HansBlinkers

mae salong,chaing rai provence,

chinese comunity,

the kids throw water at passing traffic

which is fine if you have a car,

but generally the adults don't get involved,

and when your in the market your fine,

definatley the most low key place i've seen

If I am correct, don't bother with Laos or Cambodia as they throw water there too. In India they cover you with different color paints and they sell a potent Ganja drink that is legal during that time, but I'm not sure it is on the same days.

Is it true that in Pattaya they have it at a different time too the rest of the country?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe it starts later. A few years ago I took my son and daughter in law to Pattaya after Songkran here - it was a nightmare and the idiot drunk farangs kept it going into the late evening. :)

Is it true that in Pattaya they have it at a different time too the rest of the country?

Yes. But before you think that's a good place to go, think again. Chonburi Province (incl. Pattaya) celebrates a couple days later, but the resulting situation is that 'some' people play in the regular Songkran days, and 'some' people at the Chonburi days. The result is that you never have any point in time where everyone at the same time wants to have a party, so the result is pretty terrible.

Personally I LOVE Songkran, every bit of it, and I also LOVE Pattaya, but I really would not recommend Pattaya over Songkran, either the Thai dates or Chonburi dates.

If you want to avoid it, go anywhere in the South. Phuket and neighbouring provinces celebrates 1 day. Next day: nothing. Back to normal. (Southerners wouldn't know a good party if it bit them in the nuts. :D )

Anyway, I'm really, REALLY looking forward to the party this year.. Bring it on!! :D

Note: Quite possible for some people all that is needed to add some moderation to the festivities is: Buy A Car. Some 'motorbike Farangs' indeed find that it's hard to avoid. For me, I lock the doors of the car and can get anywhere just fine if required. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Note to self: Remember to block ear canal if playing near the moat.

Note to self: Remember posting this note to self, when I find myself with ear infection, not having bothered.

Note to self: Do spend one whole day with the wife by the moat (and enjoy it), and the other days indoors having stockpiled ciggies and other essentials.

Note to self: Pop into Tesco's before going to town and avoid paying 3 times the price for the latest, best, squirt bazooka/gun.

Note to self: Remember posting this note to self, when I find myself with ear infection, not having bothered.

Note to self: Do spend one whole day with the wife by the moat (and enjoy it), and the other days indoors having stockpiled ciggies and other essentials.

Note to self: Pop into Tesco's before going to town and avoid paying 3 times the price for the latest, best, squirt bazooka/gun.

4 sound things to remmeber. Sage advice!

I like you. :)

However: Tescos do not sell the best water guns. They sell neutered devices that are best described as 'toys for kids'. The nozzle is just not big enough. I can post a picture of the good ones later, and they ARE more expensive; expect to pay around 500 baht. (500 baht at some of the shops near Kad Luang / Warorot in the Chinese area, and there's a guy usually near the shops near the Imm Thapae hotel who also has them, at 600 baht or possibly even more this year.

Fundamental Truth in Life: There is no such thing as spending too much money on guns. And you get what you pay for. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I like you. :)

However: Tescos do not sell the best water guns. They sell neutered devices that are best described as 'toys for kids'. The nozzle is just not big enough. I can post a picture of the good ones later, and they ARE more expensive; expect to pay around 500 baht. (500 baht at some of the ships near Kad Luang / Warorot in the Chinese area, and there's a guy usually near the ships near the Imm Thapae hotel who also has them, at 600 baht or even more this year.

There is no such thing as spending too much money on guns. And you get what you pay for. :D

Every year, I see so many farang making fools of themselves with these 'GUNS'. Always seem to aim for peoples faces.

By comparison, I see very few Thais with these GUNS.

Why not celebrate Songran the way it is intended- By throwning water, not shooting it at people... :D

I like you. :D

However: Tescos do not sell the best water guns. They sell neutered devices that are best described as 'toys for kids'. The nozzle is just not big enough. I can post a picture of the good ones later, and they ARE more expensive; expect to pay around 500 baht. (500 baht at some of the shops near Kad Luang / Warorot in the Chinese area, and there's a guy usually near the shops near the Imm Thapae hotel who also has them, at 600 baht or possibly even more this year.

Fundamental Truth in Life: There is no such thing as spending too much money on guns. And you get what you pay for. :D

Are there no TV-members, perhaps based down in the Pattaya area, who have extensive-experience of modifying weapons, and which they might share with the rest of us ? Or is this knowledge restricted by law to yellow-Hummer drivers only ? :)

For years I have dreamed of having a bigger 'nozzle', what's it like ? :D

ug.

re ... Please post photos!

here ya go ...... not huge supersoakers i know but the first ones i saw this year was 27 mar : (

ljw.

re .... By comparison, I see very few Thais with these GUNS.

if your right ? who are they selling them to two weeks before songkran ?

the average tourist i think stays 3 4 0r 5 days in chiang mai at the most ..... not two weeks

enjoy pics .... dave2

ug.

re ... Please post photos!

here ya go ...... not huge supersoakers i know but the first ones i saw this year was 27 mar : (

ljw.

re .... By comparison, I see very few Thais with these GUNS.

if your right ? who are they selling them to two weeks before songkran ?

the average tourist i think stays 3 4 0r 5 days in chiang mai at the most ..... not two weeks

enjoy pics .... dave2

Happy days are here again. Bring on the water wars. :)

I like you. :D

However: Tescos do not sell the best water guns. They sell neutered devices that are best described as 'toys for kids'. The nozzle is just not big enough. I can post a picture of the good ones later, and they ARE more expensive; expect to pay around 500 baht. (500 baht at some of the ships near Kad Luang / Warorot in the Chinese area, and there's a guy usually near the ships near the Imm Thapae hotel who also has them, at 600 baht or even more this year.

There is no such thing as spending too much money on guns. And you get what you pay for. :D

Every year, I see so many farang making fools of themselves with these 'GUNS'. Always seem to aim for peoples faces.

By comparison, I see very few Thais with these GUNS.

Why not celebrate Songran the way it is intended- By throwning water, not shooting it at people... :D

Oh, I do that too. But there is a time and a place for everything. When celebrating with the people in the village it's mostly with silver cups and scented flowers. :D But when in the Thapae area, it becomes a different ballgame intirely. I don't spend most of my time there, but when there, around the bars, I need to be prepared. :)

Please post photos! :)

Get one of these. They come in gray-purple, red-black and red-blue. 500-600 baht, but not at the main supermarkets. Indeed those PVC tube things are also good, but with those you always need to be near a water supply (read: bucket). With a gun you can mingle a bit more.

post-64232-1270391331_thumb.jpg

This was taken today by the way; one of the great things about having a four year old is that you get to start Songkran early. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yeah. :D I remember my first Songkran when those things were only around strictly home-made, with a wooden rod and tightly packed cloth for the plunger. :)

Currenlty you do see them, but then with nozzles that are all wrong; just splatter & spray, no reach.

If they're hard to find I'm going back to home-made; they're not exactly rocket science to engineer. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai