually will be drugs-mules & gary glitter. Disco.

Seriously though I'm flying into bkk from uk next week & from a expats point of view it is nada, just means shorter queues for me & more chance of being groped by the customs man. It is the Thais who suffer when their tourism industry plummets.

I hear a lot of stuff on this forum about "thailand no need no tourists!" and that's genuinely roll-around hilarious, even England relies on the tourism industry to stop it sinking further into the gutter than it already is.

In England the most oft quoted reason by citizen polls,for keeping the English monarchy, after "We love the Queen" (she is hugely popular), is "the monarchy attracts millions of tourists." England needs tourists for financial reasons, so why do many of the red-shirts in Thailand & on this forum feel that tourists can go home & stay there, we 'no need them'.

Its a tragedy for the normal hard working Thai, urban or rural. Tourism isn't just fat white men with cameras, it is also business investors. No business will invest in a land where even the tourists don't go.

Although the figure may or not be true, i can tell you my business dropped by 20% since Red Shirt fiasco. It was bad when the airport closed too

it was great Dec through Feb. but as usual nothing make sense over here. Stupid action by people to destroy the economy health. i guess the Rich behind all these don't really care about the common people, i will never put any more money in Thailand.

Got it in a nutshell, in fact it is in their interests that Isan people remain as poor as possible. Good source of slave labour for the factories.

I am sure we all know friends relatives etc who live abroad and I am sure we all talk to them and look at other sources on the internet.

Reading between the lines and as you say, taking things with a pinch of salt, is an art form that needs to be cultivated here.

If you are in the tourism and/or hospitality industry,complaining about the lack of oversea visitors, without realizing that the main target market must be locales: you are already lost...

Farang are just a niche market!

The main target market is the locals ??? Even TAT dont accept that.

caf

That's probably why we have seen so many News stories about drug-smugglers being arrested, they are all alone in the big empty airports.

Congratulations to the Thaksinites on making the law-abiding & decent hard-working tourists cancel holidays, so that the only people flying in eventually will be drugs-mules & gary glitter. Disco.

Seriously though I'm flying into bkk from uk next week & from a expats point of view it is nada, just means shorter queues for me & more chance of being groped by the customs man. It is the Thais who suffer when their tourism industry plummets.

I hear a lot of stuff on this forum about "thailand no need no tourists!" and that's genuinely roll-around hilarious, even England relies on the tourism industry to stop it sinking further into the gutter than it already is.

In England the most oft quoted reason by citizen polls,for keeping the English monarchy, after "We love the Queen" (she is hugely popular), is "the monarchy attracts millions of tourists." England needs tourists for financial reasons, so why do many of the red-shirts in Thailand & on this forum feel that tourists can go home & stay there, we 'no need them'.

Its a tragedy for the normal hard working Thai, urban or rural. Tourism isn't just fat white men with cameras, it is also business investors. No business will invest in a land where even the tourists don't go.

"why do many of the red-shirts in Thailand & on this forum feel that tourists can go home & stay there, we 'no need them'. "

the demonstrations are about something more important than tourism, although discussion of their reasons is usually met with the usual flaming.

"why do many of the red-shirts in Thailand & on this forum feel that tourists can go home & stay there, we 'no need them'. "

the demonstrations are about something more important than tourism, although discussion of their reasons is usually met with the usual flaming.

Correct. Thaksin is far more important to the red shirts than tourism.

EDIT: What are their reasons? Besides Thaksin I mean.

Edited by anotherpeter

I have a Hi -S0 friend who is a big employer of Isaan people. He pays well above the average wage along with all the benefits i.e. health and welfare decent free accommodation education for the children and further education for his staff who want to pursue it.

Why does he do this ?

He states that the Isaan folk are indeed hard working, loyal and honest, indeed worth every baht of what he invests in them, as he says ''we need each other.''

Not all of the so called Hi-So folk are insulated from the reality of daily life for the man and the woman in the street.

Indeed the '' Up the workers '' rhetoric is indeed a hackneyed expression.

Under the Thaksin regime the Thai people didn't have '' greatness thrust upon them, they had it thrust up them.''

If Thaksin and his ilk return that previous bleed them all dry scenario will apply yet again in a far more vicious form, ''Revenge is mine would be Thaksins byword..

Edited by siampolee

Correct. Thaksin is far more important to the red shirts than tourism.

EDIT: What are their reasons? Besides Thaksin I mean.

If they knew, they would have answered that. They think they will dissolve parliament. So...just back to the usual 3 month unstable rotation of politicians then. Do they realize all the votes are usually bought anyway? There's really no power to the people in a place where a coup can reoccur an astronomical 16 times.

Maybe a couple hundred more years of progress....

More Marxists propaganda, everyone want the poor to remain poor...right...failure to understand market economy 101 is reason for this nonsense.

go working on a ricefield for 60bht a day

What does a rice field have to do with factory and factory owners? Many farmers own/rent small rice fields and are therefor their own bosses. I know my GF's [poor] family is, with their sugar field.

jeanpierre.

According to the comment posted here below

'' belgium guy retired still work 5 months summer in belguim rest 7 months thailand live chaiyaprukroad

A part time expert .

I wonder if this fellow is really in touch with reality in his own country let alone here ?

Been here twenty years Belgium man, perhaps a little more informed than you may think. I have my principles.

You merely are able to afford your principals and your political stance

i to am in the tourism business. I can tell you the same thing. Are up coming season for koreans was due for starting april and may, so much for that. I stand to lose quite a bit of money, but I thankful that at least over time I have managed to build up a nice money reserve in the bank just for scenarios like this. The only bad thing I can say honestly though.

Is doing business in thailand worth the money and regards if over the last few years you have to look forward to losing money due to political unrest and riots or even worse another airport closure. Money come and money goes i suppose but not much to look forwad to when you have a crappy system

The drop in tourists must be to do with the violence free red shirt rallys , nothing to do with it being march and on the cusp of changing seasons .. eh ..

BLAME THE RED SHIRTS FOR EVERYTHING .

IT RAINED YESTERDAY .... BLAME THE RED SHIRTS ...

THE PRICE OF CHANG HAS GONE UP 31BHAT ... BLAME THE RED SHIRTS..

A STAY DOG SHITTE ON THE WALKWAY ... BLAME THE RED SHIRTS

Until the Reds have proven to be worse in every single field than every other group out there, the apologists will not write a hard word against them.

Wonderful to see such 'objective' people here.

It is easy and convenient to blame the sharp drop in the numbers of tourists on the red shirt protests. Those of us who try to be objective look for the real cause.

FACT: tourism in March has plummeted - but no, mention of the recession affecting those parts of the World where the farang tourists come from; where unemployment rates are high and many jobs are still at risk; where consumers are beng cautious with their money and are not spending in their own high streets.

Based on other posts in this thread, "farang" can be taken to mean American, Australian/NZ, Canadian, European tourists. The US$/Euro/GB£ exchange rates against the Thai baht make coming to Thailand for a vacation an incrreasingly expensive option. Regular readers of this forum cannot fail to have seen the frequent posts bemoaning the effect the exchange rate is having on retirees on fixed incomes and living standards of ex-pats generally.

The reality is that Thailand is not immune from the World recession and its aftermath.

well if you are stupid enough to start a businesses in this Country its your loss.

The best thing is to have money in the bank and spend it.

And if you cant do that well come back when you have.

Then you do not have to care about who was and who is.

well if you are stupid enough to start a businesses in this Country its your loss.

The best thing is to have money in the bank and spend it.

And if you cant do that well come back when you have.

Then you do not have to care about who was and who is.

Yes it would be a nice world if we all had savings so large that we don't have to work.

Just wondering tho if everyone had those savings and didn't open business catering to fellow expat or tourists, where would you hang out?

Or do you only frequent Local owned establishments catering for local market?

I agree there are risks to running business here, but it's a trade off, take risk and live somewhere you like to live, and be happy year round, or be safe and miserable for half the year in a freezing country whilst saving for the happy 6 months. Many do this, it must be horrible when you are in the last week of the 6th month.

Where there's risk there can be rewards, I admire anyone who has the guts to make the move and risk opening a business here and then makes a success out of it. If you can do it here you can do it anywhere........