Thai Policeman Guilty - Gets Life In Prison

george

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a bad result, few years of easy living in jail and he'll be out when all the drama of the case has died down.

If anybody thinks he'll be doing hard time for 50-60 yrs then I agree with backpack_thailand, that's naive.

And why didn't he get the death sentence when he put in an 'innocent plea" and was found guilty of double murder?

Thai News Agency version (posted at 13:52)

Thai policeman gets life for murdering British tourists

KANCHANABURI: -- A Thai policeman has been sentenced to life in prison for the murder of two young British tourists in Kanchanaburi last year.

A local court on Thursday found Police Sergeant Major Somchai Wisetsingh guilty of killing Adam Lloyd, 25, and his girlfriend Vanessa Arscott, 24 on 9 September 2004, after a row at his restaurant in the central province of Kanchanaburi, a hundred kilometres west of Bangkok.

Pol. Sgt. Maj. Somchai had been charged with murder with intent and the unauthorised possession of a weapon.

The judge at the Kanchanaburi Provincial Court sentenced Pol. Sgt.Maj. Somchai to death, but commuted the death sentence to life imprisonment because the defendant had surrendered to the police,confessed to the murders during interrogation and had a good police career record.

Relatives of the murdered victims were in court to hear the sentences.

The case has drawn substantial local and international media attention as the policeman was accused of killing foreign tourists.

Earlier, the Thai government promised that the culprit would be brought to justice swiftly and in a transparent manner.

--TNA 2005-05-26

Father: No mercy for couple's Thai killer

KANCHANABURI: -- The father of a British man killed with his girlfriend in Thailand has said their killer "cannot expect us to give him any mercy" as he was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Adam Lloyd, 25, and Vanessa Arscott, 23, were shot dead in the tourist town of Kanchanaburi, known for the infamous bridge over the River Kwai, on September 9.

Her family said earlier they were "hoping and praying" that police Sergeant Somchai Visetsingha would be found guilty, and today, Adam's father Brian said after the verdict: "No form of punishment will ever bring our children back. We trust that the sentence given to the butcher will be served in full.

"He showed them no mercy and cannot expect us to give him any mercy."

The parents of both victims, along with three other relatives and several friends, sat with a translator in one corner of the courthouse in Kanchanaburi, 70 miles west of Bangkok.

Mr Lloyd said that Somchai was likely to appeal the verdict and that the case could drag on for years.

The handcuffed policeman, wearing black trousers and shirt, sat with his eyes downcast as the judge read a lengthy description of the crime before handing down the sentence. Judge Dilok Boonthawinant said the death sentence was not meted out because during interrogation he confessed to the killings.

Miss Arscott's parents Graham and Joyce flew out to Thailand with her younger sister Alyssa on Tuesday night. Mr Lloyd's parents Brian and Lynda travelled out last week.

Somchai claimed in court that one of his criminal informants, whom he only identified by a pseudonym, killed the British tourists, and that he did not know the couple.

But on Sunday the News of the World published pictures taken with Miss Arscott's camera of the policeman kissing her on the cheek and joking with the pair.

'Murdered in cold blood'

Mrs Arscott previously said: "He said that he had never met them before, but the prosecution were able to produce these photographs.

"It proved they were two nice people who were out for a lovely holiday, which they thoroughly enjoyed, and looking forward to coming home.

"They had been into that place before. They stopped on their way out and went back there, unfortunately."

She added: "He murdered Adam in cold blood and of course Vanessa was a witness. That is what it amounted to, and he murdered her to cover up his crime.

"He did it in such a terrible, terrible way, that's what we can't forgive."

Miss Arscott, from Ashburton, Devon, and Mr Lloyd, from Torquay, Devon, had been travelling in Thailand for two months. They were killed two days before they were to fly home.

Somchai, who surrendered to the authorities on October 7, originally told Thai police he shot Mr Lloyd after the Briton spat in his face during an argument.

He said he had not intended to kill Miss Arscott, whom he accidentally hit with his car as she tried to stop him from fleeing, and then shot in a panic.

But later, after the court refused to change his murder charges to crimes not punishable with the death penalty, he changed his testimony and pleaded not guilty to killing the tourists.

--Daily Mail, UK 2005-05-26

Very happy with the result. May the deceased rest peacefully and now the family can start to move on. Very sad event and I think it affected all of us expats who live here.............

and a big som num na, to the murderer!

How many favour the death penalty?

In my humble meaning, I think the death penalty is completely wrong. God told us not to kill and nobody on this planet has the right to kill. NOBODY. An NDE I had about 20 years ago brought me to this simple insight.

There are harsher punishments than the death penalty. In prison for life without any possibility of parole would be a much more adequate punishment than the death penalty, especially for this accused, if proven guilty. Imagine yourself, say 40 years in prison without the chance of ever getting your freedom back.

I know in Thailand this would never materialize this way and that is sad.

By the way who said the farang was spitting in the Thai policeman's face? He had one month time (while he was in hiding) to cook up this story.

This is what I posted yesterday in George's previous post. But when I read all the opinions of how this guy might gets out of prison.... Still we can't kill 'em.

Having been here for over 18 years I have seen many times how easy prisoners are freed by a royal pardon, tens of thousands at a time. My wife said that she believes that no people who have comitted manslaughter are included in those royal pardons. It just wouldn't make any sense. And then: what does make any sense in Thailand? I can all of you suggest a refreshing book about Thailand I just bought: Thailand Confidential by Jerry Hopkins ISBN 0-7946-0093-X. He really sees Thailand the way it is and gives us expats even more valuable insight.

The more this guy was handed two life sentences, I don't believe at all that he could ever get out. There will be people monitoring his whereabouts for many years to come. And if he would ever get out there are people who surely will take the law into their own hands and order his killing outside of the judicial path..

Edited by Dario

I don't know how this can be classified as a "crime of passion". Killing one person might be, but killing a second person to cover up the first murder sounds like it's bordering on premeditated. I mean how long do you have to think about killing someone before it's premeditated?

This is a man who is supposed to "uphold" the law and should be held to the highest standard of justice. I don't agree with the death penalty, but they do have it here and drug pushers are given it, so why not someone who kills two people?

I think it speaks volumes about "justice" here.

Those people who want to keep it on the radar screen also need to check and make sure it's actually him in jail. A couple of years back there was some lady who paid someone else to serve her time--anybody remember that case?

I have been here more than 20 years - NO I repeat NO cop EVER does hard time here. You folks out in cuckooland (i.e. the real world) should also be advised that it is A CRIME here in LOS to even comment on the outcome of a court case here, such is the bent judiciary and cop force. He is a murderer and should have hanged. He changed his plea, but then he gets "let off" for admitting his guilt EARLIER ! Shiiiiiiiiiiit! Better you all get together and next visa run bang in a hundred USD each and get him REALLY wasted.... just an idea, a pleasant fantasy aaaghhh ! I went to the C.M. cemetary today as the wife had to pay the electricity over the road. I stopped in front of the grave of Keith Tate, a 66 y.o. Brit who was murdered here in 1998 by his darling wifes' brother, allegedly. Nothing ever came of it. Time elapses, no one cares. Then there was my friend Mike, another Brit murdered here about 4 years ago. Five Thais go to jail, change their story, let out after a few months...... There is NO justice here. End of story. (sorry !)

I don't know how this can be classified as a "crime of passion".  Killing one person might be, but killing a second person to cover up the first murder sounds like it's bordering on premeditated.  I mean how long do you have to think about killing someone before it's premeditated?

This is a man who is supposed to "uphold" the law and should be held to the highest standard of justice.  I don't agree with the death penalty, but they do have it here and drug pushers are given it, so why not someone who kills two people?

I think it speaks volumes about "justice" here. 

Those people who want to keep it on the radar screen also need to check and make sure it's actually him in jail.  A couple of years back there was some lady who paid someone else to serve her time--anybody remember that case?

I agree, it was not a crime of passion it was cold blooded murder.

He was a typical drunk idiot, who thought he had power over a couple of tourists, because it was his country they were in. He treated them like dogs the way he killed them and I hope he really suffers for it.

As he is only a lowly sergeant, he will not get any bonuses in jail, that only goes to the guys with the pips.

Everytime I see his photo, I want to reach in and snap his back :o

I don't know how this can be classified as a "crime of passion". Killing one person might be, but killing a second person to cover up the first murder sounds like it's bordering on premeditated. I mean how long do you have to think about killing someone before it's premeditated?

Yeah, true- the second killing blows that.

Anyway, he said he didn't do it - that informant Mr Ya killed them, so he's not even pleading temporary insanity fuelled by booze.

I have been here more than 20 years - NO I repeat NO cop EVER does hard time here. You folks out in cuckooland (i.e. the real world) should also be advised that it is A CRIME here in LOS to even comment on the outcome of a court case here, such is the bent judiciary and cop force. He is a murderer and should have hanged. He changed his plea, but then he gets "let off" for admitting his guilt EARLIER ! Shiiiiiiiiiiit! Better you all get together and next visa run bang in a hundred USD each and get him REALLY wasted.... just an idea, a pleasant fantasy aaaghhh ! I went to the C.M. cemetary today as the wife had to pay the electricity over the road. I stopped in front of the grave of Keith Tate, a 66 y.o. Brit who was murdered here in 1998 by his darling wifes' brother, allegedly. Nothing ever came of it. Time elapses, no one cares. Then there was my friend Mike, another Brit murdered here about 4 years ago. Five Thais go to jail, change their story, let out after a few months...... There is NO justice here. End of story. (sorry !)

That is really a sad state of affiars, what I don't understand is why are you still here?

Sadly I fear the whole thing is a sham. They knew they had to convict him for PR reasons so they twisted the whole "confession" thing around so that they had an excuse not to give him the death penalty.

I wouldn't be surprised if many in authority here sympathise with what he did. I can see him having an easy ride in prison and then getting out in a couple of years when they think the world won't notice ...

There is no doubt that this is a sham, and was arranged from the beginning to leave an open door. Anyone who doubts this is simply naive about the workings of Thailand.

What would've happened if the photos did not surface when they did? In my view, there was already overwhelming evidence without the pictures. And now, there is no overwhelming reason to discount his sentence for "confessing", except for the arbitrary reasoning of the Thai judiciary "system".

When is the international community going to stand up to these travesties? Is there anything that can be done? Or will it always be business as usual?

This guy will not even go gray in prision. Just when everyone dozes off and forgets about it, this guy will walk or disappear. Life is meaningless here, and farang is just another variety.

I feel the outcome was doomed from the start. It's a sad day.

I would guess that the terms of his confession infer a crime of passion, removing the crime from one of first degree murder, which would carry a death sentence.

Premeditation is an element of murder in the first degree.

Hmm, this sentence as given is NOT ENOUGH to this kind of person.

He needs to be DRAGGED down the street 200 meters the same he did to the woman.

He needs to be SHOT in the Stomach just like he did to his victims so he can feel the very same pain as they did, and if he survives that, then shoot him several times on both knees and the kneecaps. That way guaranteed he not walk again ever.

Then He needs a bloody good beating around his head to feel the pain of his victims and also have both hands cut off so he cannot harm another soul during his lifetime.

Then put him away for life as the sentence says.

He does have one chance to get out. A Royal Pardon which is given once a year here. Since he was a copper of a cop it is a scary thought that even someone in the Thai system will recommend a pardon to free him.

Daveyo

When is the international community going to stand up to these travesties? Is there anything that can be done? Or will it always be business as usual?
Try asking Amnesty International - though they tend to be anti-death penalty.

Perhaps they are still looking into the extra-judicial killings of Drug suspects by Policemen like Somchai.

If he'd shot a Thai instead he would have won a medal.

Hmm, this sentence as given is NOT ENOUGH to this kind of person.

He needs to be DRAGGED down the street 200 meters the same he did to the woman.

Dave - what would be the response of an American Cop if someone spat in his face then landed a haymaker on his chin. His gun wouldn't stay holstered for long.

Don't monkey around with armed Policemen anywhere - especially drunken ones........don't try this at home !

Edited by The_Moog

He does have one chance to get out.  A Royal Pardon which is given once a year here.  Since he was a copper of a cop it is a scary thought that even someone in the Thai system will recommend a pardon to free him.

Fortunately, HM doesn't grant royal pardons to murderers. But the perp could get the sentence reduced on appeal, or even overturned.

I would guess that the terms of his confession infer a crime of passion, removing the crime from one of first degree murder, which would carry a death sentence.

Premeditation is an element of murder in the first degree.

Unpremeditated, yes. But given the number of victims, a crime committed by an active duty law enforcement officer, what seems like a cold-blooded, execution style killing, and a blow to the national image/tourism, when all added up, would have somehow carried enough weight toward death penalty verdict, I was hoping.

Here is Missouri's verdict just three days ago on a police officer who killed his gay lover. Life without parole.

Edited by Nordlys

I remember at one point he said that prison is like a death sentence for him already because he put lots of drug trafficers there himself and they will want revenge. There might be a bit of truth in it, especially if he serves in Kanchanaburi. Or maybe it was a bluff.

Hes got no fear in prison, all his mates are the prison wardens, no one will dare to touch him in there, he just said that to excuse him fleeing the scene before.

So the result today very bad, guy kills two people and gets a few years easy life inside before being let out the back door when the papers will not notice it. Most of us know all this why'll all the potential tourists abroad think justice has been served.

If anybody thinks this was a good result today you've been conned like the rest of them.

If he had killed two thai people he would never have been charged.

If he wasn't a policeman and killed two farang he would have got death sentence.

The evidence didn't effect this case, his position in the police and how it looked internationally were the deciding factors in the verdict.

dave yo

He needs to be SHOT in the Stomach just like he did to his victims so he can feel the very same pain as they did, and if he survives that, then shoot him several times on both knees and the kneecaps. That way guaranteed he not walk again ever.

Then He needs a bloody good beating around his head to feel the pain of his victims and also have both hands cut off so he cannot harm another soul during his lifetime.

dave , you're nothing but a big girls blouse !! :o

I also think that the Nigerians would not be stupid enough to attack a policeman whether hes in jail or not.

Adam Lloyd may have done ....... perhaps after Somchai was slobbering over his girlfriend.

I was born near Ashburton - where they hailed from, a quiet village in Devon..........a substantially different tempo than Thailand.

I also think that the Nigerians would not be stupid enough to attack a policeman whether hes in jail or not.

Adam Lloyd may have done ....... perhaps after Somchai was slobbering over his girlfriend.

I was born near Ashburton - where they hailed from, a quiet village in Devon..........a substantially different tempo than Thailand.

Just leave him in there and hope the worst for him, he deserves it.