Bringing Soi Dog Back To Us - Advice Needed

Hey everyone!

Was hoping some of you'd be able to provide me with some guidance... I'd like to bring my soi dog back home with me to America now that my teaching stint is over. Has anyone ever done this before? The flight back to DC is pretty long.. around 20-26 hours... I've read that Japan has some strict policies on animals. Does anyone know what type of certification/steps are necessary to bring a dog home? Is there an age requirement(my soi dog is about 4 months old)? Is it better to bring the dog on the plane like checked luggage or to ship a dog like cargo? What are the typical costs? And if anyone in Bangkok has some info as to where I can get a sturdy cage for transport(as opposed to the terrible wire cages sold throughout Thailand) ?

If anyone has any information about transporting back to the States.. it'd be greatly appreciated as I'd hate to have to leave my dog here now that she's been living the good life.

Edited by Ctinaves

I never did it myself, but I used to go out with a gal who brought in a cat from Morocco. The physical transport is the least of your worries, the medical requirements and quarantine rules will probably give you second thoughts. Check the .gov websites

Or you can get creative about it :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6936533.stm

I brought 2 dogs back and forth with me, it is easy, their shots must be current and thats pretty much it. I used a company called air animal who will arrange everything, including door to door service and a stopover in germany which has facilities for the dogs to take a break before the next flight back to the states. be prepared to pay though, 2 dogs was +5k usd each way, but like I said you are assured they are looked after.

there is no quarantine in the USA unless Hawaii.

You will need an FAA approved kennel for them, which the above company can arrange.

Edited by BillR

Can just see Somchai the Soi dog visiting the USA :) Once he discovers he has to have a leash, can't poop anywhere he fancies and isn't allowed to bark and howl all night he'll be begging to come back to Thailand.. Not allowed to go out and roam the neighborhood with the pack, no fighting and no mo'cyc taxi guys to hang with.. Oh the cruelty :D

not sure if a 4 month old pup can be shipped; thought they had to be 6 mo'... they have to have been vaccinated for rabies within a certain time frame, u need paperwork from a gov't vet; u need info from the airline u will be flying with and u need a travelling crate that meets airline guidelines... kennelaire is one company that makes airline approved flight crates. the crate must fit exactly: room for her to stand, sit, turn around in , but not too big that she is flung from side to side...

some countries require blood titres others require only paperwork for vaccines... some countries require minimum time of ownership (2 months for instance), others have no problem, u have to speak with american vet/agriculture office in the states and with the airport that u will be landing in , as not all airlines and airports comply with all the rulings (some airlines will not allow transport during certain months due to heat, layovers etc).

definately check with a company that facilitates these things if u have the money

check check and double check the rulings and criteria for animal transport

bina

israel

If you live in BKK, then I suggest you contact SCAD (www.scadbangkok.org) they have been sending several dogs to the States and definitely know what they are talking about.

And ... hint, hint, hint (for everyone who is willing to do a good deed)... they are often looking for people who can bring a dog or cat from them to a country abroad where the dog is adopted. And whether you bring one or two dogs, it doesn't make much difference for you. For the adopted dog or cat it means facing a wonderful new life with loving owners. A small effort to do. :)