UNAIDS Calls For Lifting Of HIV Travel Bans

george

UNAIDS calls for lifting of HIV travel bans

BANGKOK (AFP) -- UNAIDS, backed by hundreds of parliamentarians, called Sunday for the lifting of travel restrictions on HIV-positive people which are still by imposed by 52 countries.

Complete entry bans on HIV-positive visitors are in place in 11 countries, including Singapore and China, while other restrictions including the refusal of residency rights remain elsewhere, including Australia and New Zealand.

"There's no reason to have these travel restrictions now, it's not based in public health rationale, and they're depriving people of their basic rights," UNAIDS chief Michel Sidibe said at an international meeting of lawmakers.

"We are calling for global freedom of movement for people living with HIV," he said in the Thai capital.

Sidibe said that many of the countries had enacted laws restricting HIV-positive people during the 1980s, when the newly discovered virus triggered mass panic.

But since then research on the epidemic has shown that giving people with the virus freedom of movement poses no hazard, he said.

The United States overturned its HIV travel ban in January, while China and Ukraine are currently debating similar moves.

The restrictions on HIV-positive people "needlessly rob them of their dignity and equal rights," said Theo-Ben Gurirab, president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union.

The assembly brought together 680 lawmakers from 128 countries who backed the UN's call.

UNAIDS said its appeal on travel restrictions was the beginning of a global advocacy campaign that would target country leaders and mobilise civil society groups to act.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-28

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I have never known of any requirement for an HIV test for work permits. I believe they do require a syphilis test before issuing a work permit, however. Syphilis is treatable.

So what is the official position of the Kingdom of Thailand? I thought you needed a certificate in order to get a work permit, or is this no longer the case?

Yes, a health certificate from a Thai doctor. Mine cost 50 baht and involved the Doctor asking me if I was sick or not when I said not he wrote out the certificate.TIT :)

So what is the official position of the Kingdom of Thailand? I thought you needed a certificate in order to get a work permit, or is this no longer the case?

Yes, a health certificate from a Thai doctor. Mine cost 50 baht and involved the Doctor asking me if I was sick or not when I said not he wrote out the certificate.TIT :)

So as usual the "official" position doesn't really matter anyway.....

So as usual the "official" position doesn't really matter anyway.....

You can be 65 and on one leg, you'll still get your med. certificate that you're 100% healthy.

I have never known of any requirement for an HIV test for work permits. I believe they do require a syphilis test before issuing a work permit, however. Syphilis is treatable.

With the medications out today, HIV + people are treatable as well.

With the medications out today, HIV + people are treatable as well.

Is there a pill for Mr. Thaksin..!? :)

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to depend on the officer: With my first workpermit, it was the same like you described (except the fact that I had to pay 700 THB for Samitivej). Got a paper stating that I don't have Syphilis and other stuff and got the work permit without any hassle. Today, my company called me that my medical certificate is not enough (btw this time I paid 1,000 THB to Samitivej): The officer wants to have the results of my blood test, which, of course, was never conducted. So I'll probably have to go back again, pay again, wait again, make a blood test,... -.-

• 2 months later...
Migrants registering for a work permit in Thailand must undergo a health examination, but HIV testing is not mandatory, as stipulated in Thailand's National Code of Practice on Prevention and Management of HIV/AIDS in the Workplace (January 2005). If found unfit, migrant workers may lose their work permit and face deportation.

-Source

Can anyone confirm this?