Driving From South West Of Bangkok To The North

Wentworth

Recently drove from Prachuap Khiri Khan to the North. I don't have a Sat Nav but may consider getting one. I decided to go via Nakhom Pathom/Suphan Buri/Chai Nat then onto Nakhon Sawan after taking advice. I have driven South to Bangkok via Nakhom Sawan and Singburi before. I found the superhighway from Nakhom Sawan - Sing Buri and onwards to be more like a motorway, less of the locals joining on motorbikes without looking etc. The motorway ring round around Bangkok was good as well.

Has anyone done a similar journey going North to say Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai using the BKK motorway ring road and then onto Sing Buri? I know there's a toll on the BKK motorway but wondered if it would save on the juice and perhaps time - I'd appreciate your views.

The way you have said is a good. Road's although not as wide as 32/1. Are more direct. And will save time. going via BKK will normaly add on another hour. And if you dont know it BKK can be a nightmare. Just before Nakhon sawan there's a bypass to K p phet. Take it as will save you about 20min's. After N/Sawan the rd drop's down to a two lane duel carrageway. Untill recently the surface was crap, but they are now sorting that out. Still a few bit's of crapy surface after K P Phet to Tak then up to you C/M or C/R. From Phetchaburi to Tak. Going this way should take about 6+ hour's with a stop. But will leave you with about another 3+ hour's to C/M. Worth thinking of a stop over. K P Phet has lot's of hotel's most are cheap I think the dearest is 1000 baht. And has load's of very cheap restaurant's. On the side of the river Ping. Why not Tak??? well there's more of a selection in K P phet. Like all Thai road's night time driving is a no, no.

Like all Thai road's night time driving is a no, no.

Im familiar with the dangers of driving in the south, i.e., the harrowing 4233 with its bike tippings, but why all Thai roads?

Just curious.

Like all Thai road's night time driving is a no, no.

I have been driving over 300,000 km covering 56 provinces in Thailand during the last 18 years, I don't find that driving after midnight in Thailand is dangerous. I find that driving midnight to 6 AM is the most relaxing time to drive actually

Accident statistics show that most accidents happen in the evenings until midnight, not during the night.

Third time lucky. (POST'S) Driving a no no at night. Night time to me is when it get's dark. At about 6/30pm 7. Why, well we have all been out at night and seen all the crazy stunt;s the local's. (Farang's that is) get up to, let alone the drink factor. Talking on mobile's, no light's, signal's, going the wrong way up a one way street. And against the traffic. The Thai's dont do these thing's because there against the law. But if your unlucky enough to colect one on your travel's, no matter who's fault it is, as your a Farang it's 99% your's. If there's fatality. You've got more chance of winning the lotto, than staying in Thailand. I just happen to like my life over here. And also my life. So that's why I dont drive at night. It's your choice of course. I only hope your not one of the many, that have to leave every year. A, P.S by the look of you snap on your post I think you know what I mean.

Personaly pay the toll on 9 then hit 32 to 1. When you get to Lampang keep on 1 to CR or take 11 north to CM. About 600 klios. Good road al the way.

which way you take the 9??

I recently went left around Bangkok, last appr. 20 km are on 4 lane highway though, not motorway anymore

If you need a sat nav in Thailand you should get a seeing eye guide dog as well. This place is an easy point to point , no map required , little country. The best roads in SE Asia bar none. I just returned from Laos the third time in my truck. As bad as , or worse than Cambodia. A toss up for most. Makes me appreciate Thailand even more. Try Indonesia, Malaysia and OMG, The Philippines. Here just point it N S E W and drive.