Hello!

andD

So why not tell us something about you, where are you from, how long are you planning to stay and what do you plan to do whilst you're here, not being nosey but it might help to get the conversation going and fill in any information gaps you may have, folks on the CM forum love to talk!

Thanks for the welcome

Ok thats just what i was after but didnt want to be to pushy on 1st post :D anyway here gos.Im from Wales and im 45, i have been coming to los for 15 months and on the 12th may it will be my 6th visit so im quite keen lol. anyway iv been going to pattaya but to be honest after about 2 days i find it a bit to hectic and so end up going to jomtien which is about 4 miles out of town and lot more relaxed dont get me wrong i love the girls and bars and i hope you have plenty in chiang mai also but i dont want it all the time so i heard it was a bit more layed back in chiang mai but i really dont know anything about the place so i need info on how to get there by plane,places to stay and any general info i can get oh and ill be staying for 1 month my usual time hows that chiang mai? :)

Edited by andD

What are you looking for, what do you want, are you gay, are you in Garry Glitters Band. If you want answers you must show your hand. Personally l like my Hamburger with cheese. :)

srry m8 im not gay! and come on come on :D i prefer kfc but im quite partial to a furburger but i add my own cheese.

Edited by andD

What are you looking for, what do you want, are you gay, are you in Garry Glitters Band. If you want answers you must show your hand. Personally l like my Hamburger with cheese. :)

srry m8 im not gay! and come on come on :D i prefer kfc but im quite partial to a furburger but i add my own cheese.

well your never going to make moderator :D ...... everyone knows moderators dont eat kfc. :D

andD

re .... anyway here goes... .Im from Wales

wales ... wales ?

the first bar you should visit is the old bell on loi kroh road coz the owner whos been here quite some time is welsh and he might be able to give you some advice about chiang mai ways and customs : )

welcome .... dave2 .. ( ex bristol )

andD

re .... anyway here goes... .Im from Wales

wales ... wales ?

the first bar you should visit is the old bell on loi kroh road coz the owner whos been here quite some time is welsh and he might be able to give you some advice about chiang mai ways and customs : )

welcome .... dave2 .. ( ex bristol )

How very kind of you Dave2!

where are you from in Wales AndD?

Ydych Chi'n Siarad Cymraeg?

lol yes i do enjoy a good laugh and looks like theres a bar with my name on it already, im all excited now at the prospect of going somewhere new :D .nid noi siarad cymraeg butty(a Welsh millwall supporter :) ). Ok guys how the heck do i get there ill be flying into bangkok around 15:15 do i have to book a flight up there in advance or shall i just turn up and see whats going?

lol yes i do enjoy a good laugh and looks like theres a bar with my name on it already, im all excited now at the prospect of going somewhere new :D .nid noi siarad cymraeg butty(a Welsh millwall supporter :) ). Ok guys how the heck do i get there ill be flying into bangkok around 15:15 do i have to book a flight up there in advance or shall i just turn up and see whats going?

Chabai Bud? - (hope thats not rude)

Should be good to go with nok air or similar...

Four flights a day:

09:05

11:00

16:00

20:05

Little tip: Cafeteria at the very very bottom of Bangkok airport on right hand side outside. Food/Drink half price and more importantly.... its where all the stewardesses go to eat. But please keep it between me and you.

Edited by whiterussian

One very boring, low season day, I'll explain how Wales and Millwall FC came to be paired together!!

Hope you find a flight butty bach. Turn up and go should be OK this time of year. But if youre coming off a long flight I'd book- with Thai if you've got luggage. If you haven't left home yet, Any chance of a tin of laverbread?

Chabai Bud? - (hope thats not rude)

Should be good to go with nok air or similar...

Four flights a day:

09:05

11:00

16:00

20:05

Little tip: Cafeteria at the very very bottom of Bangkok airport on right hand side outside. Food/Drink half price and more importantly.... its where all the stewardesses go to eat. But please keep it between me and you.

Sorry, but coming off a long-haul flight, you'll be in Swampy, and Nokair still fly out of the other place. So perhaps Thai Airways (booked in-advance) or Air Asia would be better ? Have a good flight ! :D

thanks for the advice guys, so you reckon to book in advace for my intenal flight then? ill keep a look out for that cafe russian sounds intersesting :) . if i find any tinned lava bread ill certainly fetch you some ill put on my special list along with the marmite and good cheese. Now then just a matter of what area to stay in and what guesthouse?

> thanks for the advice guys, so you reckon to book in advace for my intenal flight then?

YES. If going with a budget airline like Air Asia then it's cheaper the further you book ahead, or when you book with Thai Airways then there's the added convenience of having your luggage go all the way through to Chiang Mai.

> Now then just a matter of what area to stay in and what guesthouse?

Old Town area is central, quiet and with lots of local atmosphere. Budget? Other requirements?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

> thanks for the advice guys, so you reckon to book in advace for my intenal flight then?

YES. If going with a budget airline like Air Asia then it's cheaper the further you book ahead, or when you book with Thai Airways then there's the added convenience of having your luggage go all the way through to Chiang Mai.

> Now then just a matter of what area to stay in and what guesthouse?

Old Town area is central, quiet and with lots of local atmosphere. Budget? Other requirements?

old town sounds good,but my budget will be low so looking at min 500bht max 700bht a night if possible with a balcony,ac and wifi but maybe only book a week at a time incase i want to move on.

I enjoy Chiang Mai because it's big enough to get "a bit" lost and small enough to find your way around without taking hours to get there. It has a good mix of all types of people and certainly enough English speaking ones (including a few Cockneys that nobody can understand anyway) to make you feel comfortable. Although not like Pattaya, there are certainly enough bars with pretty ladies if that is your choice. And, it's like a nice Thai boob... anything more than a mouthfull is excessive. It doesn't take long to get out in the country and there are some splendid hiking trails if that is what you enjoy. There's certainly more than enough places to eat... from Thai cafes where 40 baht buys you a substantial meal to an upscale steak house that will run about 10 times that.

One other thing... If you MIGHT have to wait any length of time in the Suvarnabhumcrash airport I suggest flying with Bangkok Air. It's got a great lounge for sitting around and waiting for a flight. They offer free goodies and drinks, and there's internet available. Thai Air is more expensive and the other airlines are only slightly cheaper.

Edited by IanForbes

I enjoy Chiang Mai because it's big enough to get "a bit" lost and small enough to find your way around without taking hours to get there. It has a good mix of all types of people and certainly enough English speaking ones (including a few Cockneys that nobody can understand anyway) to make you feel comfortable. Although not like Pattaya, there are certainly enough bars with pretty ladies if that is your choice. And, it's like a nice Thai boob... anything more than a mouthfull is excessive. It doesn't take long to get out in the country and there are some splendid hiking trails if that is what you enjoy. There's certainly more than enough places to eat... from Thai cafes where 40 baht buys you a substantial meal to an upscale steak house that will run about 10 times that.

One other thing... If you MIGHT have to wait any length of time in the Suvarnabhumcrash airport I suggest flying with Bangkok Air. It's got a great lounge for sitting around and waiting for a flight. They offer free goodies and drinks, and there's internet available. Thai Air is more expensive and the other airlines are only slightly cheaper.

Thanks. how much time do you think i should give my self from wheels down pass imigration and baggage then check in internal flight?

Can take up to an hour to clear immigration and pick up your bags, even though I'm usually through in 20-25 minutes. For a budget flight you need to check in 45 minutes prior, and if you're late you lose your ticket.. So don't cut it too close and leave 2 hours and pray your flight isn't late. (Again, this is one more reason to just fly Thai Air when connecting from/to an international flight.)

Seriously Butt, If you're coming off an international flight take Thai Airways up here. More flights., more reliable, baggage limit 20-25KG ish (Air Asia, Nok 1-2Go(ne) 15Kg top whack and surcharges if you go over. Not sure about Bangkok Airways, but the problem with them is only around 4 flights a day. 1 gets cancelled and your hanging around for ages. Thai have 10-15 flights a day. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, you can get your bags patched stright through from UK to Chiang Mai. The difference in price is minimal when converted to Welsh Pounds. (even at today's derisory rates).

As far as Guest Houses are concerned. 500-700 baht will get you something fairly good. You could consider a months rental. Veerachai court Thapae Rd, soi 3 is popular with a lot of my regulars and they charge around 5,000 to 6,000 a month depending on the rooms and your bargaining skills. Many other places charge around the same for long stays.

Canada does not have a Thai airways flight to Thailand so I always have to use another airlines... usually EVA. What others have said about Bangkok air and Thai air is true. Maybe that is the reason why Thai air is about 500 to 800 baht more expensive than the other airlines. For the convenience of not waiting in airports it's worth the extra 500 baht. When I checked the other day it was 2500 baht from Chiang Mai to Bankok on Thai Air. It was 1900 baht on Bangkok Air (but only 3 flights) and about 1700 to 1800 baht for NOK and Air Asia. But, as others said, the baggage limit on NOK was 15 kilos. It was 20 kilos on Thai and Bangkok Air.

I am using EVA this time i had a great price (i thought) last week £460 direct from heathrow and Thai air were about £60 more so with the money i saved i can go mad and use Thai air internal flight to cm. i have just checked out the website for veerachi court and it looks fine but no prices for rooms so i have emailed them and see what they offer. Once again guys thanks for all your help its apprieciated :)

I am using EVA this time i had a great price (i thought) last week £460 direct from heathrow and Thai air were about £60 more so with the money i saved i can go mad and use Thai air internal flight to cm. i have just checked out the website for veerachi court and it looks fine but no prices for rooms so i have emailed them and see what they offer. Once again guys thanks for all your help its apprieciated :)

Keep in mind that Veerachai is a bit of a scene, a retired-(s)expat ghetto, if you will. There's nothing wrong with the place, but if you're looking for a more authentic Chiang Mai vibe then it may not be the place. If you don't care about such things (or even appreciate such things) then it's a great choice.

Keep in mind that Veerachai is a bit of a scene, a retired-(s)expat ghetto, if you will. There's nothing wrong with the place, but if you're looking for a more authentic Chiang Mai vibe then it may not be the place. If you don't care about such things (or even appreciate such things) then it's a great choice.

That's absolutely true. Although the use of the word 'ghetto' to describe a predominantly ex-patriot residence would not be my choice of language!!!