Corby sentenced to 20 years jail

george

Kreon et al. may I suggest you do a fair bit of research before hitting your kboard with inane comments about this case. :D

typical aussies always one-sided, never look at the other side of the coin :o

Well i'm not Australian. :D

There has been truck loads of media info on this case before the reports over the last couple of days.Udon is not being one sided, he is just informed.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Having lived in Indonesia - you often see me whingeing about the place - its ghastly.

But I don't understand why people are getting so upset here....are we saying she didn't bring the drugs in and was set up by the Indonesians.

If not, then a boycott for this reason seems moot -

.......(i'll give you another list of good reasons to avoid Indonesia)

If her Defence was 'I may have had it, but it was placed in my bags by someone back home'.....then, she's stuffed, isn't she. Few Courts believe that excuse, irrespective of whether its true or not.....This is preciselywhy Drugs Barons use mules.

Edited by The_Moog

and what about when she checked in, how many kg's did her board weight :D

about the weight of her board that was never brought-up, why??? forget the dna, proof the weight :D

Very good points. What about the weight? 4kgs would be a very large percentage of the bag weight on check-in.

But I guess it's a little late now, half the gear that was in there has probably been knocked off anyway. :o

This was taken from an Aussie news Paper readers submission.

1) Corby imported drugs worth $40,000 in Sydney to a country where they will be worth less than $4,000.

2) No finger prints were taken on the bag.

3) No video evidence was available.

4) No attempt was made at concealing the drug, it was placed on top of the surfboard where it will be immediately visible upon opening the bag.

Let's now, look at how the Indonesian system works.

1) Media and other lobby groups are allowed inside the courtroom, making as much noise as they want.

2) A suspect is guilty until proven innocent.

3) One judge was reading a book and the other two listened without interpreter while Corby pleaded her defence in English.

4) The judges were allowed to give interviews to media and discuss their opinions before a judgment is handed down.

This was taken from an Aussie news Paper readers submission.

1) Corby imported drugs worth $40,000 in Sydney to a country where they will be worth less than $4,000.

2) No finger prints were taken on the bag.

3) No video evidence was available.

4) No attempt was made at concealing the drug, it was placed on top of the surfboard where it will be immediately visible upon opening the bag.

I can't help wonder why an organised gang of Australian smugglers would make no attempt to conceal the drugs, and I seriously doubt if the drugs were worth more in Australia, if so, that again rules out the organised Drug Smuggling ring theory.

She got caught doing what she should not have been doing, if it was a bloke from UK getting caught in Bangkok, you guys would be sentencing him to death before the trial, yet cos she is a White woman in Indonesia you go along with the " She must be innocent " lobby, what if she was a Nigerian woman, would you also presume her innocent?

I believe she knew exactly what she was doing, (every smuggler screams he/she has been set up when they are caught.), she thought Indonesia would be an easy place to go and do that, no doubt other Aussies have used the same route and same methods and got away with it, she was the unlucky one that got caught, that's all.

I hope she tells Bakir to piddle off back to Aus & gets a new team of lawyers, this lot were pathetic.

Bakir is now offering an undisclosed reward for more info........ yeah, right Ron, I'm sure your creditors are all listening back in Aus. :o

He's a bloody auto erotic practitioner. Her lawyers were clearly inept and inexperienced. Their arguments were completely meritless at Indonesian law. Leave ole mum home for the appeal too. Abusing the prosecutors and judges in the court was not the wisest move either.

and the australian goverment offered oc's which was knocked back..why, were they scared thy were going to find something she didn't like :D

is she a naive surfie chick or a calculating drug mule? i believe the latter :D

and before everybody jumps on me, this is an open forum and i have followed the case, there are many other aussies around the world in jail claiming the same :D

i agree with derril...those boobs and a pretty girl image set it all off :D

1 SLCs bag was virtually made for the job of carrying the package.

It could have been placed in her bag by someone she trusted.

It would have been removed by others at their destination.

2 Who carried the bag to the check-in counter at Brisbane?

3 She was travelling with three other companions, not alone.

4 The marijuana was in a sealed vacuum packed plastic pack ( 4.1kgs).

5 Security screening on outbound baggage is for dangerous goods.

6 You are held responsible for what is in your baggage.

7 Did she pack her baggage herself?

8 The bag was not locked /secured at check-in.

9 When apprehended at Denpasar by customs she used this as a defence as to why

the marijuana was in her bag.

10 She was an experienced traveller, and had visited Bali several times before.

11 She was apprehended as a courier smuggling a class A drug between Australia and

Indonesia at Denpasar.

12 She checked in late at Brisbane at 0533hrs, the aircraft departed for Sydney at

0600hrs on 08/10/2004.was there any reason for this late check-in?

13 All of the baggage was checked though to Denpasar and would have the destination

airport code on the baggage label.The code for Denpasar is DPS.

14 Why was all the baggage checked in under her name?

15 She may not have realised that she had been detected by customs and then tried to

bluff her way though but she was already under surveillance once the baggage had

been claimed at the carousel.If she was carrying the bag herself why did she not

notice the extra weight?

1 SLCs bag was virtually made for the job of carrying the package.

It could have been placed in her bag by someone she trusted.

It would have been removed by others at their destination.

2 Who carried the bag to the check-in counter at Brisbane?

3 She was travelling with three other companions, not alone.

4 The marijuana was in a sealed vacuum packed plastic pack ( 4.1kgs).

5 Security screening on outbound baggage is for dangerous goods.

6 You are held responsible for what is in your baggage.

7 Did she pack her baggage herself?

8 The bag was not locked /secured at check-in.

9 When apprehended at Denpasar by customs she used this as a defence as to why

the marijuana was in her bag.

10 She was an experienced traveller, and had visited Bali several times before.

11 She was apprehended as a courier smuggling a class A drug between Australia and

Indonesia at Denpasar.

12 She checked in late at Brisbane at 0533hrs, the aircraft departed for Sydney at

0600hrs on 08/10/2004.was there any reason for this late check-in?

13 All of the baggage was checked though to Denpasar and would have the destination

airport code on the baggage label.The code for Denpasar is DPS.

14 Why was all the baggage checked in under her name?

15 She may not have realised that she had been detected by customs and then tried to

bluff her way though but she was already under surveillance once the baggage had

been claimed at the carousel.If she was carrying the bag herself why did she not

notice the extra weight?

Have you read the plethora of information on this case for the last 6 months or so that answers most of these questions?

"The law in NSW and every other Australian jurisdiction is absolutely identical to that in Indonesia respecting the 'onus of proof' in drug importation cases. Where a defendant is found to be in possession of drugs (whether heroin, cocaine, or marijuana) on entering this country, the normal 'burden of proof' (ie: 'innocent until proven guilty') is reversed. This means that in Australia, just as in Indonesia, it is the responsibility of THE ACCUSED to prove that they were not 'knowingly concerned' in the importation of the drugs. They do not, however, have to prove this 'beyond reasonable doubt', but only 'on the BALANCE of the evidence'. (This unusual reversal of 'the burden of proof' also applies in certain tax cases.) It may be unfair - but that does not alter the fact that the law in this respect is the same in Australia as it is in Indonesia. People also seem to lose sight of the fact that anyone found in possession of a traffickable quantity of drugs upon entering ANY country, must expect to have to clear themselves at law... normally before a court. And then it will be up to the court to determine whether the accused is innocent or guilty.

even the commissoner believes the idea that Corby is the unwitting victim of drug smugglers is flimsy.

why put 4kg in a bag from brisbane to sydney if it was destined for the ozzy market, especially if is was australian grown :D

can anyone show me court snippers where it was discussed about her baggage check-in weight, this is normally on your sticker or for sure on the airlines computer :D

and 4kg of hydronally growm grass sells for usd$40k on the street in bali :o

Her case also faced problems when her financial backer, Australian businessman, Ron Bakir, claimed the prosecution would ask for a lighter sentence if they were paid a bribe. He later withdrew the remarks and apologized in writing to the prosecution.

Typical lary Aussie loudmouth tycoon. If he'd shut -up and paid the bribe in the usual quiet way she'd be out. I've been involved in numerous verdict-rigging cases in Indonesia.

Anyway, she'll be quietly released into Aussie custody in the near future. Then she'll do a nominal couple of years there, then back home to her family - probably write a book about it.

Sgt Somchai will be released in Thailand at about the same time. Swings and Roundabouts.

even the commissoner believes the idea that Corby is the unwitting victim of drug smugglers is flimsy.

why put 4kg in a bag from brisbane to sydney if it was destined for the ozzy market, especially if is was australian grown :D

can anyone show me court snippers where it was discussed about her baggage check-in weight, this is normally on your sticker or for sure on the airlines computer :D

Answer these questions then....

"Why, if Corby was smuggling the drugs, did she not take the basic precaution of putting a lock on her bodyboard bag?

Why did she not put the drugs behind the bodyboard, which would have concealed them from anyone opening the bag? Why did she not try to conceal the contents of the plastic bags?

Why would anyone risk a death sentence smuggling marijuana to Bali, where it will sell for much less than in Australia?

The federal police confirm that Corby has no criminal record. Queensland police have no intelligence to relate her to drugs.

The drug's wholesale price in Brisbane is $4000 -$4500 for half a kilogram. Where did a woman who works in a fish and chip shop get the A$36,000 it could cost to buy 4.1 kilograms?

Her case also faced problems when her financial backer, Australian businessman, Ron Bakir, claimed the prosecution would ask for a lighter sentence if they were paid a bribe. He later withdrew the remarks and apologized in writing to the prosecution.

Typical lary Aussie loudmouth tycoon. If he'd shut -up and paid the bribe in the usual quiet way she'd be out. I've been involved in numerous verdict-rigging cases in Indonesia.

Anyway, she'll be quietly released into Aussie custody in the near future. Then she'll do a nominal couple of years there, then back home to her family - probably write a book about it.

Sgt Somchai will be released in Thailand at about the same time. Swings and Roundabouts.

he is a bankrupt and just another <deleted> publicity seeker, he suppose to have a 1mil$ award that never came of the ground because he forgot, yeah sure..i'm broke he meant :o

Edited by kreon

Her bags were never weighed in Bali.

Answer these questions then....

"Why, if Corby was smuggling the drugs, did she not take the basic precaution of putting a lock on her bodyboard bag?

Why did she not put the drugs behind the bodyboard, which would have concealed them from anyone opening the bag? Why did she not try to conceal the contents of the plastic bags?

Why would anyone risk a death sentence smuggling marijuana to Bali, where it will sell for much less than in Australia?

The federal police confirm that Corby has no criminal record. Queensland police have no intelligence to relate her to drugs.

The drug's wholesale price in Brisbane is $4000 -$4500 for half a kilogram. Where did a woman who works in a fish and chip shop get the A$36,000 it could cost to buy 4.1 kilograms?

maybe because she was just a naive mule, even putting on a lock etc, wouldn't have helped, maybe she was tipped off, dont forget her sister lives in bali for a long time, perhaps she was asked to carry a package for her :D

there are 9 aussies in bali jail right now, most of them with no prior criminal or drug records, does that make them not guilty :D

and 4kg of hydronally growm grass sells for usd$40k on the street in bali :D

may i correct this...another contradiction,

He said he was pleased the judge made two points in Corby's favour - that her baggage was not weighed before she left Brisbane so no comparison could be made in Bali, and that she had no history of drug use.

well this bugs me...in flying 35 years+, i always had my luggage weighted, its against the rules not to check weight because all aircraft need to know payload before take-off :D

i think they're hiding something there :o

The other Aussies that were caught are as guilty as sin, and I think they even admitted it when they were caught.They also dobbed in their other friends/drug dealers who are well known in criminal circles....I seem to remember reading.

Colby is either not guilty IMO, or the dumbist bint in the world. Any drug dog would have gone crazy at this bag if they got a wiff within 10 metres.

Many callers to radio talk shows were incensed, and some said they regretted giving making donations to Indonesian tsunami victims. Others called for Australians to boycott Bali.

....what unpleasant individuals.

(From the Jakarta Post)

Many callers to radio talk shows were incensed, and some said they regretted giving making donations to Indonesian tsunami victims. Others called for Australians to boycott Bali.

....what unpleasant individuals.

(From the Jakarta Post)

unbelievable...are they going to start a war over this :D

and the innocent tsunami victims, as well businessman/workers in bali have to suffer, common gimme a break, are all the brits now going to boycott kanachanburi :o

Edited by kreon

may i correct this...another contradiction,

He said he was pleased the judge made two points in Corby's favour - that her baggage was not weighed before she left Brisbane so no comparison could be made in Bali, and that she had no history of drug use.

well this bugs me...in flying 35 years+, i always had my luggage weighted, its against the rules not to check weight because all aircraft need to know payload before take-off ermm:

i think they're hiding something there :whistling:

Who is hiding something here? Colby or the Aussie Authorities?

The problem is that the defence can establish a lot of doubt but no proof. From the outset, Mr Wiswantanu insisted that the only way he would accept that Corby was innocent was proof - visual or by weight - that the marijuana was not in the bodyboard bag when she checked it in at Brisbane airport. Or visual evidence of someone putting the drugs in the bodyboard bag.

We all know that from the start, there was no real evidence that could prove her innocence...no camera footage, no fingerprints, a botched case regarding contaminated evidence in Bali and no weights. :D

I thought all comments were pretty good and looking at both sides of the coin there are plenty of thoughts and its allowable,what if the same thing happened in Thailand? do you think the Thai system do the same?My self I think so.

As for the legal eagles,well little honest John didn't want a bar of it early on so she was lucky some one offered any type of help and support.

She was very vulnerable and lets hope she gets better Legal help which has been offered and l would imagine be taken up as the appeal goes into action.

I really can't see the appeal doing any good except for the try.

And a chance for her to be allowed to spend her time in an Australian jail.

One thing puzzles me when I hear of people caught with drugs, they say that the drugs were planted and its the first time that they saw them.

OK I will give them the benefit of doubt but it is assumed that about 10 % of drug smugglers get caught leaving 90 % with the stuff.

How many people arriving at the hotel with unbeknown to them hidden drugs in their baggage then telephone the police to tell them that have this contraband?

Not many I bet.

Another point is how do the people who plant the stuff know the whereabouts of the person carrying the stuff and if they do how do they retrieve it?

One thing puzzles me when I hear of people caught with drugs, they say that the drugs were planted and its the first time that they saw them.

OK I will give them the benefit of doubt but it is assumed that about 10 % of drug smugglers get caught leaving 90 % with the stuff.

How many people arriving at the hotel with unbeknown to them hidden drugs in their baggage then telephone the police to tell them that have this contraband?

Not many I bet.

Another point is how do the people who plant the stuff know the whereabouts of the person carrying the stuff and if they do how do they retrieve it?

This is a passage from the Sinnie Morning Herald..

AN INNOCENT MULE - AND A CAMEL

Steve, a Melbourne man, has no idea whether a baggage handler or someone else messed with his bag in 1997, but he knows what he found when he got to Bali: a bag of marijuana, the size of a loaf of bread, packed tight. For seven years this was a strange but historic relic from his travelling past.

And then came Corby. Steve and his wife went public, telling Channel Nine that on finding the drugs when they got to their Bali hotel, they called the Australian consulate for advice. They were told to flush it down the toilet. "If you get caught with that, mate, you'll be eating nasi goreng for the rest of your life," he says he was told.

Steve - who went public the day Ford appeared at Corby's trial - says he tried to flush the dope, but failed. He sprinkled it around the hotel garden. The Department of Foreign Affairs confirms the travellers did call the vice-consul. Steve is adamant there is only one place the drugs could have been planted: the airport. "The only time my suitcase was out of my sight was when it was on the plane and on the carousel at the airport."

What happened to Steve's bag once it left the check-in counter eight years ago will never be known. But David Cox knows what happened to his. A little more than a month ago he had checked in his luggage for a flight to Melbourne when someone drew his attention to the shenanigans taking place on the Sydney Airport tarmac. An airport worker was driving between the terminal and the plane wearing a camel suit - the same camel suit Cox had packed in his checked luggage. He was taking it to Melbourne for an AFL promotions event.

Cox went public. Straight away, he had thought about Corby.

What ever evidence she had in her favour never fazed any of the judges and she has the appeal to look forward to but with these QC they are offering be able to call on any evidence of baggage weights, etc.

Even if she is innocent the problem remains she got caught with it in her bag and admitted it was her bag.Christ when I go to Thailand I watch my hand luggage like a hawk and unless some thing was planted by a luggage handler either end you wouldn't know what was in your unaccompanied luggage until you opened it and out of 5 times I have been to Thailand from Australia l have never been searched,but what if one day it was opened and the same thing as she has claimed happened to her happened to myself or one of us?

I believe one can't asume guilt or innocence but can have an opinion formed on information the press has given us and every one knows how sensational they are with detail.

Steve, a Melbourne man, has no idea whether a baggage handler or someone else messed with his bag in 1997, but he knows what he found when he got to Bali: a bag of marijuana, the size of a loaf of bread, packed tight. For seven years this was a strange but historic relic from his travelling past.

If this is true none of us have no way of knowing but he kept quite for long enough to tell the world about his experience with drug running.

I notice there was no mention of how the weed was going to be retrieved the same way it was packed? By stealth?

If this is true none of us have no way of knowing but he kept quite for long enough to tell the world about his experience with drug running.

I notice there was no mention of how the weed was going to be retrieved the same way it was packed? By stealth?

good point..who is going to retrieve it..story does not make sense, bad advice from the consul, he could have been hurt and again a loaf must weigh at least 10kg and he did not notice that :o

again use samsonite bags, or if possible at all have carry-on luggage :D

Like Hugh Williams the TWU boss said why would you take the risk of putting the stuff in a bag at the airport with camera's,sniffer dogs,security,when you can truck it down in a bigger quantity practically any time they want with ease and saftey. :o

That is from Brisbane to Sydney or Melbourne.

Edited by Aussieguy