Songkran On Samui...

I'm wondering what Songkran on Samuai is like. Is it packed full of crazed water throwing tourist like up in Chiang Mai or a bit more mellow? Must room bookings be made weeks in advance, or are there enough rooms to go around? What's it like in the middle of the island away from the ring road and the beaches?

I'm a Bangkok resident and I'm trying to figure out where to go to. Basically I'm looking to get away from any major Songkran madness.

I though I'd solved the issue last year when I decided to stay in Bangers, but the red shirts and the soldiers had other ideas. I didn't need to listen to the sounds of gunfire a mere 150m from my place, and I'm not planning to allow for a repeat of that!

Songkran is the best day of the year. Better than any Xmas I've ever had, even growing up as a kid!

It's war, all out war. Especially around lunchtime/afternoon in central Lamai/Chaweng - that's when things hot up!....

Every man for themselves as far as I'm concerned!

I've had a few amazing Songkran's - an absolute scream. Dual Super-Soakers at the ready.... The best is when you get hit with pure ice water down the back - it toughens up the central nervous system for sure! There's certainly a shock to getting hit by ice cold water on a warm day. I love it.

I've really enjoyed all the Songkran's here, everyone is out having fun, what a great day! Again, it's what you make of it.

It all seems to end when it gets dark, you get a few stragglers with buckets of water. It's definitely a bonus it’s only for one day here, I couldn’t imagine a few days of it!

Enjoy!

Matt.

post-78406-1270040318_thumb.jpg

post-78406-1270040357_thumb.jpg

Songkran is the best day of the year. Better than any Xmas I've ever had, even growing up as a kid!

It's war, all out war. Especially around lunchtime/afternoon in central Lamai/Chaweng - that's when things hot up!....

Every man for themselves as far as I'm concerned!

I've had a few amazing Songkran's - an absolute scream. Dual Super-Soakers at the ready.... The best is when you get hit with pure ice water down the back - it toughens up the central nervous system for sure! There's certainly a shock to getting hit by ice cold water on a warm day. I love it.

I've really enjoyed all the Songkran's here, everyone is out having fun, what a great day! Again, it's what you make of it.

It all seems to end when it gets dark, you get a few stragglers with buckets of water. It's definitely a bonus it’s only for one day here, I couldn’t imagine a few days of it!

Enjoy!

Matt.

Great pics Matt, thanks for sharing them. Anyone interested in joining me for Songkran I am fully equipped this year:

post-64713-1270040906_thumb.jpg

Bridge

Its a lovely Thai tradition which sadly has got completely out of hand & in some cases dangerous, not helped by Westerners who behave like complete & utter C*cks during a time that has no relevence to them whatsoever except that they just so happen to be in Thailand on the dates that Songkran is... :)

Its a lovely Thai tradition which sadly has got completely out of hand & in some cases dangerous, not helped by Westerners who behave like complete & utter C*cks during a time that has no relevence to them whatsoever except that they just so happen to be in Thailand on the dates that Songkran is... :D

Actually, I agree with this!!! :)

Its a lovely Thai tradition which sadly has got completely out of hand & in some cases dangerous, not helped by Westerners who behave like complete & utter C*cks during a time that has no relevence to them whatsoever except that they just so happen to be in Thailand on the dates that Songkran is... :)

Take it as you will, everyone has their opinion. Yes, a long time ago it was throwing a few splashes of water from a cup on to someone, times move on...

I think you'll also find the Thai's also behave like complete & utter C*cks as well, especially the younger ones. Weren't you young once MSingh?

For the Thai's, it's a great excuse to "get the farang..." :D

I remember my first Songkran, I took out a water proof camera with me which I had hanging from my wrist on a piece of string. The amount of Thai's that shot at the camera and not me was amazing. There was water pinging of the camera all day long. "ying klong tai roop" (shoot the camera) - little did they know it was water-proof....

I spent that first Songkran walking around Lamai photographing the whole occasion with no alcohol. How is that acting like an utter C*ck?

Oh, and not all Westerners behave like complete & utter C*cks on Songkran, some of us live here and have done for a while and the day definitely has relevance to us.

Matt.

Unfortunately true, it's gotten out of hand although it still can be fun. If you drive, either on bike or car, drive very carefully!

My fave pic last year which I took in Chaweng on the way home;

post-12697-1270085892_thumb.jpg

best day of the year on samui imho. don't let the party poopers spoil the event for you, some people just can't stand to see anyone have fun and enjoy themselves. it's a part of the island and a part of thailand and will be as much fun as you make it. great opportunity to break down the cultural barriers when you see the small children playing with hoses/pails and talc, smile when they splash you and splash them back, save the bucket dumping for the drunk adults and make some new friends along the way. sanook mak!

well i've been enjoying it here on samui for many years now and look forward to it more this year than previous years.

my observation is that some people on this thread enjoy telling children that santa claus is not real while others enjoy watching youngsters and those still young at heart enjoy the event for what it is.

Joe,

Part of the problem is that people who need to work the day before the official Songkran starts still get soaked by some <deleted> although they clearly indicate that they don't want to get wet, let alone that it's not even Songkran.

Don't get me wrong tho, on Songkran pretty much everything is fair game.

It can be fun but over the years I've also seen and witnessed some really nasty accidents and that can take the fun out of it.

these things do happen i suppose, no matter where you live. some people have to work nearby the festa dei serpari (procession of the snake catchers), the Poryong Mud Festival in Korea, and imagine working nearby or en route the La Tomatina festival in Spain.

i say bring on the water (no ice cubes/bodily fluids/etc please)

Agreed, but some Thai's behave just as bad. Far too many people die on the roads during Songrkan. Nothing nice about mourning the death of a loved one killed during what is supposed to be a joyous occasion.

Joe,

Part of the problem is that people who need to work the day before the official Songkran starts still get soaked by some <deleted> although they clearly indicate that they don't want to get wet, let alone that it's not even Songkran.

Don't get me wrong tho, on Songkran pretty much everything is fair game.

It can be fun but over the years I've also seen and witnessed some really nasty accidents and that can take the fun out of it.

It's good fun if you know what to expect. Just don't ride a motorbike it's really,really dangerous!

My observation is that newbies to Thailand tend to enjoy it a lot more than old hands.

Agreed with this one. Whilst i can still enjoy the day when I finally manage to get to where my friends are located, it has taken me sometimes 2 or 3 hours just to drive there. And this is simply from Maenam to Chaweng. If you need to get somewhere on Songkran day whether it be to meet up with friends or some other engagement, can forget it unless you are happy enough to sit in your car edging forward 5 metres every 3 minutes. I think I will stay indoors this year. Or maybe not ?

well i've been enjoying it here on samui for many years now and look forward to it more this year than previous years.

my observation is that some people on this thread enjoy telling children that santa claus is not real while others enjoy watching youngsters and those still young at heart enjoy the event for what it is.

you are totally wrong, if you are trying to analyse that people who dislike/don't care about Songkran are people who don't like children and can't have fun and can't enjoy an easy life. A totally superficial biased justification indeed.

If you like that it's ok, go on and splash others who want to get soaked without hurting someone, but don't prejudge people who prefer to stay somewhere peaceful. Otherwise I will tell Santa Claus about your behaviour this year! :)

So basically I'm hearing that it is only celebrated for just one day, April 13th, plus or minus a little bit. That's fine by me and that's unlike BKK, CM, or Pattaya where it seems to be a 3 day event, again, plus or minus a little bit, which really gets old quickly I think.

From another thread I read that hotel bookings during Songkran are predicted to be down, so no worries on finding a place on short notice it seems.

Are there any guest houses or accommodation in the middle of the island away from the beaches?

So basically I'm hearing that it is only celebrated for just one day, April 13th, plus or minus a little bit. That's fine by me and that's unlike BKK, CM, or Pattaya where it seems to be a 3 day event, again, plus or minus a little bit, which really gets old quickly I think.

From another thread I read that hotel bookings during Songkran are predicted to be down, so no worries on finding a place on short notice it seems.

Are there any guest houses or accommodation in the middle of the island away from the beaches?

Re Samui, apart from Dec 23rd-Jan 10th you can pretty much book anywhere you want.

There are some very quiet small villages.

Try google "Taling Ngam", "Thong Krut" and "Bang Kao".

They are located in the south of Samui and very far away from mayor tourist places like Chaweng and Lamai.

There is also Koh Taen, a small island south of Samui with a population of 30 locals.

One place I know is water proof is The Jungle Club.

Been there one afternoon on songkran for some R&R. :)

Edited by PoorSucker