Where Would You Live If You Were 25

Clan_Gregor

Hey guys,

I am looking to move to Thailand (most likely in about 6 or 7 mo.), but am debating where to live. The situation is that I used to live in a place called Friday Harbor in the state of Washington, It was beautiful but it was a tourist trap, just tourists armed w/ cameras and old folks. I am not looking to do a repeat of that.

I am looking an BK but I am not sure if there is anywhere that is less well know that I am missing. I basicly want a place where I can do some nice hiking w/o driving forever, nice beaches, and a awsome night life. The only problem I see with BK is that it seems that it might cost almost as much as some state side places w/ the people setting prices to more or less USD equilivent in prices (if that makes sense! lol).

Anyway any place that I am missing.

Thanks guys,

Clan_Gregor

Hey guys, 

I am looking to move to Thailand (most likely in about 6 or 7 mo.), but am debating where to live. The situation is that I used to live in a place called Friday Harbor in the state of Washington, It was beautiful but it was a tourist trap, just tourists armed w/ cameras and old folks. I am not looking to do a repeat of that. 

I am looking an BK but I am not sure if there is anywhere that is less well know that I am missing. I basicly want a place where I can do some nice hiking w/o driving forever, nice beaches, and a awsome night life. The only problem I see with BK is that it seems that it might cost almost as much as some state side places w/ the people setting prices to more or less USD equilivent in prices (if that makes sense! lol). 

Thanks guys, 

Clan_Gregor

Seems like Phuket would be your sort of place, might be a bit touristy in parts for you though..

Other wise maybe just south of Hua Hin, Pran Buri maybe...(I don't know the area too well) or even Hua Hin itself, (bit touristy though )

Thing is the good nightlife is more than likely going to be in the tourist areas as will the nice beaches, a happy medium will probably have to be found.

totster :o

I basicly want a place where I can do some nice hiking w/o driving forever, nice beaches, and a awsome night life. The only problem I see with BK is that it seems that it might cost almost as much as some state side places w/ the people setting prices to more or less USD equilivent in prices (if that makes sense! lol).  

Thanks guys, 

Clan_Gregor

IF, I where you ,which I am not (thankfully) and wanted hikeing, night life et al, then why think of BKK.Not seen a beach in BKK yet!If I were to hike and do the beach as you promolgate your prospective senario (not withstanding the night life).

I beleive,and I know I will be corrected on this,the most adventurouse place to go is the Thai/ Cambodian border area(by that I mean 100km radius) of the Gulf of Siam juncture.

I could sing the praises of other destinations in LOS but I think Doc ,Mattnich ,Ajarn ,et al will do it so much better, :o

What ever you do enjoy it,good luck,Roscoe.

I almost forgot ,if you are really green about travelling in LOS this forum will always do it's best to help any genuine newbie,as I was fortunante enough to find out.

Hope I have not said anything out of order MODS. :D

Edited by roscoe

I have to be really humble now and ask where did you get that eye watering AVATAR from? After my dig the other day about your handle I've had no peace from the GF.

Roscoe :o

( does she know you ?)

Seems like Phuket would be your sort of place, might be a bit touristy in parts for you though..

Other wise maybe just south of Hua Hin, Pran Buri maybe...(I don't know the area too well) or even Hua Hin itself, (bit touristy though )

Thing is the good nightlife is more than likely going to be in the tourist areas as will the nice beaches, a happy medium will probably have to be found.

totster :D

Edited by roscoe

Pattaya because you are also close to BKK and you can stay some days in Pattaya and some days in BKK.

Otherwise Phuket but the tourists are everywhere

or try Krabi, may be is the right place for you

or try Krabi, may be is the right place for you

Ah... hadn't thought of Krabi.... might be a little better than Phuket, just may lack the nightlife you are looking for. :o

totster :D

.... may be not a nightlife with hundreds of tourists, but if you go there for 6-7 months, you will find nice places, good friends, and a lot of fun, I nicknamed Krabi "MI Casa" (My home) since one day I want to retire there

Maybe come and stay a while in a place where the night life is to your liking. You may find that it fades in importance after a while. (For me "night life" is: walk 50 meters to the local shop, buy a couple bottles of Chang, drink them while sitting in the rocker on the porch, go to bed. But, I'm a long way from 25!) Then you can look for a place that has attractions of more lasting importance.

What sort of budget do you expect to have?

Maybe come and stay a while in a place where the night life is to your liking. You may find that it fades in importance after a while. (For me "night life" is: walk 50 meters to the local shop, buy a couple bottles of Chang, drink them while sitting in the rocker on the porch, go to bed. But, I'm a long way from 25!) Then you can look for a place that has attractions of more lasting importance.

What sort of budget do you expect to have?

Thanks for the replys guys,

I am looking at around 5k a mo. USD.

Since I lived in a slow tourist trap kinda place (Friday Harbor), I really have a need for a night life, but I really also like to spend time in some nice scenery. I am a totaly green pea when it comes to Thailand; so any advice you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

-Clan_Gregor