Aeon Atm At Siam Paragon - Be Careful

Two weeks ago I wanted to make a withdrawal at the Aeon ATM in Siam Paragon, as usual (there's no 150 THB fee). Requested 25k THB and never got the money. There was only some noise from the machine, as normally counting the cash, but no banknotes come out. Then the beeping sound came, same as urges you to collect your card - but the card was not out as well. Eventually only the receipt came out stating that the requested amount was dispensed.

Called the Aeon first, but found little help as they said I should have contacted my bank (foreign Visa card). That's understood, so I called my bank to cancel the card and report the situation. Also needed to fill in the complaint as the money was actually deducted from the account (found that out only one week after the occurrence). Requested a new card which arrived finally today. And guess what...

Same story. I have no idea what made me go to the same ATM again (well, probably a convenient location). Interesting thing is that in the meantime I was able to use that ATM with smaller amounts (different cards), my friends as well - and no problems at all. Maybe it eats your money only when it's really worth it and doesn't care for anything smaller than 20k? :)

So I just wanted to let you know: be careful with that particular ATM. A security guy from Paragon said that two days ago another farang had had same problem there. I am not sure if it is kind of a scam or simply a broken machine, but if you have a choice of different location then I would stay out of that suspicious card-eating monster.

This is happening more then we know. I have read reports that it has and is occurring at the AEON ATM in Carrefour in Pattaya.

I have used this particular AEON ATM many times but only with draw 8k or 9k at a time. Pulling twice to reach my daily limit of roughly 16k ($500 usd)

Had this problem with the Aeon machine at Tesco n Pattaya ,staff nice but no help , contacted nationwide and money was given back to my account ,with proviso that if they could get no joy from Aeon they would take the money back (see my previous thread) never use Aeon any more to many people have had this problem with them.

Obviously, any ATM can have a problem at some points in time....

I can just say for me, thus far, I've regularly used the Siam Paragon ATM for AEON, probably dozens of times in the past year, and never had that machine eat my U.S. debit cards or fail to dispense my funds....

I don't recall that I've ever tried a 25,000 baht withdrawal there. But I've done many smaller ones, and sometimes up to 20,000 with no problem... so far... Keeping my fingers crossed.

fikway....

that was it....!?

that was the end of your story...?

that was all you gonna do....?

there was no police report....? NO, getting in touch with the admin....?

NO NOTHING....?

GEE....WEZZZ... sure like to have you as one of my regular customers.... :)

why are you not pursuing and trying to recover....?

come on.... you still have time.... the videotape is supposedly kept for 30 days....

i have no reason to doubt the authenticity of your story.... only feel perplexed that you are not pursueing your 20k chumpchange.... :D

fikway....

that was it....!?

that was the end of your story...?

that was all you gonna do....?

there was no police report....? NO, getting in touch with the admin....?

NO NOTHING....?

GEE....WEZZZ... sure like to have you as one of my regular customers....  :)

why are you not pursuing and trying to recover....?

come on.... you still have time.... the videotape is supposedly kept for 30 days....

i have no reason to doubt the authenticity of your story.... only feel perplexed that you are not pursueing your 20k chumpchange....   :D

I hope the end would be my money back in the account.

I tried contacting Aeon (a few phone calls to different call centres, in both cases), but they said there was nothing they could do here and I would have to deal with my own bank to get my money back (and it will contact Aeon probably via Visa). Honestly, I really count on happy ending here and now just wait for an outcome of my first complaint, but that's gonna probably take a while still. Do you think I should contact police about that? Maybe that's some idea.

I use the AEON ATM near me all the time. I've only had a problem once, when it said "Collect Money" but nothing came out. Then it splat the card out and that little "Open", "Closed" sign on the ATM flipped to the red "Closed".

On the receipt is said "Amount Requested: 13000, Amount Dispensed: 0". So i wasn't too worried, and it never took the amount out of my bank.

• 4 weeks later...

Used that particular Aeon ATM (Siam Paragon basement) countless times (must be 30+ by now).

Had a problem twice, both times in March 2010, with ~18k amount. Machine made noise of counting the cash, no cash came out. Luckily, I was quick (and maybe stupid) enough to stick my hand into the slot, and fight to pull out the cash. Money was actually there, just stuck in the dispenser. After a brief struggle, I managed to pull out my notes, and machine conceded victory by giving my card back as well.

I assume that particular ATM has a mechanical problem... as any machine can have occasionally. Keeping the card might be an automatic measure in case of a jam (though it sucks big time if you need the money).

That ATM is incredibly convenient, though... is there any other Aeon ATM along the Sukhumwit BTS line?