Chief Of Police Force In South Transferred

george

Chief of police force in South transferred

BANGKOK: -- The Commissioner of the Provincial Police Region 9, Pol. Lt. Gen. Manote Kraiwong, was yesterday transferred to an inactive 'adviser' post at the Royal Thai Police Headquarters in Bangkok reportedly due to his failure to help quell the spate of violent unrest in Thailand's deep South.

He was replaced by the Commissioner of the Provincial Police Region 3, Pol. Lt. Gen. Adul Saengsingkaew, who was said to be good at public approaches.

The decisions were made at a special meeting of the Royal Thai Police Board here yesterday, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Pol. Gen. Chidchai Vanasatidya.

Pol. Gen. Chidchai briefly told journalists after the meeting Wednesday evening that there had been some changes among senior police officers for 'appropriate reasons'.

He denied to give more details until the Minute of the meeting is soon endorsed.

It was, however, reported that Pol. Maj. Gen. Peera Mekvichai, the Deputy Commissioner of the Provincial Police Region 3, was appointed to be the Acting Commissioner of the Provincial Police Region 3, replacing Pol. Lt. Gen. Adul.

The Legal Advisor of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Nopadol Somboonsub, was also reportedly appointed to be a new deputy national police chief, which had been vacant after Pol. Gen. Chidchai was appointed to be a cabinet member earlier.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has assigned Pol. Gen. Chidchai to 'make some changes' of authorities in charge of addressing the insurgency problem in Thailand's deep South, which has resulted in hundreds of deaths and injuries since the beginning of last year.

--TNA 2005-05-26

Not convinced, changing of guards does the trick.  :o

I agree. The increases in violence seem to have started soon after the miltary was given more of a backseat to the police in the South. When I lived there a few years ago, the police were hated and feared by most, and after seeing them in action sometimes, I could understand why... The miltary was much more tolerated, from what locals told me then.

This recent action might cause some locals to have a spot of hope, but, for now, it just seems a continuation of the deadly political game going on there...

My current hope is in Khun Anand Panyarachun and Khun Surin Pitsuwan.

This recent action might cause some locals to have a spot of hope, but, for now, it just seems a continuation of the deadly political game going on there...

My current hope is in Khun Anand Panyarachun and Khun Surin Pitsuwan.

My current hope is in Khun Anand Panyarachun and Khun Surin Pitsuwan. Agreed